Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:55 pm

Author Topic: 'Seeing: the Whole Picture' First year Breadth subject second semester  (Read 2338 times)  Share 

mrym

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Ive chosen the breadth subject 'Seeing: the Whole picture' for my second sem. but im not sure whether its a good subject or not, wondering if anyone has taken up this subject in the previous years and whether its an interesting subject?

Thanks!!

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
Haven't done it.

Pro's: From the handbook looks like a pretty interesting subject, one of the coordinators for this subject was a lecturer for my vision subject this year and he's really good, knows his stuff. No exam

Cons: Even though there are no exams, it looks like there's not really much of an opportunity to slack off during the semester because of multiple choice tests/ assignments/ group work, may be pretty demanding.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

mrym

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
thanks for the reply! thing is im not sure whether its more focused on the physical aspects of vision or the mental psychology side of it, im not too interested with optics or anything, but i cant seem to find another breadth im interested in doing. Im wondering whether i should take up two breadths in my second year rather than my first?

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
+2
I did it last year. Despite what El2012 said, it is easy to slack off during the semester and still get a great mark. Compared to every other subject I've done, it is hardly demanding at all (workload wise). Assuming you get a good group, the group work is easy and not too time-demanding. Content wise, I found it be fairly boring but then again, I find most university breadths are.

mrym

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
thanks heaps for that information! just another question, it says 3 hours of lectures and seminars, what exactly is the division for them, and are the seminars like tutes?
also you said the content was boring, is it based alot of the physical side of vision? sorry for all the questions!

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
thanks heaps for that information! just another question, it says 3 hours of lectures and seminars, what exactly is the division for them, and are the seminars like tutes?
also you said the content was boring, is it based alot of the physical side of vision? sorry for all the questions!
I don't know about this year, but last year, we had two lectures a week and one tute per week. Every fortnight, the four lectures were separately each on the science, art, and technology-like part of the current topic, and in the last lecture, the lecturers would form like a panel and answer questions about the current topic that had been asked previously (we were asked to make up questions during tutes). I ended up not going to this 4th lecture and wasn't disadvantaged.

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
I am doing this subject this semester, did you find the textbook useful mankay?
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
+1
There isn't a textbook..

mrym

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
I cant seem to be able to find a 'lectures' section on the LMS, are the lectures recorded for this subject?