Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:31 am

Author Topic: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC  (Read 73512 times)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »
I have paper 2 tomorrow and I'm super worried tbh, I know that the Mod B question will be really specific and that will throw me off my game I reckon. I feel okay preparation wise, I haven't done the whole paper under timed conditions yet but I know my shit pretty well. I did a Mod A practice essay to the 2016 HSC question and it only took me 32 minutes, so hopefully that's the case for the rest of them. My writing is absolutely illegible tho lol

Omg no I think you think its going to be the worse thing ever but it actually ends up being okay. Legit thought the Mod B question was going to be so specific and so hard, yet it wasn't actually that bad!

Believe in yourself!!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2018, 10:27:13 pm »

Omg no I think you think its going to be the worse thing ever but it actually ends up being okay. Legit thought the Mod B question was going to be so specific and so hard, yet it wasn't actually that bad!

Believe in yourself!!
AW THANKS GAL, I'm really praying that is the case!!! I keep hearing people say it's not that bad but in my head it seems like it'd be so much worse than paper 1 hahaha!
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:50 pm »
Good luck for Paper 2!! I've still got a few days to go till paper 1. Do as Jamon would do, walk in like you own the place!!!! Then you'll smash it for sure!!

Aw thankyou!! Good luck for you with your exam aswell Xx

Mod edit: duplicate post! Things happen ahaha — I deleted the other one
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:57:33 am by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
+4
Omg guys. Today has been legit the worst day ever. I had my trial for paper 2, which was horrendous. They zoomed in on the theme betrayal for Mod B, so I was pretty much fucked. Mod C was shit as well - the only decent question was Mod A ugh. I did it in order of: C, B, A. I left Mod A till last because I intended it to be my shortest essay considering the question was quite broad. However, although I had written essays during my studies in 32-38 minutes, I did not manage my time very well during the actual exam because I kept overquoting ugh. I always follow the rule that I have to make my argument in 5 quotes, otherwise I move onto the next paragraph but I got so stressed that I completely neglected this principle, ending up with up to 8 ish quotes in some of my paragraphs. So I spent 45 mins on Mod C because I was overestimated my ability to write the other 2, and kept finding comfort in the fact that I had done the other two in under 40 mins during my practices so that it wouldn't matter if I exceeded 40 a tad. Not a good idea. When I had 30 minutes left on the clock, I hadn't even started my last paragraph for my second essay (mod B) and so I moved onto Mod A without doing it. I was so anxious the whole time because I knew in the back of my mind that I still had to go back to Mod B, but I figured it was better to do some of Mod A and some of Mod B than have all of Mod B and nothing for Mod A, you know? I ended up writing Mod A in about 27 minutes, but it was actually atrocious. My last paragraph especially - I had to cull my good quotes for the basic "2+2=5" because I knew it would take the least amount of time to write out lmao. It was just not good, and my essay would've been much better had I not been under the pressure to having to write out another Mod B para. My last mod A para had legit no substance - there was probably less than 3 quotes/techniques in there tbh, I wrote it in about 5 mins hahaha. Although I was able to have 5 mins left to return to Mod B and finish it, but my links to the question were just horrible tbh. I don't even think I was being rational, I was just scribbling whatever came to mind. Like omg, I've never bombed an English exam so hard, and I fucking studied my ass off for this. It just mainly annoys me that I was totally capable to writing out my essays in 35 mins at home, but this was not the case in the real thing. I have a feeling it's because I went to visit my English teacher today to ask her a question about Mod B, and at the end she was like "and work on your handwriting btw". I was confused at first because literally a week ago I inquired about the legibility of my writing and she told me that it wasn't that bad, but she said that she "looked at my paper one and was like wtf!" HAHAHA. This was kinda strange because I did not at all think my writing was bad for paper 1 - it was messy but I definitely tried to make it look good while I was writing. She told me not to worry about this for the trial because her eyes are tuned to read my writing, but that it was something we'd need to work on before the HSC. But nonetheless, I think having her say that subconsciously made a writer a lil neater (although it really wasn't at ALL), because I kept crossing my words out to rewrite them a bit more legibly. And this is by and large significantly worse than my writing for paper 1, so I'm really hoping it won't affect my mark or something like that - she said it wouldn't but it's literally so horrible that I wouldn't be surprised if it did lol.

Anyways, that whole paper 2 experience just made me want to cry. I'd be surprised if I got above 16 for Mods B and A - they were just utterly atrocious. That was not the worst thing though. I went to chill with a few friends after school, so I got home at around 6pm - when I realised that my laptop wasn't in my fucking bag. Again. My friend drove to school to check, but she didn't see it which is freaking me out. I'm pretty sure I left it outside a block near the English staffroom, so I'm really fucking hoping a teacher took it in. I have my major work backed up, so that's a relief - what's funny is that I literally anticipated this would happen a few days ago which made me copy it onto a USB and contemplated doing the same for my notes but I trivialised my thoughts. Of course it had to fucking happen. I can't even do anything about it until Monday, and my economics trial is on Tuesday. And I have no idea if the school has it or not, or if someone took it and I've lost my notes and essays forever. Ughhh. This anxiety is killing me. The fact that it's not my first time losing it, makes me think that I won't be so lucky this time. Fuck my life. I was already fucked for economics and now this has just made it worse ughhh. I legit hate my life.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:19:21 pm by Lumenoria »

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2018, 01:28:23 pm »
Hey, that's a pretty crappy position to be in, not gonna lie. The only  thing you can do is take a break and do something that you enjoy and get back into it. In the the long run, trials are just that, TRIALS, it's a time to experiment with your exam approaches. There will plenty of opportunity to swing back around in the HSC!! I wish you luck in the rest of your exams which I'm sure you will smash!!
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2018, 11:26:25 pm »
+1
Omg I have my trial for economics tomorrow and I'm freaking out ah. I've done a lot of study, but I'm worried because I haven't written an actual essay in the last 2 weeks. I've constructed heaps of essay plans and trend analysis stuff though, so I'm hoping it'll be good enough. There are a  few aspects of the syllabus that I didn't get around to, such as environmental sustainability and the international organisations. I'm kinda finding comfort in the fact that you're able to choose out of 2, but what the fuck am I supposed to do if those two ARE the only choices?? OMG I will literally scream if that comes to fruition hahaha. I really need to maintain my rank so I'm legit fucked if that occurs. I also don't want it to be on financial flows or protection because my essay would legit have no substance. Ugh. Also I found my laptop today!! My English teacher had it bless her soul gahaa

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:08 am »
+2
Had my economics exam yesterday, and it was honestly was not great. The multiple choice was fucking hard - it took me about 30 mins to get through, when usually I can get through them in 10 mins max. I swear some of the questions had options that were ALL wrong. Anyways, short answers were a bit obscure - I have a feeling I circumvented the question a tad at times, but overall I'm hoping to get over 36/40 for this section because it seems like a pretty reasonable goal. I overwrote way too much on some of them out of paranoia that my answer on the existing lines were inadequate to get to full mark, but better safe than sorry I guess. Omg the essay questions were honestly not that bad. I'm kinda salty there was nothing on income distribution or anything because I studied my ass off for this topic!! Like fuck, I had a full trend analysis and everything. AND THERE WASN'T ANYTHING ON MONETARY WHICH I ALSO STUDIED A LOT FOR. I tried to weave these through in my responses anyway to enhance my stance on the actual question and I think it was pretty well done. I did a question on recent fiscal policy on full employment and growth for the stimulus section, which was honestly fine but after hours of post exam contemplation, I have this gut feeling that my response did not address the question as well as it should've. Like ugh you know that feeling when you leave an exam and come to realise a point that you didn't make, but would've been so fucking good if you did? Literally me. I don't even remember if I made it or not since my memory of the exam itself isn't crystal clear, but I hope sooo. I also panicked a bit because I didn't really have a plan, so I wrote 12 pages and exceeded my time limit of one hour - I had 2 hours remaining for the 2 essays. I ended up having just 40 minutes for the other essay - which was horrible. It was a choice between financial flows and exchange rates, so I was basically backed into a corner because financial flows ain't my type of shit lol. At first I didn't mind exchange rates - I was actually celebrating in the reading time mentally upon seeing it - but omg it was harder than I thought. I had assumed that all my stats and trends would be in my mind after doing a practice essay, but I suppose it left my mind as I did it 2 weeks ago. I wrote about 7 pages for this, and I feel so sorry for my teacher because this is honestly the cringiest thing I've ever written. I lost all my structural balance as well because I got crazy anxiety in the process of writing in the realisation that I did not know as much as I had thought, so I felt like I was rambling and inserting a paragraph every now and then to ensure it wasn't one big blob. I don't think the content itself was horrible, but considering how much I had looked at the topic 2 weeks ago, I could've done better had I not assumed that I would retain all the stats after all that time. I even fucking forgot to include any graphs in both of the essays, except for one Phillips curve lol. Anyways, I'm worried because it would be nice to top the class, but rank 2 is only 1/2 a mark behind me atm so it's very close and I'm sure she would've done better than me. Ugh.

I've finished my all my trial exams now, finally. I seriously need to refine my major work because it's due tomorrow and I haven't looked at it since a month prior to trials when I finished. My teacher is lazy and never gives feedback so I have literally no idea if it's band 6 capable. I reckon my video is, but my portfolio seems to be a bit all over the place and less structured than I would've liked, so I'm not sure if that is also band 6 worthy. I have spent insurmountable efforts on it, so I'm really fucking hoping so. I gave myself the day off after economics and it seriously felt weird to "rejuvenate", to have nothing to do besides watching YouTube and the like. It honestly just made me feel shitty so I'm forcing myself to get back on the grind today. I need to make study notes for the entire Multimedia course - I haven't really done anything for the HSC written exam since I've been so focused on the major - but I really do need to do it. I basically have to as well because, although I am ranked first, everyone else in the class is significantly behind me so I want to take my own mark, which I'm hoping will be in the mid 90s after studying. In my half yearlies, we had a written exam and I got 90 studying the night before, so I guess that's a good sign but I'm not going to let myself slip for the HSC like that. I keep neglecting multimedia because I know I'm way ahead of everyone, but I really do need to be somewhat accountable for studying soon.

Hope everyone is having a good experience with trials. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:36:32 am by Lumenoria »

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2018, 08:30:49 am »
+1
At some point today, I have to go into the school to hand in my major work. I'm kinda salty at Officeworks because I paid $60 to bind my portfolio and print it in A3, but they fucking did it backwards. Like when they gave it back to me, I had a feeling it was wrong because the clear cover (which is supposed to be covering the title page) WAS covering my fucking evaluation!! And the black page - which is supposed to indicate the end of the folio - is at the front! UGH. I saw one of my friends there who was also getting his folio bound and addressed the concern with him, but he said it wouldn't matter than much lol. Plus I didn't want to be a pest of a customer, so I left. I got even more annoyed when I went home because I found so many typos in my work. Legit. I proofread it 30 times (I kid you not) and exported it a gazillion times because I kept stumbling upon mistakes, yet I was still unable to address ALL of them. I was a bit lazy tho admittedly - I really wasn't bothered to actually read through 56,000 words but ugh it's mildly infuriating to see that.

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2018, 06:38:21 pm »
+1
Today has been, quite eventful. I was actually looking forward to my first day of school post-trials, but the reality was in fact the diametric opposite of my imagination. Legit.

I walk into school, and bump into my English teacher on the way to the library (I had a free period). I hate seeing teachers in passing because I feel like there is not enough time to make any sort of significant interaction, so I tried to look the other way lol. I love her, but this is just a general rule I've always lived by. Anyways, so she calls my name, which prompts me to walk up to her. At this point, I'm thinking "oh maybe she just wants to see how I'm doing" and the like. OMG NO. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! She literally says to me "Your writing just keeps getting worse as I go!! You're going to have to read your essays (for trials) to us and we'll mark accordingly". She said "we'll talk after class", so I continued my day a little freaked out, but not particularly conscious of what she had said. I was mainly anxious about the fact that I'd have to read it out and be exposed to their reaction to my work at the same time - I just could not fathom being in that awkward situation. Later that morning, my friend wanted to go check her mark for one of her internal assessments for Standard English that had been done before trials, so I went with her just for moral support y'know. She was talking with her teacher, when the OTHER Advanced teacher called my name. She was like "Lumenoria, I can't read your essays and there's pages and pages of it", to which I responded "I know, Ms ______  (my teacher) told me". She kept going on about how she tried to read it so many times under the kitchen light etcetc but it was just impossible because she could only make out a few words per page. At this point, I was feeling a tad embarrassed. However, she did say "It's a shame because these are all A range responses, but I just can't tell where in the A range they fall", which made me feel a bit relieved, but I can't tell how credible that sentiment is considering she could barely decipher any of my shit - I'm assuming she said that based on the fact that I've gotten in the A range for every other internal assessment. I then asked what they would do in the actual HSC, and she said that they would pass it on to the senior marker but because my writing is that atrocious, she would've only given me a 17 if it were the HSC. She said that she and my teacher halved the marking load so she did Discovery creative, essay and Mod C, whilst my teacher did the remainder. So, essentially my teacher was able to read all of my writing, and this teacher was only able to read my discovery essay - meaning that I will have to read out my Mod C and creative to her tomorrow at lunch. OHMYGOD. WHY THE FUCK DOES IT HAVE TO BE CREATIVE GOD. That's honestly the worst part, because I feel like whenever I read it, I naturally dramatise my reading due to the connotations that I have selectively chosen for each word. AND I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BE RAISING MY VOICE OR ANY OF THAT SHIT, but at the same time, I feel like it's necessary to really get the vibe of the story, you know? (as distinct from an essay where everything's analytical) I addressed this concern with my teacher afterwards in class lol and she was like "CALM DOWN IT'S JUST A READING, NOT A PERFORMANCE - YOU DON'T NEED TO DO HAND GESTURES" HAHAH. Tbh when I saw my actual writing on the paper for trials, I did not think it was as horrible as they're making it out to be because I remember being super conscious of improving my handwriting in paper 2. Yet, my teacher literally told me, "YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE WRITTEN YOUR ESSAY IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE" LOL. Ah. I'm literally shook that I  even have to do this at all, and tbh I'm a bit more worried about tomorrow than I was for the actual trial itself - it doesn't help that we're getting all of Paper 1 (except for section 1 because we got that back today) and all of Paper 2 back aswell in first period. Obviously I won't be getting my mark back for Mod C and AOS creative until I do the reading, which honestly sucks because they were, by and large, my best sections - although I suppose it's good that I won't have to embarrass myself by reading aloud one of my shittier sections. I'm just worried she won't absorb all of what I say and it'll compromise my mark (which should otherwise be quite good because I spent the most time of these sections), because obviously it's harder to mark when a student is reading their essay to a teacher, relative to having a legible, hard copy of it to refer to - and usually they're double marked too. I'm just praying it all goes down well - worst case scenario will be me not being able to read my own writing, although I doubt this will happen.

We got section 1 of paper 1 back today, and I did so much shittier than I thought. I got a depressing 12/15, and the comment was "Your handwriting has cost you marks". This isn't too bad of a mark, but I know for a fact that I could've done better had my writing not been so trash. I'm just hoping my discovery essay will receive 14 or 15, because I'm really unsure how well my creative will do just by me reading it to the teacher - even though I got 14 for my internal assessment for it ah. Tomorrow when we get all of our marks back for English, I will legit want to die because Mod C was basically my saving grace and it's not even freaking marked yet. I'm estimating about 16/20 for Mod A (barely finished lmao), 18/20 for Mod B (hopefully) and about 14-15/15 for discovery, best case scenario. I really want to maintain 2nd place, but in light of all these happenings, I really do not think it is a plausible reality tbh. I guess it just depends on tomorrow.

FUCKK

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2018, 08:03:16 pm »
Today has been, quite eventful. I was actually looking forward to my first day of school post-trials, but the reality was in fact the diametric opposite of my imagination. Legit.

I walk into school, and bump into my English teacher on the way to the library (I had a free period). I hate seeing teachers in passing because I feel like there is not enough time to make any sort of significant interaction, so I tried to look the other way lol. I love her, but this is just a general rule I've always lived by. Anyways, so she calls my name, which prompts me to walk up to her. At this point, I'm thinking "oh maybe she just wants to see how I'm doing" and the like. OMG NO. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! She literally says to me "Your writing just keeps getting worse as I go!! You're going to have to read your essays (for trials) to us and we'll mark accordingly". She said "we'll talk after class", so I continued my day a little freaked out, but not particularly conscious of what she had said. I was mainly anxious about the fact that I'd have to read it out and be exposed to their reaction to my work at the same time - I just could not fathom being in that awkward situation. Later that morning, my friend wanted to go check her mark for one of her internal assessments for Standard English that had been done before trials, so I went with her just for moral support y'know. She was talking with her teacher, when the OTHER Advanced teacher called my name. She was like "Lumenoria, I can't read your essays and there's pages and pages of it", to which I responded "I know, Ms ______  (my teacher) told me". She kept going on about how she tried to read it so many times under the kitchen light etcetc but it was just impossible because she could only make out a few words per page. At this point, I was feeling a tad embarrassed. However, she did say "It's a shame because these are all A range responses, but I just can't tell where in the A range they fall", which made me feel a bit relieved, but I can't tell how credible that sentiment is considering she could barely decipher any of my shit - I'm assuming she said that based on the fact that I've gotten in the A range for every other internal assessment. I then asked what they would do in the actual HSC, and she said that they would pass it on to the senior marker but because my writing is that atrocious, she would've only given me a 17 if it were the HSC. She said that she and my teacher halved the marking load so she did Discovery creative, essay and Mod C, whilst my teacher did the remainder. So, essentially my teacher was able to read all of my writing, and this teacher was only able to read my discovery essay - meaning that I will have to read out my Mod C and creative to her tomorrow at lunch. OHMYGOD. WHY THE FUCK DOES IT HAVE TO BE CREATIVE GOD. That's honestly the worst part, because I feel like whenever I read it, I naturally dramatise my reading due to the connotations that I have selectively chosen for each word. AND I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BE RAISING MY VOICE OR ANY OF THAT SHIT, but at the same time, I feel like it's necessary to really get the vibe of the story, you know? (as distinct from an essay where everything's analytical) I addressed this concern with my teacher afterwards in class lol and she was like "CALM DOWN IT'S JUST A READING, NOT A PERFORMANCE - YOU DON'T NEED TO DO HAND GESTURES" HAHAH. Tbh when I saw my actual writing on the paper for trials, I did not think it was as horrible as they're making it out to be because I remember being super conscious of improving my handwriting in paper 2. Yet, my teacher literally told me, "YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE WRITTEN YOUR ESSAY IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE" LOL. Ah. I'm literally shook that I  even have to do this at all, and tbh I'm a bit more worried about tomorrow than I was for the actual trial itself - it doesn't help that we're getting all of Paper 1 (except for section 1 because we got that back today) and all of Paper 2 back aswell in first period. Obviously I won't be getting my mark back for Mod C and AOS creative until I do the reading, which honestly sucks because they were, by and large, my best sections - although I suppose it's good that I won't have to embarrass myself by reading aloud one of my shittier sections. I'm just worried she won't absorb all of what I say and it'll compromise my mark (which should otherwise be quite good because I spent the most time of these sections), because obviously it's harder to mark when a student is reading their essay to a teacher, relative to having a legible, hard copy of it to refer to - and usually they're double marked too. I'm just praying it all goes down well - worst case scenario will be me not being able to read my own writing, although I doubt this will happen.

We got section 1 of paper 1 back today, and I did so much shittier than I thought. I got a depressing 12/15, and the comment was "Your handwriting has cost you marks". This isn't too bad of a mark, but I know for a fact that I could've done better had my writing not been so trash. I'm just hoping my discovery essay will receive 14 or 15, because I'm really unsure how well my creative will do just by me reading it to the teacher - even though I got 14 for my internal assessment for it ah. Tomorrow when we get all of our marks back for English, I will legit want to die because Mod C was basically my saving grace and it's not even freaking marked yet. I'm estimating about 16/20 for Mod A (barely finished lmao), 18/20 for Mod B (hopefully) and about 14-15/15 for discovery, best case scenario. I really want to maintain 2nd place, but in light of all these happenings, I really do not think it is a plausible reality tbh. I guess it just depends on tomorrow.

FUCKK

OMG I ACTUALL FEEL YOU!!!

In my Paper 1 for the half yearly, my teacher announced in front of the class "oh have you checked your email the other advanced teacher sent you an email". I was like oh no I haven't, and basically in front of the whole class she goes that they couldn't read my writing. I full had to sit with the other advanced teacher while she FILMED ME on her iPhone and I read out my creative. Worst experience of my life.

Improving my handwriting has been a key concern for me this year so I have actually tried so hard to fix it all but I guess my hand just start to deteriorate after writing 15+ pages for some essays. My biggest tip is GET A FINE NIB PEN. I have switched to using pens that have like a 0.4mm or 0.5mm nib and you can actually tell the difference. Just go to Officeworks and test out a bunch of pens, I personally find it very fun lol. They are a bit more expensive than your normal ballpoint but I guess its better than losing marks in an exam.

I haven't been called to read anything yet so fingers crossed it does't happen this time because my school said they would not be doing it for trials!!
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2018, 08:51:59 pm »
OMG I ACTUALL FEEL YOU!!!

In my Paper 1 for the half yearly, my teacher announced in front of the class "oh have you checked your email the other advanced teacher sent you an email". I was like oh no I haven't, and basically in front of the whole class she goes that they couldn't read my writing. I full had to sit with the other advanced teacher while she FILMED ME on her iPhone and I read out my creative. Worst experience of my life.

Improving my handwriting has been a key concern for me this year so I have actually tried so hard to fix it all but I guess my hand just start to deteriorate after writing 15+ pages for some essays. My biggest tip is GET A FINE NIB PEN. I have switched to using pens that have like a 0.4mm or 0.5mm nib and you can actually tell the difference. Just go to Officeworks and test out a bunch of pens, I personally find it very fun lol. They are a bit more expensive than your normal ballpoint but I guess its better than losing marks in an exam.

I haven't been called to read anything yet so fingers crossed it does't happen this time because my school said they would not be doing it for trials!!

OMFG THEY FILMED IT???? AHHH FUCK THAT'S HORRIFYING DUDE HAHAHAH. I'm so worried about tomorrow because this other Advanced teacher fucking scares me (although she was quite nice to me in my interaction with her today) and I do NOT want her visibly judging me while I read my essay and, particularly, my creative because it will throw me off. Her face is, in short, VERY expressive - she never holds back, basically. I'm also notorious for being horrible at pronouncing obscure words LOL so fuck

That's so funny, because I'm very nitpicking about my pens and go on an Officeworks spree about twice a week (and I always get the individual expensive pens at the pen bar, not the packs), but I've found that the 1.0mm makes it neater? I actually used to use the Uni Jetstream 0.7mm before trials, and never had any of such issues, but I can't tell if it's a direct result of this pen switch or just the fact that trials is more time-pressing than regular internal assessments. I'll try writing with some 0.5mm pens though, thanks!! :)

Praying for you girl!

This is my exam writing atm. Idk if it's redeemable for HSC hahahaha
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:54:47 pm by Lumenoria »

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2018, 12:04:32 am »
This is my exam writing atm. Idk if it's redeemable for HSC hahahaha

This makes me feel better about my handwriting thank you oml
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2018, 04:44:25 pm »
+3
Today has been so hectic, but it has been surprisingly a good day.

First period, I had English. I knew we were getting all our trial results back so my heart was beating like a motherfucker on the way to school. I was 20 minutes late to class aswell because of the traffic, which made me even more anxious because I feared someone was able to just voluntarily look at what I had presumed were hideous marks. Anyways, all of this fear was really for nothing. I ended up getting (for the sections that were legible enough for them to mark)

Discovery Essay - 15/15
Mod A - 18/20
Mod B - 18/20

This SIGNIFICANTLY exceeded my expectations, especially considering how distracted I was from studying in light of my cat's accident and other personal circumstances. What was weirder, was the fact that my Mod A essay - the one that I wrote in fucking 27 minutes with no conclusion - had a comment that read "This could've been a 19/20 if I could read more of it". LIKE WHAT ON EARTH - I was legitimately expecting 16/20 for that at best because it was definitely the worst performed module relative to the others. I was so fucking elated when I saw my 15/15 for my discovery essay though, because the first ever draft I sent in to my teacher was horrific (she told me that it was a low C range response at the time) and I remember being demoralised for the rest of the day because of how brutal her feedback was on that draft. It was so bad that I even considered leaving it as it was for trials (as a low C range response) because I truly believed it was a lost cause, but the day before Paper 1, I frantically sent my teacher a new draft after leaving it in the dust for 8 months, so that she could review my significant changes. I wrote it out to literally 8 trial papers in one day lol, thank god for that. So many people in the cohort got single digits, even people who studied really hard for the exam who usually obtain A range marks and my teacher was clearly disappointed with this. She kept referring to me as a "hieroglyphics writer" lol, which broke the tense mood a bit - she legit thought my handwriting was so bad that I wouldn't be able to read it to the other teacher. My Mod C and creative have yet to be marked, as I just verbally deciphered my essay for the other Advanced teacher so that she could mark it. Omg it was so awkward because I kept thinking to myself "wtf" at some of the shit that I wrote lol, but I was able to read it quite fluently, thank god. I really want 19-20/20 for Mod C though because I reckon it was my best section, although I am a tad contentious about this sentiment in light of my readings. I got 14/15 for creative in my first term English assessment, which I have significantly improved since then, so I'm expecting roughly a similar mark but she said that it was erring on 13-14 range? I really hope it's not 13, because that'll be really disappointing tbh.

We got our legal trial back today aswell, which was unexpected. I got 96/100 for the whole paper, which was really shocking in a good way, but at the same time, I was a bit underwhelmed by my world order section. I had received full marks on it for another internal assessment, so it was a bit disappointing to see my mark drop, but I'm not too fussed about it. I also made a really dumb multiple choice mistake aswell, I read "universal and alienable" as universal and inalienable, ugh. It was legit the first question HAHAHA. Omg. And my legal teacher ALSO nagged me about how illegible my handwriting is. In my world order essay, she legit wrote at some part "I'm going to stop here and let you read it for me. Never mind, I tried again" lol. That was literally my only piece of feedback on all my essay sections omfg.

So, for the respective sections, I received -

Multiple Choice - 18/20
Human Rights - 15/15
Crime Essay - 14/15
World Order Essay - 24/25
Family Essay - 25/25

I'm pretty happy with how things are going overall tbh. I think I'm going to get the rest of my English paper back on Thursday - hopefully I can get 92%+ overall for my English trial. I really need to get back to the grind honestly, I told myself I would start yesterday but I'm honestly so unmotivated hahaha. Hope everyone's holding up alright! Xx
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:48:13 pm by Lumenoria »

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »
+2
Today has been a crappy ass day. Got all my trials back, finally.

Economics was first, and it was confronting af. I thought the trial was hard (we did Independent trials), but I still expected over 80% for it because it wasn't crazy difficult y'know? Well, I got 79/100 - so underwhelming. I fucking lost my 1st rank, and I legit cried when I saw it. I was so fucking disappointed in myself, because not only did I study my ass off for this exam, but I have never gotten a mark below 85 this year until now. Worst part is, although my friends were trying to comfort me, I felt like they were lowkey relishing in the fact that they took my rank which just made me feel worse - one of them even went to ask the teacher to reaffirm the fact that she took 1st place, which although she deserves, made me feel like shit. I got 15/20 for both my essays which is absolutely horrific, considering I have ALWAYS gotten in the 17-20 range for my economics extended responses. I legit told my teacher to talk to me another time when he came around to give feedback because I was so emotionally unstable at the thought of my essay marks. I literally have no clue how my mark was so distant from my expectations, because I felt relatively okay coming out of the exam and usually that is reflected in my mark. However, I do somewhat feel like the fact that I lost my laptop over the weekend and only got it back the day before the exam, contributed to this failure because instead of refining my exam technique, I was stuck making notes on the off chance that I didn't end up finding my laptop. There were a few short answer questions that I felt weren't marked properly aswell. For instance, one of them asked me to discern between demand pull and cost push inflation. My answer was "Demand pull inflation is induced when there is an influx of demand for a good/service that is reaching its supply capacity,  whereas cost-push inflation occurs when there is an increase in the input price that is passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices". My teacher circled "supply capacity" with the label "too specific", and circled "input", saying "not always". But I swear to fucking god my answer is correct, because demand pull is, verbatim, "when aggregate demand is outpacing aggregate supply". Isn't that literally the same as my answer?? I also looked at the textbook definition of cost push which says that it is "an increase in prices caused by increase in costs in factors of production" - but factors of production ARE literally inputs to the production of a good/service??? Like wtf, I legit don't understand why he deducted marks for my answer because his comments don't seem to be accurate. Ugh. I can't really contest it either because my teacher hates it when people challenge the integrity of his marking, but I swear to fucking god I should've gotten the full mark. My handwriting was also a notable issue.

Got maths back today and it almost as bad as economics. The highest mark was 81.5% lol - I got 71.5/100 which is legit horrible. But I swear it wasn't even marked properly, because lots of people got the wrong answer and were marked wrong for it? And vice versa. For example, my friend got full marks for a one marker when she wrote 50% as the answer, even though it was 82? The most annoying thing of all, was that I got absolutely NO marks for a question for NOT simplifying the fraction, even though it was theoretically correct like wtf? I got 6/21 and the "answer" was 2/7, but that's legit the same thing?? I'm kinda indifferent to maths though because everyone did shit, which kinda mitigates its impact on my sanity hahaha. I really need to work on maths coming forward though.

Got the rest of my English back (the ones I had to read to the marker because of my handwriting), and it was as I expected. I got 19/20 for Mod C and 14/15 for creative. Since I verbally presented my essay, I got absolutely no feedback on it so idk where I lost the mark. Overall, I got 96/105 for the paper, which is just over 91%. The lesson seemed endless though. Since receiving our trial, we've been going over the sheets of feedback given back to us by the markers and it has been boring af. My teacher made us adapt our creative to different stimuli today, and it was so hard because I couldn't think. I legit felt so mentally exhausted upon seeing my economics mark that I couldn't concentrate whatsoever - even my teacher picked up on this. She even said "Lumenoria you got 19 what the hell are you upset for?" lol it was so embarrassing - I told her it wasn't english. At the end of the lesson, she specifically tried to tell me that "it's not the end of the world" and that I'd work my way back up during HSC, which I thought was nice of her. Still felt like absolute crap though.

We have our HSC major work showcase tomorrow night, which I am absolutely dreading. Three people in my class got chosen for a full screening, including me, whilst others will be shown to the audience in snippets. Although I expended so much effort into my project, I fucking cringe so hard when people watch my video lol. Not keen at all.

Overall my marks for trials were;

English Advanced - 91
Maths - 71.5
Legal - 96
Economics - 79

I've been taking a break for 2 weeks now, which I intended to continue for some time, but after getting my results for trials, I feel like I am not justified in doing so whatsoever. I guess I was bound to bomb an exam at some point (as I had maintained marks over 85 for everything before today), but the fact that thy both were delivered on the same day, was too much for me. In a way, I feel like giving up on the HSC altogether because I feel like I've already ruined everything. I'm not going to let myself, but this just sucks ass. Although I'm very disappointed in economics, I think my final mark will still be roughly 85 as my 79 will be offset by my performance in previous internal assessments, but I reckon my rank has dropped to 3rd or 4th ish. I'm pretty sure I dropped to double digits for maths, although it's hard to tell when the trial average is 50% lol. It's times like these that I wish I had continued doing English Extension, because I know for a fact that it would've been counted in the 10 units since I actually enjoy English. I've legit been crying all day, and it's been great tbh.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:18:43 pm by Lumenoria »

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2018, 08:04:11 pm »
Today has been a crappy ass day. Got all my trials back, finally.

Economics was first, and it was confronting af. I thought the trial was hard (we did Independent trials), but I still expected over 80% for it because it wasn't crazy difficult y'know? Well, I got 79/100 - so underwhelming. I fucking lost my 1st rank, and I legit cried when I saw it. I was so fucking disappointed in myself, because not only did I study my ass off for this exam, but I have never gotten a mark below 85 this year until now. Worst part is, although my friends were trying to comfort me, I felt like they were lowkey relishing in the fact that they took my rank which just made me feel worse - one of them even went to ask the teacher to reaffirm the fact that she took 1st place, which although she deserves, made me feel like shit. I got 15/20 for both my essays which is absolutely horrific, considering I have ALWAYS gotten in the 17-20 range for my economics extended responses. I legit told my teacher to talk to me another time when he came around to give feedback because I was so emotionally unstable at the thought of my essay marks. I literally have no clue how my mark was so distant from my expectations, because I felt relatively okay coming out of the exam and usually that is reflected in my mark. However, I do somewhat feel like the fact that I lost my laptop over the weekend and only got it back the day before the exam, contributed to this failure because instead of refining my exam technique, I was stuck making notes on the off chance that I didn't end up finding my laptop. There were a few short answer questions that I felt weren't marked properly aswell. For instance, one of them asked me to discern between demand pull and cost push inflation. My answer was "Demand pull inflation is induced when there is an influx of demand for a good/service that is reaching its supply capacity,  whereas cost-push inflation occurs when there is an increase in the input price that is passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices". My teacher circled "supply capacity" with the label "too specific", and circled "input", saying "not always". But I swear to fucking god my answer is correct, because demand pull is, verbatim, "when aggregate demand is outpacing aggregate supply". Isn't that literally the same as my answer?? I also looked at the textbook definition of cost push which says that it is "an increase in prices caused by increase in costs in factors of production" - but factors of production ARE literally inputs to the production of a good/service??? Like wtf, I legit don't understand why he deducted marks for my answer because his comments don't seem to be accurate. Ugh. I can't really contest it either because my teacher hates it when people challenge the integrity of his marking, but I swear to fucking god I should've gotten the full mark. My handwriting was also a notable issue.

Got maths back today and it almost as bad as economics. The highest mark was 81.5% lol - I got 71.5/100 which is legit horrible. But I swear it wasn't even marked properly, because lots of people got the wrong answer and were marked wrong for it? And vice versa. For example, my friend got full marks for a one marker when she wrote 50% as the answer, even though it was 82? The most annoying thing of all, was that I got absolutely NO marks for a question for NOT simplifying the fraction, even though it was theoretically correct like wtf? I got 6/21 and the "answer" was 2/7, but that's legit the same thing?? I'm kinda indifferent to maths though because everyone did shit, which kinda mitigates its impact on my sanity hahaha. I really need to work on maths coming forward though.

Got the rest of my English back (the ones I had to read to the marker because of my handwriting), and it was as I expected. I got 19/20 for Mod C and 14/15 for creative. Since I verbally presented my essay, I got absolutely no feedback on it so idk where I lost the mark. Overall, I got 96/105 for the paper, which is just over 91%. The lesson seemed endless though. Since receiving our trial, we've been going over the sheets of feedback given back to us by the markers and it has been boring af. My teacher made us adapt our creative to different stimuli today, and it was so hard because I couldn't think. I legit felt so mentally exhausted upon seeing my economics mark that I couldn't concentrate whatsoever - even my teacher picked up on this. She even said "Lumenoria you got 19 what the hell are you upset for?" lol it was so embarrassing - I told her it wasn't english. At the end of the lesson, she specifically tried to tell me that "it's not the end of the world" and that I'd work my way back up during HSC, which I thought was nice of her. Still felt like absolute crap though.

We have our HSC major work showcase tomorrow night, which I am absolutely dreading. Three people in my class got chosen for a full screening, including me, whilst others will be shown to the audience in snippets. Although I expended so much effort into my project, I fucking cringe so hard when people watch my video lol. Not keen at all.

Overall my marks for trials were;

English Advanced - 91
Maths - 71.5
Legal - 96
Economics - 79

I've been taking a break for 2 weeks now, which I intended to continue for some time, but after getting my results for trials, I feel like I am not justified in doing so whatsoever. I guess I was bound to bomb an exam at some point (as I had maintained marks over 85 for everything before today), but the fact that thy both were delivered on the same day, was too much for me. In a way, I feel like giving up on the HSC altogether because I feel like I've already ruined everything. I'm not going to let myself, but this just sucks ass. Although I'm very disappointed in economics, I think my final mark will still be roughly 85 as my 79 will be offset by my performance in previous internal assessments, but I reckon my rank has dropped to 3rd or 4th ish. I'm pretty sure I dropped to double digits for maths, although it's hard to tell when the trial average is 50% lol. It's times like these that I wish I had continued doing English Extension, because I know for a fact that it would've been counted in the 10 units since I actually enjoy English. I've legit been crying all day, and it's been great tbh.

Congrats on your English results, you actually smashed it!! You should be so proud babe ;D

As for your Economics and Maths results, it may as not be as you hoped and I know you studied soooo hard so it's okay to be a little bit upset. I already can tell that you're actually going to smash it in the HSC (considering it makes up 50% of your HSC) and you'll definitely feel proud of yourself!!

Also huge congrats on your Legal marks omg!!! It's actually so funny because my teacher is giving us different sections back each day (as part of some exercise she wants to do) and it just happens that I currently have the same marks as you for the sections I have gotten back (okay maybe I got 19 in the multiple choice AHAHA). Tomorrow I get both 25 markers back and I am actually going to die LMAO pray for me

Hope you feel better soon, all the love XX