Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:01:50 am

Author Topic: 2016 Australian Science Olympiad Exam Study Group  (Read 12553 times)  Share 

TheAspiringDoc

2016 Australian Science Olympiad Exam Study Group
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:02:08 am »
So I thought I'd make a study group for the 2016 (and 15) Australian Science Olympiad Exams..
Preferably (we'll see what suits everyone) we'll do it on this thread, and just do things like answering questions, sharing tips, all that kind of stuff.
In case you are wondering what it is, FAQ's, past exams and general information can all be found on this website: https://www.asi.edu.au/site/programs_aso.php
I'm hoping to qualify for the Summer School, which would be an incredible experience :)

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
Re: 2016 Australian Science Olympiad Exam Study Group
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:26:59 pm »
+2
So I thought I'd make a study group for the 2016 (and 15) Australian Science Olympiad Exams..
Preferably (we'll see what suits everyone) we'll do it on this thread, and just do things like answering questions, sharing tips, all that kind of stuff.
In case you are wondering what it is, FAQ's, past exams and general information can all be found on this website: https://www.asi.edu.au/site/programs_aso.php
I'm hoping to qualify for the Summer School, which would be an incredible experience :)

Trying for Chem but I doubt it will happen. Only 3 months to go!
If you want some advice start preparation ASAP!

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:41:14 pm »
+2
My advice: Don't start your prep a few days before the exam like I did...

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:45:29 pm »
+2
My advice: Don't start your prep a few days before the exam like I did...
Even better: Don't walk into the exam without any prep at all (and think you can score some easy marks just from 1&2 knowledge LOL).

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:55:55 pm »
+1

Hey dude, thought this might be of help to you to upgrade your knowledge to Unit 3/4 level:

http://www.vtextbook.com/?p=watch&subject=5

Also, check out http://www.chemguide.co.uk.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »
Hey guys,
just wanted to clarify, are the exams usually sat by / aimed at year ten and eleven students?
Cheers :)
P.S. SO HAPPY AN IS BACK!! :):):):)

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
just wanted to clarify, are the exams usually sat by / aimed at year ten and eleven students?
Cheers :)
P.S. SO HAPPY AN IS BACK!! :):):):)
Well you can sit them from whatever year level to be honest however generally Year 10 and Year 11 is the right age-group to sit the exam (since you'll have some knowledge of what is on the exam) however Year 12's may sit the exam but will not be allowed to enter Summer School if they score well on the exam!

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 05:45:21 pm »
+1
https://www.asi.edu.au/site/olympiads_online.php

May be of interest to those sitting the Olympiad exams.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 06:53:38 pm »
Hey hey :)
So I'm still hoping to participate in the NQE for biology next year (ideally aiming to qualify for the summer school), and am wondering I should go about preparing?

My basic plan so far is to:
-learn and rewrite all of the glossary entries on the olympiads online website
-do all of the question sets and then pursuing further reading on any of the topics mentioned that don't make sense to me
-going through the basic syllabus on the teachers' resources page and make notes.
-do all of the past olympiad exams for bio (do they all adhere to the current syllabus?)

^^does all of this seem sufficient?

From there, I'm a little unclear as to what else I should do... Should I try to learn the VCE units 1-4 course? If yes, how thoroughly, and how?

Thank you!!

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »
So I'm still hoping to participate in the NQE for biology next year (ideally aiming to qualify for the summer school), and am wondering I should go about preparing?

-do all of the question sets and then pursuing further reading on any of the topics mentioned that don't make sense to me
-going through the basic syllabus on the teachers' resources page and make notes.
-do all of the past olympiad exams for bio (do they all adhere to the current syllabus?)

From there, I'm a little unclear as to what else I should do... Should I try to learn the VCE units 1-4 course? If yes, how thoroughly, and how?

Thank you!!

Try and get your hands on a copy of Campbells Biology University textbook, it shouldn't be too hard. Really great resource for the Olympiad stuff but tbh, it has way more information then what you will need. Btw, do you know if year 12s can participate in the NQE? Obviously they can't be accepted for the summer school but can they at least take the exam and try and get a medal?

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:05:38 pm »
Try and get your hands on a copy of Campbells Biology University textbook, it shouldn't be too hard. Really great resource for the Olympiad stuff but tbh, it has way more information then what you will need. Btw, do you know if year 12s can participate in the NQE? Obviously they can't be accepted for the summer school but can they at least take the exam and try and get a medal?
Nah, it's just for year 11s and below. You could always ask for a spare copy of the exam (can't submit it though).

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 08:08:09 pm »
+1
I thought year 12's could  just they can't go to the summer school..?

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 08:14:29 pm »
I thought year 12's could  just they can't go to the summer school..?

yeah I was confused because I have heard of some year 12s taking the test, but I wasn't sure. They can still get a medal right?

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »

Thank you!!
Anyone?  ???

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 07:35:27 pm »
+1
Anyone?  ???

90% of the students who take it don't prepare so you are already miles ahead of them, I looked at the NQE syllabus and I reckon a lot of it overlaps with VCE.
In terms of preparation, I was unable to sit the exam because my teacher screwed up and signed up the wrong student when I applied :(. But what I did was
- I would go through the Olympiad syllabus and read up on the topics in depth using campbells biology textbook.
- I would make notes based of this and also do a bit of further reading with Biowiki or Khan academy or in general, any bio websites I could find
- Then I would regularly read up on scientific news to do with the medical field or the biochemical field just to expose myself to more  advanced stuff
- This took ages but I had covered the course in around - 2-3 months and I would spend from 1-3 hour a week to 10-15 hours in a week!
- I did end up running out of time for practice exams, but I did a few and realized half the stuff i learned wasn't on the exam.
So at this point I realized they are not testing "how much you know" but "how you use what you know", in that case I switched up my strategy to applying the larger concepts in biology and taking a focus away from knowing all the tiny details. This exam is testing application and understanding.
So i recommend
- looking up case studies that demonstrate the concept you are learning
- surrounding yourself in biology in general and getting a feel for how it works
- I never did this but perhaps teaching others what you have learned as this requires a very strong conceptual understanding