Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:28 am

Author Topic: Finance Case Studies  (Read 3459 times)  Share 

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Finance Case Studies
« on: July 14, 2017, 05:25:43 pm »
+6
Hey everyone,

As you know, case studies are really important in business studies; not just for the extended response but they also really good for understanding all the content and seeing how the work in real life.
I thought we could make some threads and everyone could add in a few of their case studies for the different key business functions - if you would like to contribute that would be awesome!!

If you could tell us what dot point the case study refers to and tell us how the business and the dot point interact.

E.g. Influences of Financial Management - Internal Sources of Finance
Retained profits - ZARA utilises its retained profits to re-invest ($1 billion each year) back into the business each year to fund research and development, expansion, purchase of stock which generated over $3 billion more than the previous year.

Happy Studying!! :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

GraceR99

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Finance Case Studies
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:04:55 pm »
+1
This post is such a good idea. Question - does it matter if I use well-known business for case studies? I.e. it doesn't matter if I might get my facts a little bit wrong, does it?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »
This post is such a good idea. Question - does it matter if I use well-known business for case studies? I.e. it doesn't matter if I might get my facts a little bit wrong, does it?
Yes.

iF you use a well known one, there is a higher chance that they will know you did get your facts a bit wrong.

IF you use a well known one, you better know it right.

GraceR99

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
Yes ok that makes sense. So to save the worry of not getting it right, what would you say about using hypotheticals?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:11:36 pm »
+1
Yes ok that makes sense. So to save the worry of not getting it right, what would you say about using hypotheticals?
Hypotheticals would be okay. YOu just need legitimate sounding business names.

I remember my teacher telling me "Have a list of proper sounding business names that you can use at your disposal".

By proper sounding I mean "AUSWOOL", "JP Architects", "IT Cloud Services Ptd", not names like "Joe bloggs coffee shop" or "Jane's Cafe".
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:15:20 pm by EEEEEEP »

monicahiga

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:10 pm »
+3
      So our teacher went nuts with giving us case studies but a few good points from Apple:

1. Influences
      • GOVERNMENT- Apple is subject to taxes in the US and several other countries. In 2014, the Euro Commission conducted an investigation into Apple's use of Ireland as a tax haven. In 2016, the EC found Apple guilty of receiving illegal tax aid and was ordered to pay back up to 13billion Euro to Ireland.
      INTERNAL SOURCES OF FINANCE- Apple implemented a share repurchase plan in 2015 with intentions to buy back $140billion worth of shares. By downsizing the number of shareholders, the company is able to reduce dividends and increase retained profits.

2. Processes
    • COMPARATIVE RATIO ANALYSIS- the iPhone experienced a 52% increase in sales in 2015, mainly due to entry into the Chinese market. In the same year they achieved a net profit of $13.9b, rising 35% from 2014.
    • RATIOS (EFFICIENCY)- expense ratio rose 1.6% between 2015-2016. This was due to increased spending on R&D and the appreciation of the US currency.

3. Strategies
    • GLOBAL MANAGEMENT- Apple reported that they may enter more forward and option contracts in their 2014 Annual report after forecasts that the USD might rise. By 2016 they'd 2x their use of derivatives.
      - They also take advantage of changes in other currencies, such as raising the price of the iPhone in Russia by 25% in 2014 when their RRuble appreciated.
    • PROFITABILITY- Apple have reduced their variable costs after fluctuations in 2014-16. This was done by sourcing cheaper suppliers, changing outsourcing partners and designing low-cost iPhones.
Sorry for all the words  ;D

GraceR99

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:35:22 am »
Thanks Monica ;D
Very helpful!