Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:03 am

Author Topic: Can I get an ATAR of 85?  (Read 4086 times)

MA_2020

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Can I get an ATAR of 85?
« on: September 09, 2020, 01:47:17 pm »
Hello,
I know that ATAR calculators are not extremely reliable and that a true prediction can not be made but I am honestly just hoping to get some reassurance so I can stop stressing about Uni applications. Externals are coming up and I am studying a lot to prepare myself, and I am wondering (if I keep up my current grades) if an ATAR of 85 is out of reach. My grades are good, but the subjects do scale low. I attend a sort of small rural school that doesn't offer a wide range of subjects so my choices were slightly limited last year. I have heard that people can get atar's in the high 90's with humanities subjects so I know that nothing is lost yet.

Currently these are my grades:
English: B
General Mathematics: B
Biology: A+
Business: A
Marine Science: A+
Music: B+

I know that if I got these same grades in subjects like Physics and Maths C, that I could be looking at an ATAR in the 90's; however, I do not know if these subjects could get me into the high 80's. I am hoping to lift some paranoia off my chest so I can just focus on my externals :). Let me know what you think!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Can I get an ATAR of 85?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:26:28 pm »
+2
Hey!

As you've said - we don't really know all too much yet about how things like scaling are going to turn out and it's all about how you go compared to that cohort. That being said, if you score highly on your exams I see no reason why you couldn't score in the high 80s.

Also! I'm planning on eventually doing a postgraduate degree in marine biology (currently majoring in conservation bio & ecology in my science degree) so I love that you're studying marine science! If you have any questions about studying the nature & enviro side of biology at uni please feel free to ask :)