Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:04:19 am

Author Topic: Talic's Year 12 Diary  (Read 3180 times)

talic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
Talic's Year 12 Diary
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:06:23 pm »
+15
8/02/2020

What up, everyone reading this?

I'm Talic, and this is my first post here ever and I just stumbled onto this page fifteen minutes ago and was like 'damn, I should do one of these and maybe someone will relate to my journey or something' so here I am.

A little bit about me - I am in Year Twelve this year and am hoping to graduate by the end of 2020 ahaha and I honestly really like reading people's diary's/VCE journeys so I decided to make one myself. It will mostly entail the life of an average seventeen-year-old girl - however, of course, I will keep it VCE based because I'm posting it here.

The subjects I'm doing are Literature, Psychology, Further Maths, Global Politics and Chinese Second Language (as someone who doesn't learn/speak Chinese out of the classroom so I'm pretty terrible at it ahah).

Last year in YR11, I did History Revolutions (America and Russia for anyone wondering). Bit of a sob story, but I worked really hard, got A+s for all my SACs, did an hour a night for the month leading up to the exam, then proceeded to freak out in reading time and bomb the exam. I ended up with a B+ for the exam and a 37 study score, which although honestly isn't that bad, me, my friends, and my teacher's were all thinking I could get a 40, especially as all my practice exams were getting 85-90%s.

Overall, I'm pretty bummed and salty about my score, but it was a well-needed learning experience for stress, and disappointment, knowledge on the ways I study and all that other stuff. It wasn't a fairy-tale ending, especially when I found out my friends who didn't study the whole year/left half the exam blank got the same or higher study scores than me (I know I'm being a jealous salty person, but I can't help it). Revs was fun but I want to kinda just leave it, and my disappointment all behind and start this year without it dragging me down.

So that was my Year Eleven life ahah, but now onto Year Twelve! I just had my first full week back to school and although I personally really enjoy school/learning whatever it has KICKED MY ASS ISTG. I am absolutely drained for basically no reason - I've averaged seven hours of sleep per night (not great but still), haven't gotten too much homework, and there's nothing traumatic going on in my life that should be ruining my mood.

Favourite subject right now: Maybe Global? IDK it's just different to anything I've ever done before.
Least favourite subject right now: Literature (I've basically hated English-esc subjects since Year Nine idk why)
Something I'm excited for this week: Seeing all my friends again haha
Any SAC's or tests this week: NIL
Homework: Writing a script for my first Chinese SAC (resolving personal issue oral), analysing some of Sylvia Plath's 'Ariel' poems, and some math and psychology questions.

I don't really have much else to say, but if you have any questions comment or message me. I also don't really know what I'm doing so if you have any tips for me running this thing please share.

I'm aiming to update this maybe once a week, most likely on the weekends. See you soon!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:50:55 pm by talic »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Talic's year 12 diary
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 06:15:41 pm »
+2
Hey!
Welcome to AN ;D
What are your plans for after high school?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 06:23:27 pm »
+4
Hey!
Welcome to AN ;D
What are your plans for after high school?

Thank you for the question! Currently, I'm not sure what I would like to after high school - maybe something in IT/Psychology? I'll just have to figure it out further into my journey ahah.
Hope you're having a good day :)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 06:24:33 pm »
+1
Chinese and Global Politics are really cool subjects. How are you finding Chinese so far?
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 06:34:01 pm »
+3
Chinese and Global Politics are really cool subjects. How are you finding Chinese so far?

I'm happy I'm able to do them! Chinese is okay - unfortunately, my school had to mix the Year 11 1/2 students and the Year 12, 3/4 students, together into one class because there are not enough people. Also since there's only four of us, we have to get cross-marked by another school or something (idk I think five students for a subject is the cut off for being a recognised school in VCE so we have to be graded with another school that has three people or something.)

This obviously isn't a great situation to start off in for my final year, but personally, even though I'm not very good at it, I really do enjoy learning Chinese a lot. Because I actually have somewhat of a passion for it, I don't think it's going to be a huge burden throughout the year, although the oral component of the exam is already starting to stress me out haha.

Thank you for your question :)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 07:07:02 pm »
+3
Hey talic! Nice to meet you!  ;D

Which poems from Ariel are you analysing? We're doing Ariel as well currently and the poem Tulips is probably my favourite!  :)

Do you do any extracirriculars?

Looking forward to following your Year 12 Journey!

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
+3
Hi Talic welcome to AN! ;D

I just stumbled onto this page fifteen minutes ago and was like 'damn, I should do one of these and maybe someone will relate to my journey or something'
This is such an amazing valid reason to make a journal🤣. The journey journals are super addictive to read and once you start you can't stop.
What type of things do you like to do in your spare time? Your subjects are super mixed and I love the combination of Chinese in it too!

I'm so looking forward to what you are going to post in your Journey Journal! It is going to be one awesome journey by the sounds of it ;D

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 08:27:07 pm »
+4
Hey welcome to ATAR notes!
That was my mindset when I came across this thread, they are very addictive and inspiring to read. You have a very versatile range of subjects which is really cool, can I ask why you chose them?
Looking forward to reading more throughout the year, good luck with the second week!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 09:20:52 pm »
+3
Hey talic! Nice to meet you!  ;D

Which poems from Ariel are you analysing? We're doing Ariel as well currently and the poem Tulips is probably my favourite!  :)

Do you do any extracirriculars?

Looking forward to following your Year 12 Journey!

Nice to meet you too! There's a really large and interactive community on here, it's amazing!

We're doing many from poems, but my school decided not to do any SACs on Ariel, but rather spend two weeks on in first in case anyone wants to write on it for the exam. The other texts we're studying is 'North and South' (Gaskell), 'Only the Animals' (Dovey), 'Twelfth Night' (Shakespeare) and Emily Dickenson's Collection of Poems. What are you analysing?

I don't really do many extra-circulars, but I'll probably do Volleyball when it's in season. I like to draw and write creatively outside of school^^

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Hi Talic welcome to AN! ;D
This is such an amazing valid reason to make a journal🤣. The journey journals are super addictive to read and once you start you can't stop.
What type of things do you like to do in your spare time? Your subjects are super mixed and I love the combination of Chinese in it too!

I'm so looking forward to what you are going to post in your Journey Journal! It is going to be one awesome journey by the sounds of it ;D

I like to write creatively/listen to music/draw a little bit in my spare time. I also waste waaaaay to much time on YouTube haha. Thank you so much for your comment! I hope to see you back here soon :)))

Hey welcome to ATAR notes!
That was my mindset when I came across this thread, they are very addictive and inspiring to read. You have a very versatile range of subjects which is really cool, can I ask why you chose them?
Looking forward to reading more throughout the year, good luck with the second week!

Thank you for commenting!! I've read a few journals, and so far they are really motivating me to study and they are very relatable. I chose my subjects for a few different reasons - Literature was an obvious one for my mandatory English subject, Psychology and Global seemed really interesting to me so I picked them, I wanted to keep a math subject for VCE so there's Further, and finally, I believe learning a language is really important and interesting so I wanted to do Chinese (my Dad also really wanted me to haha)

Hopefully, my second week goes better than the first one, and I hope you also have a great week! :)

Mod edit: I've merged some of your posts together. If you're replying to people in a row please do that in one post rather than in successive posts in future. You're not in trouble or anything - just a heads up for the future :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:32:34 am by Bri MT »

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 09:36:59 pm »
+2
Hi Talic!! Welcome to the world of VCE journals  ;D You have a great range of subjects, good luck for the year! I'm excited to keep following your journal :)

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 09:48:23 pm »
+1
Hi Talic!! Welcome to the world of VCE journals  ;D You have a great range of subjects, good luck for the year! I'm excited to keep following your journal :)

Hey! Thank you for your kind words - I hope to see you soon!

talic

• Adventurer
Re: Talic's Year 12 Diary
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 10:47:39 am »
+1
Hello :) I saw your subjects and just had to reply - because I did almost the exact same set! I would've done Revolutions had my school offered it, it seems so interesting. (And I'm also a shameful psych and further drop out haha). Have you thought of what you might do for your Chinese DS?

Hey! That's so crazy we did such similar subjects! I haven't put much thought into my Detailed Study yet - the study design just changed so instead of just doing any issue in China, we have to 'bring in' a cultural object and talk about it. I've written up my General Conversation though! Thanks for commenting :)))

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 01:31:00 pm »
+1
Nice to meet you too! There's a really large and interactive community on here, it's amazing!

We're doing many from poems, but my school decided not to do any SACs on Ariel, but rather spend two weeks on in first in case anyone wants to write on it for the exam. The other texts we're studying is 'North and South' (Gaskell), 'Only the Animals' (Dovey), 'Twelfth Night' (Shakespeare) and Emily Dickenson's Collection of Poems. What are you analysing?

I don't really do many extra-circulars, but I'll probably do Volleyball when it's in season. I like to draw and write creatively outside of school^^

What do you like to do in your spare time?
Cool, we're also doing 'Only the Animals'! I really liked some of the stories in there, particularly the elephant one. We're also doing 'Othello', 'Carpenteria' and 'A Room of One's own'.
That's so cool! I've been meaning to do some creative writing as well because I really enjoy it and it's really calming.
My main form of entertainment is watching tv shows and movies!  ;D I love a good tv show on Netflix!

talic

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 10:21:15 pm »
+5
17/02/20

Hey everyone! Me posting this a day late is the exact representation of my life right now! Also, this one might be a little short because currently, I'm pretty exhausted ahaha.

Let's get into the subjects and what I did in the week:
Further Maths - pretty chill currently. The work isn't too difficult and it's good to take a break from my other content-heavy/writing style subjects. We're learning about Finance and Annuities rn, so that's alright.
Literature - my LEAST favourite subject right now! We're doing Plath's Ariel poems and I find them so difficult to understand and analyse blehrblg. Just handed in an essay on that today though, so I'm hoping I do pretty well! (It's not assessed or anything, I just worked harder on it than I usually would haha.)
Chinese SL- BRO WTF IS GOING ON IDEK. We have our first SAC next week on our oral about a personal issue and the topics we get on the day are either underage drinking or excessive use of social media. It's a bit of a RIP, but hopefully, I'll pull through and learn my scripts!!
Psychology - Currently this is a bit of an 'I-don't-need-to-work-that-hard' subject because a lot of the content is really similar to the 1/2. However, this is also the subject I'm aiming for a 40+ in so I've been taking some extra time to type up my notes after we cover it in class. My teacher is really good for this subject, so I'm happy :)
Global - Once again, global is my favourite subject right now! It's just so different to anything I've done before (mainly because I repressed all 1/2 I did in Year 10 because I hated it... but now I like it??) I just spent 30 mins writing out my Global notes on the International Criminal Court, and it wasn't too tedious.

Favourite subject right now: Global
Least favourite subject right now: Literature
Something I'm excited for this week: IDEK.... I lowkey caused some drama at school today so oops.
Any SAC's or tests this week: Nope, but soon! (impending doom is slowly creeping up on me.)
Homework: Just math exercises, writing up my notes and reading stuff. I had to read a convoluted 30 page essay on the three waves of feminism for Literature today and it took me a whole hour to get the general gist of it rip.

How is everyone else doing? Sorry if these journals are boring to read - I'm still trying to find the way I want to do these and make them interesting. If you're doing VCE, how are you finding it? What is your favourite subject?

I'll be trying to update these on Sundays, so I'll see you for another update soon! :))

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »
+4
Hey Talic!

So good to see that you are going amazing in all of your subjects! (Even better that there are no SACs around the corner ;D)

How is everyone else doing? Sorry if these journals are boring to read - I'm still trying to find the way I want to do these and make them interesting. If you're doing VCE, how are you finding it? What is your favourite subject?

First of all, there is absolutely no way that this journal would be boring :P. It's always good to see different perspectives of everyone's lives, so it will always be interesting in some way!
Currently finding VCE much easier than last year. (I don't really know why but it's working). Fav subject right now would probably be Methods as it is the most chill, followed by PDT :D

Thanks for updating Talic and can't wait for the next update! Do you have any events in the future you are looking forward too?

Ummm woohoo it's my 200th post?