Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:43:08 am

Author Topic: Bearings and Triangulation  (Read 779 times)  Share 

Jarrod__H

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Bearings and Triangulation
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:04:16 pm »
9J Edrolo: Bearings and Triangulation.
Can someone be a absolute legend and help explain bearings to me, the geometry module is my weakness and this chapter is killing me inside.
No matter how many questions or video's I watch, the concept escapes my grasp. Please assist in any way possible.

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
Re: Bearings and Triangulation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:31:27 pm »
+3
Let’s try this. Right now, stand and turn your body to face North. If you are not sure in whic direction that is, look at a map of your locality.
Done? If you are facing North, then you are looking in a direction that has a bearing of 000 degrees.
Now turn right 90 degrees. You are now looking in a direction that has a bearing of 090 degrees.
Turn right 90 degrees again to face South and you will look along a bearing of 180 degrees.
West is a further 90 degree turn from South and has you facing along a bearing of 270 degrees.  If you are facing West, and then again turn right, you will be looking along a bearing of 360 degrees but, since this is back to North, we usually revert to calling 000 degrees again.
It follows that, if you had turned to look along a bearing of, say, 225 degrees, you have actually turned halfway between South (180 degrees) and West (270 degrees).

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Bearings and Triangulation
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:02:38 pm »
Exactly like what plato said!

An example of this would be if you started where you are now and took ten large steps north. You would have travelled 10 metres along a true bearing of 000 degrees from your starting point (SP).

If you were at SP and you took ten large steps directly east, you would have travelled 10 metres along a true bearing of 090 degrees from SP.