Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:00:39 am

Author Topic: HSC Major Works, The HSC- Major Work!  (Read 21997 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: HSC Major Works, The HSC- Major Work!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 08:51:30 pm »
+4
18/03/2018

Hey, everyone!

Busy times ahead with exams in week 9 and 10 for me so this week is going to be a final planning process for the commencement for my BOW, Extension 2 Major Work and finalising PIP interviews!

First off, ARTPEXPRESS LEFT ME SHOOK. I went to see the ARTEXPRESS works in Homebush and at the AGNSW and a part of me is still recovering from how overwhelming it was to realise they were all created people only a year above me. It did one good thing and that was motivate me for my own BOW. I found a BOW which resembles what I wish to achieve in my final pieces and I'm looking forward to doing it! I also have a title that is yet to be pitched to my teacher but I am looking at 'A Promethean Freed'. My idea to allude to Prometheus really captures the essence of my BOW where fire is both a symbol for destruction and creation. I think that encompasses the fire within us as humans, to make a difference and to leave a mark as I am doing with my burnings. I hope this gets approved because I'm quite attached already  ::)

I finished all my planning for Extension 2 English and will commence the poetry in week 11! It's super exciting to think about and I can't wait to have all these exams out of the way so I can focus on working on these. Not sure if I've mentioned this before but I experience the greatest creative outbursts when I come out of a period of stress and hopefully, I stress heaps in a good way I guess  ;D

PIP has also moved steadily! All my surveys have finally been completed. Seeing "50 responses" was the highlight of my day today and I finally was able to close the surveys! I just need to finish off my interviews, conduct my focus group and I will be progressing forth with it. It feels great to have this one on track because the others have been really slow due to my own factors but also my teachers advising me to change things here and there. I look forward to finishing the PIP towards the end of the second term and only refining it as the due date becomes closer  :) :)

That will be all from me today! To anyone who has half yearlies coming up, all the best and thank you for reading my entry for the day  ;D Have a great evening!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 12:10:26 am »
+2
Continually amazes me that you've signed on for four major works (composition definitely counts ;)) - Sounds like you are doing amazingly!! Loving your updates ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 06:09:21 pm »
+5
10/04/2018

Hey, everyone!

Half yearly exams are done and while everyone else is celebrating a break, I'm celebrating a break that I can use to work on my majors! I had some major (pun intended) changes to my works and reflected on my progress for all of them to bring you this entry today  :D :D

MY VISUAL ARTS MATERIALS HAVE FINALLY ARRIVED!  ;D I was the happiest chicken today in the class when I walked in to hear that my box of materials had come. Lots of inks to work with for my abstract drawings, solvent and a blender pen for my text transfers and a funky stack of paper to project weeks of experimentation on as my surface for the BOW. I am incredibly motivated to start and will be heading in during the holidays with my teachers to work on it for full days.

I had a point of conflict with my Extension 2 major work  :'( The planning had been completed, research all ready to go but something was holding me back and it took me until yesterday to realise it- the major work was mine, but I was not my major work. I realised a lot of my aims had been to imitate and replicate the jazz style of the 1920's but it was off because it was not me. It was me writing about the experiences of other people, of another place and another time. I came to think of what made me most happy in writing and it was the ability to share a snippet of me as an artist in my work. I instantly thought of Sylvia Plath and how her works make her biographical events more, how she amplifies them to reconcile with them and come to terms with them. I believe that by personalising my major work more I can not only reconcile with my experiences as a musician, but also as an existentialist. It will become an authentic, healing process that way and I'm excited to see where it takes off.

Finally, I polished up my first chapter for the PIP and only have to finish the referencing before I can move on. I intend to finish my focus group questions this week and arrange for it during the holidays or first week back. I will consolidate the rest of my primary research in the mean time which was officially been completed  :D It will be a tedious process but I am certainly driven to do it.

That's all for this entry today!
Continually amazes me that you've signed on for four major works (composition definitely counts ;)) - Sounds like you are doing amazingly!! Loving your updates ;D
I also commenced planning for my composition in Music 2 which has been quite the fun! I'm looking at swing music and evoking from Sydney's urban scene to create my found sounds. It'll have to wait a but until after my other majors kick off and I am confident in juggling it too. Thanks for reading and have a great evening!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 07:10:03 pm »
+1
Wow! It's intimidating yet motivating to see all of the work you're putting into your majors and how well they're coming along. I'm undertaking two major works this year (Drama theatre reviews and Art BOW) so, to some extent, I understand how you feel. I succumb to the pressure often because I feel like I don't get enough done! I will definitely be working on my majors during the holidays and I'm so nervous! Do you feel semi anxious to start your BOW knowing that it's going to be THE ONE??? Like I feel like I'm not ready to start it yet but I just have to push through ugggg. Anyways, well done so far on all your hard work! Looking forward to read more progress from you.
2018 HSC

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 06:26:07 pm »
+1
Wow! It's intimidating yet motivating to see all of the work you're putting into your majors and how well they're coming along. I'm undertaking two major works this year (Drama theatre reviews and Art BOW) so, to some extent, I understand how you feel. I succumb to the pressure often because I feel like I don't get enough done! I will definitely be working on my majors during the holidays and I'm so nervous! Do you feel semi anxious to start your BOW knowing that it's going to be THE ONE??? Like I feel like I'm not ready to start it yet but I just have to push through ugggg. Anyways, well done so far on all your hard work! Looking forward to read more progress from you.

11/04/2018

Hey, dcesaona! I'm always anxious over everything but at least with these creative outlets, I can channel that anxiety into art! I think that is what appeals to me most about the major works; I feel like I am immortalising some aspect of who I am in them and it's both frightening to think that it's going to be THE ONE, but also super exciting! The feeling of not being ready to start characterised my Extension 2 major work which I did yesterday and it has been so much fun for me  :D

I'd love to hear how your majors are coming along too! Feel free to update me in this thread because I'd definitely be interested  ;D

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:49 pm »
+4
18/05/2018

Hey, everyone!

I hope you all have been having a great start to the new term! It's already proving to be fast-paced and I am excited to see all of my works progressing forward.

I have reached 35/50 of my pieces for VA finished! The BOW has been moving very quickly for me and I have managed to finished more than half of my total BOW in less than two months. I have been staying back until 6pm for a few days during the last three weeks to get to this stage and I'm very satisfied with the result. I have attached a photo of the 30/50 stage which I have refined some of the pieces for but here's just a sample of what it looks like!

My Extension 2 Report was handed in on Monday and I received my notification for the draft Major Work and Reflection Statement the day after  :'( I cannot believe it is due in Week 8 but I'm sure I'll power through more of my poems in the upcoming days.

I have my focus group for the PIP next week before I finish my research once and for all. I polished my first chapter, which only needed secondary research and the other methodologies, and will be continuing my second chapter over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to conducting my last bit of research before crunching down the PIP  ;D

Music has been coming together pretty well too! My musicology essay will be investigating the use of text painting in Schubert's 'The Erlking', one of my favourite art songs of all time, and I have all my research, listening logs and critical evaluations finished  ;D All I have to do is draw up the draft  :D My composition idea is coming together as well! I scrapped the swing music idea and I'm thinking of doing a hybrid of Western musical theatre and Vietnamese Cai Luong theatre music for my topic instead to explore the conflicting identity of a second-generation Vietnamese-Australian, such as myself  :) I have found that personalising my composition has given me a new motivation to work on it. I look forward to working on it!

That's all there is for me today  ;D I can't wait to update next already with more progress updates! Thanks for reading my extensive entry and have a great evening!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:25:55 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 03:26:37 pm »
+1
18/05/2018

You sound so on top of things it isn't funny!! Looks like your BOW is coming along really nicely, good work! ;D

Looooove your idea for the composition for Music!! I think having personal motivation is such a huge help - Either that or having the motivation given to you (I did Film Music for one of mine for Music 1). I'd love to hear some snippets of it as it progresses as well!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 07:08:54 pm »
+3
You sound so on top of things it isn't funny!! Looks like your BOW is coming along really nicely, good work! ;D

Looooove your idea for the composition for Music!! I think having personal motivation is such a huge help - Either that or having the motivation given to you (I did Film Music for one of mine for Music 1). I'd love to hear some snippets of it as it progresses as well!

20/05/2018

Hey, Jamon!

Thank you for the comments  ;D Made my day! I will definitely find some way to share my composition work in this thread once it develops a lot more :D

Today's update is to simply tell you all about the origins and meanings behind the different titles of my Major Works (other than Music which I am still trying to conjure up something funky for).

My PIP is titled 'It's what's on the outside that counts', which plays on the saying 'It's what's on the inside that counts'. This title came out of pure coincidence; I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two girls sitting across me in the food court and when I heard one of them say, "It's what's on the inside that counts!", I knew that it would have made a great title for my PIP, investigating into the acceptance of interracial relationships in Australian society.

The Extension 2 Major Work is heavily informed and shaped by my musical background and looks at the existentialism that exists in being a musician. I titled my suite of poems 'Vivace- Jazz Ignites', capturing the extended fire motif I use in all the poems and the way music allows one to live, and how we live in music. My poetry is sectioned off into three parts; 'The Cinders Suite', 'Symphony Ablaze' and 'Conglomerates of Conflagrations'. They all reflect the three periods of music I have chosen (Baroque, Classical and Romantic) and the musical forms I was inspired from (the Baroque suite, the Classical symphony and assorted Romantic compositions).

Finally, my BOW is titled 'The Promethean Gift' and I have attached the statement for my BOW to this post which explains the meaning behind it  ;D It was probably the most difficult to come up with but has a nice poetic touch to it which I wanted (as well as a Greek mythology allusion- something I knew I wanted already but had to do a bit of research for to come up with the name).

That's all for today's entry! Have a great evening  ;D

Toodles,

Angelina  :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:10:34 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 07:53:05 pm »

Finally, my BOW is titled 'The Promethean Gift' and I have attached the statement for my BOW to this post which explains the meaning behind it  ;D It was probably the most difficult to come up with but has a nice poetic touch to it which I wanted (as well as a Greek mythology allusion- something I knew I wanted already but had to do a bit of research for to come up with the name).

"There is a science in art and an art in science" -this is so beautifully expressed.
I love your artist's statement! Very straight to the point and every sentence is so beautifully written and it's so evocative! I seriously cannot wait to see your BOW Angelina!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 12:19:35 am »
Super fascinating to see where these titles have come from!! The titles and themes of the EX2 pieces make me super excited to read them in final form ;D

Today's update is to simply tell you all about the origins and meanings behind the different titles of my Major Works (other than Music which I am still trying to conjure up something funky for).

Has to be better than the goofy funkiness of my Year 11 composition, "Step Back and Watch Us Swing," a swing band piece  :o especially in comparison to my Year 12 pieces, "Prohibitum Amor" (guitar quartet, latin for Forbidden Love) and "Together" (film score, the final line of dialogue spoken by Harry Potter before he finally defeats Voldemort). The mood change in the titles was so drastic, my teacher was like, "Um, are you alright?" ;)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:52 pm »
+3
21/05/2018

Hey, everyone!

Aiming to be more consistent on this thread with my posting  :D I'll just be replying to Bea and Jamon's responses today to keep it short and sweet  ;D

"There is a science in art and an art in science" -this is so beautifully expressed.
I love your artist's statement! Very straight to the point and every sentence is so beautifully written and it's so evocative! I seriously cannot wait to see your BOW Angelina!

I'm glad you like the statement! I remember showing it to my teacher and my legs were shaking from fear of rejection xD She loved it and was proud that I was able to articulate the concept on paper much better than when I tried to explain it to her in person. I'm looking forward to posting more progress photos on this thread which can be almost like my second VAPD  ;D ;D I'm going to struggle cutting this down for the final submission though but for the progress interview in a few week's time, this will definitely do  ;D

Super fascinating to see where these titles have come from!! The titles and themes of the EX2 pieces make me super excited to read them in final form ;D

Has to be better than the goofy funkiness of my Year 11 composition, "Step Back and Watch Us Swing," a swing band piece  :o especially in comparison to my Year 12 pieces, "Prohibitum Amor" (guitar quartet, latin for Forbidden Love) and "Together" (film score, the final line of dialogue spoken by Harry Potter before he finally defeats Voldemort). The mood change in the titles was so drastic, my teacher was like, "Um, are you alright?" ;)

And I love your Year 11 composition title  ;D Swing music is one of my favourite things to listen to! The HSC ones sound so cool as well  :o I hope I can come up with something as cool as the Latin one  ;D I was thinking of titling my work half Vietnamese and half English just to have that juxtaposition effect but I'll wait for it to come to me  ;)

That'll be all from me today! Things are looking up and I'm dedicating the rest of this evening to my babies  ;D Have a great night, everyone!

Toodles,

Angelina   :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 12:27:46 pm »
+4
26/05/2018

Hey, everyone!

Random entry today for two purposes! Firstly, something short and sweet. I'm going to VIVID Sydney tonight to enjoy myself! I have been waiting for a chance to just take a break and a night of lights and vibrant colours seems fitting for the occasion!

My second point is something I have been reflecting on for quite a bit the last few days as a few of my drafts are being due for the major works. I would firmly like to argue that Society and Culture is the most demanding, of the subjects I have, in terms of major works. I came to realise that with the core, two depth studies PLUS a PIP which constitutes to 5000+ words (which is more than the Extension 2 Critical Response), it is easily the most demanding subject there is. While Music 2 came a close second, with my performance, composition and musicology essay, the content covered in Society is incredibly extensive and having to balance my notes with the PIP has been tough.

I think this opinion is partially due to how less demanding the other ones seem to be in my eyes. The BOW has been something I have consistently been working on and staying back after school has definitely helped me progress far with it. Art theory and history has always interested me (in fact, the reason why I chose VA was because of the 50% theory aspect) and I knew my teachers would help me out with ideas for my prac so I could maximise my marks even though I was less confident with completing a BOW. The content for VA has never been a challenge for me because I already had an interest in and writing about it has never been difficult. It's always been more revision, than studying, for me.

Extension 2 doesn't have any content; the content is what you design it to be in your research. I think that was the most desirable aspect of choosing the subject for me and I have immensely enjoyed researching into my form and concept over the past few weeks. Writing it has not been a challenge either- it's more about managing time and finding room for it amongst everything else.

In saying all of this, the PIP is definitely the most demanding major work of the ones I have. This doesn't mean it is one I would turn people off from choosing. Society is one of the most unique subjects and I have found a new appreciation for my religion after learning about its history in the course, as one of many examples. The content covered and the chance to research into something you have interest in is indeed rewarding and I look forward to seeing where the PIP journey takes me in the next few weeks. I would love to hear what other people think and if any other major works are equally as challenging as the PIP!

That'll be all from me today and I look forward to updating you all next on my update. Have a great weekend!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:18 pm »
+4
03/06/2018

Hey, everyone!

Today marks the final day of calm before the storm  :'( I have an assessment for all my subjects except Music 2 in a span of two weeks so this week will be me frantically trying to get as much done as possible before I have my BOW progress interview on Friday. I'm super nervous, but at the same time, very proud of my progress and I hope that the external marker coming in is friendly  :-\

For BOW, I made 5 panels leading up to last Friday and I have attached an image of them! I have another one finished at home and one more in progress so I hope I can submit 8 completed panels in total for the interview. After discussion with my teachers, we have decided to frame my BOW in wooden boxes which I can then do more chemical fun stuff with to add to my BOW! The frames will also juxtapose nicely with the silver boards I got for mounting the work. It's coming together very nicely and I am excited to see how the work will finally look.

On a more awkward note, I finished my Major Work Reflection Statement for Extension 2 before I finished my actual Major Work  ::) Ironic that I'm reflecting on my Major Work journey before I have even finished it. I have around 700 words more to go before I am finished with the poems so it's just a race until that draft deadline right now  ;D

PIP progress has been slow lately but once the interview is over and my draft is handed in, I will head back to prioritising it. Of the major works, it is due first so while I feel guilty for pushing it aside, I also need to work on it in one big go once everything else has been cleared.

I look forward to jumping back with more updates once the wave of assessments passes! Have a great evening, all!  :D

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:14:07 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 10:17:51 am »
+2
23/06/2018

Hey, everyone!

And the storm is over! It's been a hectic few weeks but I have finally finished all my assessments for this term. I have plenty of updates to share about my progress for the Major Works!

First off, PIP has made more progress! I finally finished the second chapter of my PIP and have three more to go. Although that may sound like a fair way, the first two chapters were definitely the longer ones of my central material so I have knocked out the more difficult chunk of the PIP. Our progress task is next term first week back so it will be hard work to make sure it is completely finished by then!

I also had my BOW interview on the 6th and was over to moon to receive full marks for it! The third marker loved the work, said it was "awesome" and boosted my confidence in the progress I have made. She suggested to "classify" my BOW pieces and naming them like a scientist would to bring out the greater science aspect of my work. I loved the idea and have been looking at Latin words for naming all the pieces. I finish my 10th panel next week and move on to the final piece- a long piece which goes across as a spectrum of all the colours in the other panels. Attached to this entry is a photo of my submitted 8 pieces completed! I look forward to seeing where the BOW goes from here on and will continue to update with photos of it.

After a sustained process of writing and periods of creative blocks, I submitted my darling baby Extension 2 English on Thursday! My draft for 'Vivace' being handed in marks the end of my Extension 2 assessments and from here on, it will only be working towards the final submission for NESA. I was able to finish 'Vivace' on Tuesday and touched up all 3000 words on the Wednesday. Handing it in was the greatest relief and I hope I went well for it!

The next few weeks will be a grander focus on my music assessments for the portfolio submissions for composition and musicology. I need to make more progress for composition which will be intense over the next few weeks and to touch up on my essay for musicology. I have neglected these works for long enough and it is time to go full steam ahead for them.

Thank you for reading today's entry and I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!  ;D ;D

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:22 am »
+2
03/08/2018

Hey, everyone!

It's been over a month since my last post due to the frantic major works frenzy period that has been these last few weeks. I had been scrambling to get whatever is left of my drafts done for the written submissions and am proud to say that I am finished with most of the hard work!

It hit me beginning of this week that the PIP is due on Monday! I knew it was coming up but my goodness, it was a shock to see how fast time has flown. I finished it up already and am now just tidying up it with a last round of editing tonight. It's amazing how quickly time moves when you're busy and I look forward to handing it in. I actually ended up revising my PIP title to 'Colouring in Between the Lines' which makes a nice pun for interracial relationships and the investigation I did on acceptance. It's exciting but also a little sad to see that it is almost time to hand my first baby in for marking. I hope everything goes well with that on Monday.

My BOW has also reached its final stages of completion. I decided to add three more panels to my work which I will take photos of once they're done. It's crazy seeing how much work has been put into them. I think I saw too much of it that I couldn't see the progress anymore  ::) I feel much better about how it is coming along.

I received my Extension 2 Major Work draft back with extensive feedback and have cleared all of it up. I'm in my final stages of editing for that as well and will submit it on the last day of trials (I know ;-; It's very bad timing). I am very proud of 'Vivace' and the hours of creative bursts put into the work.

And finally, I handed in my draft submissions for Music 2 last week! I have revised over a few areas for my essay and added more material to my composition which I will need to finalise soon. The title for my composition is still tentative but my musicology essay's is 'Synergies of Sound', exploring how instrumentation in Romantic art song can realise the narrative. I cannot wait to submit these babies in and to have all my major works finally done.

It's coming to a really bittersweet time for me with these submissions. I have been so attached to all my works and to realise that one of them will be submitted for marking on Monday is almost too hard to believe. I will end today's submission by saying that I am feeling good about these submissions and cannot wait to surprise NESA with my numerous submitted works  ;D Thanks for reading today's entry and have a good day!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-