Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:59:23 pm

Author Topic: If you could go back and choose your HSC subjects again...  (Read 3317 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
If you could go back and choose your HSC subjects again...
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:25:46 am »
+4
Thought that we needed a HSC version of this thread

My HSC subjects were Standard English, Mathematics, Visual Arts, Ancient History and Society & Culture
- Advanced English because it has more resources and I reckon the texts would've been more interesting than the texts in Standard
- Modern History instead of SAC because it has more resources. Don't get me wrong, SAC is interesting but it confuses me at times.
- If Photography wasn't a non-atar course, I would've continued it in Year 12
- I wonder what would've happened if I continued Ext 1. Maths in Year 12
- I could've done Legal Studies as a back up unit instead of relying on my 10 units
- Wished I did History Ext. but my school didn't allow me for the weirdest reason
- Maybe I would've done Chemistry instead of Ancient History just because there's a lot more resources and the ~vibe~ at my school's chem class is better than my Ancient class who do nothing but complain all the time. It would've been interesting if I did a science course.
- Instead of SAC, I could've done Filipino Continuers seeing that I could speak the language but cannot write to save my life

Wowowowow I didn't realise how many subject changes I wanted until now ;D ;D
What subjects would you choose instead and why?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: If you could go back and choose your HSC subjects again...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:35:56 am »
+5
Took:
4u Maths
3u Maths
2u Maths (accellerated)
Physics (Dropped out year 12)
Legal Studies
SoR 1
IPT
Advanced English

I wish I chose:

Ext 2 & Ext 1 Maths
Ext 1 English and did Globalisation. Friends do it and it seems genuinely interesting.
Economics because I've been quite interested in Economics ever since. I only chose legal because I liked the teacher better
Chemistry because looking at my friends doing it, I think I would of enjoyed it. I definitely would have been able to do it but I chose IPT over it because I knew I would do better. Was a hard debate in year 10. I had it as 2nd preference.
Physics. Would of kept it and tried harder. As one wanting to do Engineering in Uni I regret not taking physics.. not much else needs to be said lol
Heavy Things :(

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »
+4
biggest HSC regret is doing economics rather than society and culture  :(
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:32:20 pm »
+3
i did english standard, mathematics, modern history, legal studies and business studies.

- one of my biggest regrets is not pushing to do advanced - at my school, the level of english you did in year 11 was based on ranks in year 10, so maybe if i convinced the teachers i could've done it? the texts are so much more interesting and maybe i would've hated english less.
- as much as i hate maths, i don't think i could've done something else hahaha
- ANCIENT HISTORY INSTEAD OF BUSINESS. oh my goodness gracious i considered swapping at the beginning of year 11 but didn't because i just bought a textbook - so many regrets.
- maybe i should've kept sor? idk i hated the subject but i did well in it so it could've made up for marks in maths, but oh well

that's it i guess
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 12:35:23 pm »
+5
Kept biology because my school ended up with no band 6's and I'm still salty about that.

Other than that, maybe repeated MX1?

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
+3
I would change all my subjects, as I'd prefer to learn more than to do better (assuming I'd retain my knowledge)

I'd do the other science subjects like senior science and agriculture, I'd bet they would be fun! :))

If I were to not to remember, I'd keep what I did, they were all enjoyable :)
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:16 pm »
+3
My subjects: Advanced English, General Maths, Music 1, Hospitality, Ancient, History Extension, Legal

- I would have picked Modern (such a big regret, still so annoyed at myself-actually got it but didn't want to do too much history).
- Music 2 instead of music 1 (my school doesn't actually offer music 2, and although I think I would have found some parts difficult it is a assumed knowledge for some of the courses I want to do)
- SOR (my school doesn't offer this as well but we do 3 periods of Christian bible stuff a fortnight and had assessments which was annoying because it wasn't a HSC subject. Also would be cool to learn about other people's religions).

- I probably wouldn't have done legal (was actually my 2nd last option, least motivated to study for it, I enjoyed it but didn't really like my teacher and the way we were taught towards the end of the course. Also rushed the whole last option.)
- I don't think I would have done Hospitality either (love the subject and the teacher, learnt heaps of skills but majority of the class did not care about their marks and I don't think I went as well as I wanted to in the HSC (the exam's actually worth 100%, no internal marks/ranks at all).
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:09 am »
+3
Subjects going into year 12 (aka. Prelims)
Advanced English, 2U mathematics, biology, geography, drama, industrial technology multimedia

Final HSC subjects
Advanced English, general maths, biology, geography, drama

I think by the end of it all I wouldn't have changed a thing. However - Maybe I would have had a better time doing 12 units if I'd done dance or art.

Assuming I picked ITM anyway despite the above, I definatley should have dropped it at the start of term 4 rather than early June 2017. If I had ditched it sooner my grades could have started improving earlier and the first 3/4 of year 12 would have been slightly less stressful.

Overall though I don't have any regrets in terms of my final examined subjects.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:57:54 am »
+3
I'm completely fine with the subjects I chose and honestly can't think of a subject I'd do differently. As well as the fact that I enjoyed most of the content, it was great to see that all my subjects had some links to each other. SOR2;Peace with Legal Studies;World Order, Modern History;Germany with English;Metro/1984, Legal Studies; Human Rights with Business Studies; Human Resources, the list goes on really. If anything, I wish I could change my motivation towards most of my subjects. English Advanced was by far my most hated subject, followed by Modern and Business. That's not to say that I wish I didn't pick them, I just wish I put more effort there
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 12:23:47 pm »
+3
I did:

Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English
Legal Studies
PDHPE
Society and Culture
General 2 Maths
Business Studies (dropped after Prelim was completed)

and I am lucky to say that I have no regrets at all, I honestly loved every subject I did. Sometimes I wish I tried out Mathematics, but I don't even need maths for my uni course so doing general to get the basics and being able to focus on everything else a little bit more was worth it in my opinion, seeing as though I did a total of 12 units. I would have loved to have done a language maybe, if I had a passion for it from junior years but my year 8 german teacher made me not really like it as much, though continuing that or even beginning again would have been cool.

But as I said, on the whole I am pretty grateful that I enjoyed all my subjects. I am a picky person so literally no other subjects even interested me one bit ;D
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)