Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:34:21 am

Author Topic: Whats the difference between your branches of english  (Read 2080 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Whats the difference between your branches of english
« on: June 12, 2018, 05:05:27 pm »
So I'm just curious, you guys have a bunch of different English subjects. Whats the difference between them?

For the HSC we just have standard and advanced English (and there are two extension courses). So how does each of your types stack up against ours?
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: Whats the difference between your branches of english
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:11:29 pm »
So I'm just curious, you guys have a bunch of different English subjects. Whats the difference between them?

For the HSC we just have standard and advanced English (and there are two extension courses). So how does each of your types stack up against ours?
Just normal English is your Standard.
English as an Additional Language (EAL) is standard for those people who aren't native English speakers.
Literature is somewhere here... ??? maybe... :D
English Language would be your Advanced (I think)

Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:42:32 am »
I’m not entire sure how it translates to HSC, but we have four big branches of English:
English - “normal” English, focuses on all areas including some literature and writing essays
EAL/English as an additional language
Literature - focuses on analysing and understanding how great literary works were constructed and authorial meaning
Language - essentially linguistics in university, where you look at etymologies of words, the history of the English language, how we enunciate words through use of the voice box, tongue and lips, etc.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:05:39 pm »
+4
Our Englishes aren't intentionally set at different difficulty levels, but the scaling tends to be different and colloquially the average literature student would be considered to be "better" than the average English student for instance.

English as an Additional Language is most similar to (our) standard English, and exists so that students with limited English background aren't competing against native English speakers (there are rules about length of time resided in Australia, if English was taught in their home country etc.).
Last year EAL scaled down by 1 point.

(standard) English is the most popular one. Students study texts within their school, write comparative and analytical essays, analyse arguments (eg newspaper articles) and also have a SAC where they give a persuasive speech about a topic of their choice. This is basically the English that is learnt all through high school.
Last year English scaled down by 2 points

Literature is very focused on texts and authorial intent. Literature classes, in year 11 especially, also have a reputation for being relaxed and heavily featuring class discussions. Students analyse texts through varies different lenses (eg historical, psychological, feminist) and imo this is the most "the author said the curtains were blue" -> "the repeating motif of blue reinforced the characters' melancholy" of all the Englishes (hope that description made sense).
Last year Literature scaled up by 1 point
(I studied this in year 11)

English Language should just be called "VCE linguistics". It focuses on how language is used within society, how it changes, how we represent it and how we acquire it. Students write an essay (eg. the role of informal language in contemporary Australian identity), answer short answer questions (eg. identify the modal verb used in line 15 and the function it serves) and write an analytical commentary (here's a text you've never read before, analyse it).  Sometimes people describe EL as the "most scientific" in comparison to English and Lit.
Last year EL scaled up by 3 points

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:07:23 pm »
+2
English Language should just be called "VCE linguistics".

Preach. 🙌

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.