Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:23 pm

Author Topic: How to fix sleep schedule?  (Read 1066 times)

forsande

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
How to fix sleep schedule?
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:44:04 am »
So I kinda fucked up and started sleeping at 2am these past days...

On Tuesday, I have to get up at 6am to go to school, and on top of that, right after school at 4pm I have a 7 hour shift until 11pm rip

Any thoughts? Don't wanna collapse during work lol
Cheers everyone

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: How to fix sleep schedule?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:28:44 pm »
+3
Usually I just break it on the day I go back to work.. but in your case I'd probably start now winding it back say half an hour a night until Tues.

Ensure that you also get up at a reasonable time too.

So tonight make it your aim to go to sleep at 1:30, then tomorrow night 1am etc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:30:38 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

forsande

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:12:31 pm »
Usually I just break it on the day I go back to work.. but in your case I'd probably start now winding it back say half an hour a night until Tues.

Ensure that you also get up at a reasonable time too.

So tonight make it your aim to go to sleep at 1:30, then tomorrow night 1am etc.
Cheers mate.
It's quite hard to wind down, idk why but I just can not sleep until 2am.
What time do you think is a reasonable time to get up?

forsande

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:19:11 pm »
+1
I do this a lot too haha. First you should have a rough idea of how much sleep you personally need to function like a human being. The internet spouts anything from 6 to 10 hours, because it doesn't take into account your personal energy intake/outtake; find what works for you. For example, on days that I don't do any sport and can have my mum pick me up, I feel fine even if I only sleep 5 hours the night before. But if I do have sport and a bunch of other stuff after school and also have to walk home myself, I try aim for at least 7 hours, and have coffee in the morning too.

1. The Good Way
This is 'better' in almost every sense, but it's always easier said than done. It's the same thing that every person who already sleeps well will tell you; don't drink coffee/tea in the afternoon, and just go to bed earlier each day and set an alarm, blah blah blah. It does work, but it's super slow, and it's only really effective for people that have super good self control. Also it doesn't work for people who don't wake up at the same time every day (e.g. if you have to wake up earlier for sport and band thrice a week, etc.), or people who often procrastinate until it's really late. If you can adjust your sleep schedule this way though, go ahead (I envy you).
As I said, it's really slow, so it's probably best to start now. Maybe get sleep supplements too?

But if, like a lot of other people, you can't do that, there's also:
2. The Less-Good (But Still Not The Worst) Way
Exhaust yourself, literally. Don't have coffee, and be as active as you can; tire yourself out as much as possible.
Another way to do this is just to pull an all-nighter - if you felt like going to bed at 2am, don't. And just hold out for the next 16 hours or so. Do whatever you need to do to stay awake until a reasonable sleeping time (figure out what time works for you). E.g. Have coffee (in the morning), shower (in the morning), and go out or meet friends so you can't fall asleep on a couch or something.
Basically the goal behind both of these ideas is that by the time you need to sleep, you'll be so tired that you can just flop straight into bed and slumber your life away. But REMEMBER TO SET ALARMS. MULTIPLE ALARMS. As soon as you're awake don't even reach for the alarm first, turn your bedside light on, or pull aside the curtain (it's scientifically shown that light keeps you awake).
Then when you're awake do your best to transition to The Good Way of sleeping.

Another tip, do sport in the morning! It seems counter intuitive to keeping yourself awake by saving energy, but it makes your mind more alert. Maybe not for Tuesday, but definitely some other time. Man, it sucks that you have so much to do on your first day back. gl

Ooo thank you so much for writing a blog for me haha

Maybe get sleep supplements too?
I'm extremely against taking any medications that would mess me up if that makes sense? I took them when I was younger and yes, although I did sleep better, I just didn't have the energy to wake up, and I was extremely sluggish during schooltime.

Will keep doing sports in the morning in mind, I'm extremely lazy so perhaps this can be productive.

Man, it sucks that you have so much to do on your first day back. gl
I know, so sad :(

Again, cheers for your work <3