Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:08:36 am

Author Topic: How to study for English comparative?  (Read 2737 times)  Share 

VanessaS

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
How to study for English comparative?
« on: July 16, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
I wanted some tips on how to study for my English comparative SAC. My grades in English have been consistently dropping and I want to know how I can better prepare myself for the next SAC.
Also, how should I structure the comparative essay. Do I mention both texts in each paragraph or do separate paragraphs for both texts and compare them at the end?
Thank you.
Offering Tutoring for Biology, Psychology and Methods in 2020

Monash Biomed Journal

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: How to study for English comparative?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:53:51 pm »
+5
I wanted some tips on how to study for my English comparative SAC. My grades in English have been consistently dropping and I want to know how I can better prepare myself for the next SAC.
Also, how should I structure the comparative essay. Do I mention both texts in each paragraph or do separate paragraphs for both texts and compare them at the end?
Thank you.

Hi Vanessa,

In regards to some general SAC and exam revision advice, I only recently wrote this mini guide on my Tips and Tricks page, which may provide some targeted support.

Structuring the comparative essay is a very personal choice and will differ from student to student. The method I stuck to in year 12, was a 'mixed' approach- somewhere in between a block and integrated approach. And so, my standard body paragraph would follow this structure:

Topic sentence: An argument that encompasses both text A and text B
Next 4-5 sentences: A discussion and analysis of text A only
Transition sentence: This is really a 'comparative statement,' where you bring ideas pertaining to both texts together, and set up a transition in text B
Next 4-5 sentences: A discussion and analysis of text B only
Linking sentence: A usual linking sentence bringing text A and text B back together

I've always favoured this method, as I think it allows for consistent comparison (start, middle and end), yet adequate depth for each respective text. A purely integrated response runs the risk of confusion. But ultimately, the decision is yours  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:56:34 pm »
As Clarke already suggested, writing a comparative essay between two texts is a personal style, and can be decided depending on the kind of analysis and the kind of texts. Usually, I personally love reading (or watching on YouTube) analyses which focus on common themes in two texts. In the instance of a narrative, a comparison between two fictional horror stories could be analysed by using a paragraph each for a theme, such as love, hate, alienation, tension, etc. etc. However, that’s just one method, really anything goes so long as it’s cohesive and has equal use of both texts to draw a conclusion of contrast.

Further clarification of how your grades “consistently drop” would be great, as there may be a common theme between your style that we could help to improve. Read over the past couple of assessments and the rubric/criteria attached. What section do you commonly lose marks on?
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

24lover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »
Hi there!

I hope I can help you with this: What's the best comparative essay structure :)

I go through the different methods of structuring comparative essays as well as pros and cons for each one!

All the best :)
Lisa Tran
10+ years English tutor | I've helped thousands of students achieve their English goals, including many with 40+ study scores.

Founder of Lisa's Study Guides!