Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:44 am

Author Topic: How to write a PIP Introduction  (Read 11088 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
How to write a PIP Introduction
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:55:26 am »
+8
Hey 2019'ers!
First of all, good on you for picking society and culture; It's a great course!!
You're about to embark on the most rewarding part of it-the PIP

I encourage you ALL to check out our Resources thread for a whole bunch of stuff that will help you in both completing your pips and the overall course
Now without further ado..

There's already been a thread on how to write a PIP intro, but for the sake of having multiple options (so you pick what you think suits you best and is the easiest for you) here is another one. Now this is the structure i used for my pip in 2018. I found it to be easy to make and ticked all the boxes of whats expected in the intro.
The intro is one of the first things you should be doing. Once you have the green light for a topic, you should start writing your first drafts (not the CM, that will begin after you collect your research) and the first part of that is your introduction draft.
The structure i propose goes like this:
Paragraph 1:
What is your pip about?
Why did you choose it?

This is just a barebones introduction of what your topic is that you will be focusing your pip around. This shouldn't be too long as it's not a very in depth paragraph and you'll need the extra words elsewhere
Paragraph 2:
What is your central hypothesis-what will you be focusing your research around-what are you setting out to prove in the writing of your pip?
Start by stating your actual hypothesis, then explain it. What is it dealing with? Use these questions as a base guideline. Again remember not to overdo it in terms of too many words and explanation.
Paragraph 3:
What methodologies are you using/have used in your pip? Why have you picked them?
When i say why, justify them-why did you pick them for your topic, why are they best suited to it and how do they benefit the topic more than others?

This is why i say keep the first two paragraphs short and sweet because this one will take some more words for it to be adequately addressed in a way that makes sense
Paragraph 4:
What is your cross-cultural component addressing?
How will you include a focus on change and continuity?

Now im a bit hazy with this, im not 100% sure on whether you need to include these in your intro as part of the guidelines. But they are most definitely compulsory to include within the central material so i would most certainly recommend that you include them here, so that markers have no doubt in their minds when they mark your pips. Yiou want it to be clear in the markers mind as soon as they read your intro.
With your cross-cultural compoent, explain how it will allow you as a research to empathsise with the 'other' group. For example, if you're looking at both australian teenagers and chinese teenagers and how they have different upbringings then the 'other' group would be chinese teenagers.
Also explain how the cross cultural study presents you with a view that is beyond your normal realm of experience. How is it different to your own micro, meso and macro world experiences, thus allowing you to develop social and cultural literacy.
Also keep in mind that the change and continuity and cross-cultural components have to be exploring different areas!
Paragraph 6:
This is where you tie everything together to make cohesive sense.
It should also mention how this pip 'journey' will enhance your skills as a researcher as well as improve your social and cultural literacy.

So thats it! Remember that the maximum word limit for the pip introduction is 500 words
Don't worry about that too much at this stage. What you should aim to do is write down everything you want to then start to cut it down afterwards. But just keep that word limit in the back of your mind at all times. Please don't stress about that too much. My final copy was a few words over 500. It shouldn't hurt if your final copy is 510 words. Just don't make it 600 words! That's where it becomes a problem
If you would like to see an example of this structure in action, i have included a copy of my final introduction for my pip. This is my final work and the one i submitted to NESA. It is attached to the bottom of this document:

Good luck on your pip jounrneys!! It is seriously a rewarding experience at the end of the day
If you have any other pip related questions or would like an intro marked, then drop them into the PIP Thread
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU