Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:09:03 pm

Author Topic: 'Inspecting' the paper before reading time  (Read 1472 times)

bundahboy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
'Inspecting' the paper before reading time
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:10:09 pm »
At my school (not sure about others but I'm pretty sure it's the same) the presiding officer gives a brief commentary of what everyone should have in their paper before an exam starts. Something along the lines of "multiple choice sheet at the front, section one starting on page 2, questions 1-3 on page 3," etc.

I assume this is to make sure that everyone has the correct materials before the exam starts. However, most people in my year clearly use the 'checking' of the paper as an opportunity to read the questions themselves. Not just a casual flick through to see that everything's there; I'm talking about reading and noting the questions as they scan the paper.

Is this permitted? Seeing as all this occurs before reading time starts I'm inclined to think not. However, the presiding officer is flicking through the paper himself and encouraging us to make sure that the paper is complete, so maybe it is OK. What are your thoughts?
2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: 'Inspecting' the paper before reading time
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »
+4
At my school (not sure about others but I'm pretty sure it's the same) the presiding officer gives a brief commentary of what everyone should have in their paper before an exam starts. Something along the lines of "multiple choice sheet at the front, section one starting on page 2, questions 1-3 on page 3," etc.

I assume this is to make sure that everyone has the correct materials before the exam starts. However, most people in my year clearly use the 'checking' of the paper as an opportunity to read the questions themselves. Not just a casual flick through to see that everything's there; I'm talking about reading and noting the questions as they scan the paper.

Is this permitted? Seeing as all this occurs before reading time starts I'm inclined to think not. However, the presiding officer is flicking through the paper himself and encouraging us to make sure that the paper is complete, so maybe it is OK. What are your thoughts?

Not really sure about the rules and how they stack up, but honestly this is unlikely to materially change people's grades. It would be a fair stretch to suggest that this could constitute cheating.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 10:39:31 pm »
+4

I'm guilty of doing this! As much as I want to just flick through and make sure my paper is all there, my curious will get the better of me and when I flip over the page with my option's question, I always had a quick read! This isn't to say I would stay on that page though - it wouldn't be wise to not ensure the rest of my paper was there as it should be haha. In reality - it gives an extra, say, 30 seconds of reading time, and it's not quality reading time of course because you've got the exam supervisor talking, and you're supposed to be flicking the pages anyway. I never just got to a question of interest and stopped and stared to begin thinking, but I definitely would skim over my question in the options section and think "fml" for a minute and then mentally prepare myself to begin properly in the reading time. It was never the circumstance where I could have actually gained any advantage, just an eating curiosity that usually made me panic anyway.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:12:28 am »
+1

Welcome to the forums!! Yep, you're totally right, everyone will use it to read their questions a little bit, it is intended to make sure everyone has received the correct paper/materials (luckily they do it, someone in one of my exams received an incomplete paper), but that's a side effect. Realistically, it adds about 60 seconds to your reading time. No huge deal in any way - You should definitely have a brief look at your questions as you go through it - No one would hate you for it :)

bundahboy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:01:31 pm »
Welcome to the forums!! Yep, you're totally right, everyone will use it to read their questions a little bit, it is intended to make sure everyone has received the correct paper/materials (luckily they do it, someone in one of my exams received an incomplete paper), but that's a side effect. Realistically, it adds about 60 seconds to your reading time. No huge deal in any way - You should definitely have a brief look at your questions as you go through it - No one would hate you for it :)

Ah ok thanks! I was just a little doubtful because apparently the english standard kids got yelled at by the invigilators for looking at the paper before reading time started  :-\

Good to clarify that I won't get pinged for malpractice in the hsc for anything like this though   ;D
2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »

Ah ok thanks! I was just a little doubtful because apparently the english standard kids got yelled at by the invigilators for looking at the paper before reading time started  :-\

Good to clarify that I won't get pinged for malpractice in the hsc for anything like this though   ;D

Yeah definitely not! So long as you don't literally sit there planning your responses, sneaking a glance at the gist of your questions AS YOU GO THROUGH is no big deal at all