Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:11:33 am

Author Topic: Would you go back in time to being 12 years old again if you could?  (Read 1081 times)  Share 

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
+7
I was talking to my mate about this today and it led to a pretty big debate on the topic:

If you had the opportunity to go back in time to your 12th birthday and start life again from that age, would you do it? Why? What would you do differently knowing what you know now?

What about if you went back but you couldn't keep any memory from the life you've lived from age 12 through to the present, would you still do it? Why or why not?

I think I would definitely go back in either scenario, going back knowing what I know now I would definitely have spent my time more productively but also enjoyed things in the moment much more than I did, and I would spend more time with people who I can't spend time with now that I let slip by at the time. However I would probably go crazy having to do all that studying all over again, lol... I wonder if I could bring back the past VCAA exams from the year I was in year 12 with me. BOY that is an idea. Even without keeping my memories from my life up until now, I would still do it because I know I enjoyed high school and repeating it would be fun.   

My friends who I talked about this with said they wouldn't go back - they didn't enjoy high school, would go crazy doing it all over again, and they had spent their life up until this point looking forward to their early 20's, and they don't wanna have to go back in time and wait for it all over again, which I think is fair enough.

What do you guys think?

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Would you go back in time to being 12 years old again if you could?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:48:34 pm »
+4
Noooooooooo. I wouldn't want to spend another day living with my parents -- especially when I'm too small to defend myself.

If anyone does go back, could you please mine some bitcoins for me? ty
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »
+4
If anyone does go back, could you please mine some bitcoins for me? ty
I distinctly remember a conversation I had near my locker with my mate in year 11 when we decided to mine dogecoin because "bitcoins are done and way too expensive now"
 boy do I feel silly :(

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:02:32 pm »
+1
If you had the opportunity to go back in time to your 12th birthday and start life again from that age, would you do it? Why? What would you do differently knowing what you know now?
I wouldn't go back in time at all. 

Life is unpredictable.  If you pick path A, you'll have problems and obstacles associated with path A and if you pick path B, you'll have obstacles associated with path B =)

There are literally hundreds of variables that could change the outcome of your life so yeah :P. That's why I wouldn't go back in time if I could (in a nutshell).
Hypothetically... I wouldn't go back to when I was 12 as it wasn't a very great childhood.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:07:03 pm »
+2
Oh that's hard. If we didn't keep our memory definitly not - I just don't see the point, 12 until now was not particularly fun. (Maybe we all have and just don't know it *gasp*)

It's hard to say, with keeping memory. A year ago I would have said yes without giving it a second thought. I kinda like life at the moment, though I wish I had got to this point when i was younger. The only thing really that's stopping is that it would feel like I was manipulating everyone around me - having said that there is so many things that I regret. Also I'm not sure I could stand another 6 years around my mum, knowing what I know now. I'm counting down the days as it is. Maybe if I could go back to when I was born (not even joking). So many things had to fall in exactly the right place to get me where I am now. But at the same time I can't help but wish some of them had happened earlier (like me moving schools...) but then the (main) reason I moved was because I met a teacher from my new school, and if I'd moved earlier I wouldn't have.

I dunno I feel like I just rambled a whole lot and I don't have an answer. I probably wouldn't because knowing the future would make me feel like I'm manipulating everyone around me and I hate it when people manipulate me so I wouldn't want to do it to them.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
+1
Life is unpredictable.  If you pick path A, you'll have problems and obstacles associated with path A and if you pick path B, you'll have obstacles associated with path B =)

There are literally hundreds of variables that could change the outcome of your life so yeah :P. That's why I wouldn't go back in time if I could (in a nutshell).

This is one thing that I would be hesitant about. Knowing what you know now would change the way you do everything. You might say the wrong thing to the wrong person and not end up meeting ur best friends 2 years later, or you might be thinking about something that happened when you were 18 while you are 12 and get hit by a car crossing the road LOL but I definitely think that knowing what to avoid would outweigh the risk of missing out on something good that happened by pure luck

Maybe if I could go back to when I was born (not even joking). So many things had to fall in exactly the right place to get me where I am now. But at the same time I can't help but wish some of them had happened earlier (like me moving schools...) but then the (main) reason I moved was because I met a teacher from my new school, and if I'd moved earlier I wouldn't have.

I think thats a fair reason not do it. Going too far back would be detrimental to letting things that had to happen in the exact right place, happen, but going all the way back to being a baby would allow you to control things from the outset. I think for me to go back to something like 16 (from 21) would be the best, when all of the 'right place at the right time' things had already fallen into place. I basically spent ages 16 through to now playing league of legends and studying, and making the wrong big life changing decisions.