Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:07:47 pm

Author Topic: ...lack of work  (Read 1387 times)  Share 

Voltman

...lack of work
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:59:14 am »
Hey guys...I'm a bit worried. At the moment in my Physics unit 1/2 classes we're just told to do questions off our textbook review. However, there aren't that many questions on the back. She doesn't give us extra/other relevant questions with this. How will this affect my school's perfomance next year? Is this normal (the amount of questions to be done)? At the moment Physics seems to be a bludge of a subject...but people keep telling how hard of a subject it is. My Physics teacher also mentioned that normally, students in other schools get about fifty questions a week to do problems on. Though I'm not sure if she's just trying to scare me? I mean...if she knows this why doesn't she give us more work? It's like we're not even given a chance to do well.

Any thoughts on the above? Should I get more textbooks? Is it reasonable to get more textbooks just because of this? How many questions does everybody do?

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Re: ...lack of work
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:44:47 am »
Checkpoints might be a good idea

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 01:49:39 pm »
1/2 doesn't matter that much..
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Voltman

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »
1/2 doesn't matter that much..

Yes, well, I know that but it would be nice if I could be efficient with the relevant bits of 1/2 physics that is in year 12 physics. Particulary, all that stuff on electricity, light and motion.

Voltman

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 02:25:56 pm »
Our current teacher doesn't really teach us anything. She just tells us to read the chapters in class ourselves while she goes on her laptop.

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 04:05:26 pm »
Hey guys...I'm a bit worried. At the moment in my Physics unit 1/2 classes we're just told to do questions off our textbook review. However, there aren't that many questions on the back. She doesn't give us extra/other relevant questions with this. How will this affect my school's perfomance next year? Is this normal (the amount of questions to be done)? At the moment Physics seems to be a bludge of a subject...but people keep telling how hard of a subject it is. My Physics teacher also mentioned that normally, students in other schools get about fifty questions a week to do problems on. Though I'm not sure if she's just trying to scare me? I mean...if she knows this why doesn't she give us more work? It's like we're not even given a chance to do well.

Any thoughts on the above? Should I get more textbooks? Is it reasonable to get more textbooks just because of this? How many questions does everybody do?

Have you heard of checkpoints books!

They are great study tools (I used them) for any science or maths subjects as they just through heaps of problems at you (about 300 in total)! Now the text book I say is a great book for getting accustomed with the material but you need to look at exam style questions if you are going to be able to really reach your potential. In year 12 you may want to consider going to a NEAP program for your subjects as they go over the content again and you do some extensive programs to really go over your potential (I didn't do this, one, because it was too late when I finally heard of them and two, because they are pricey).

I was disappointed with my year 12 because I didn't think that I reached my potential with my subjects.

But with year 12 if you can find a program where you are going beyond what is being taught in class and then reviewing that stuff, you should find that you will get better SAC marks and even obtain study scores greater than what the second highest for your school in that subject was!
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design