Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:22 am

Author Topic: Gratitude thread  (Read 11715 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Gratitude thread
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:29 pm »
+8
So grateful for living in this era.  I've been educated, I'm literate, and I have more access to books and ideas than anyone in history.  Have so many people's wisdom and encouragement at my fingertips - such a gift.

(Currently enjoying Daring Greatly, Rising Strong and Braving the Wilderness, by Brene Brown.  So good.  Also How to Walk and How to Love by Thich Nhat Hanh.)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
(Currently enjoying Daring Greatly, Rising Strong and Braving the Wilderness, by Brene Brown.  So good.  Also How to Walk and How to Love by Thich Nhat Hanh.)
Are the books worth reading?
I'm hesitant to read Brene's books due to her studies' participants being exclusive to females, so I struggle to see if any application can be applied to males as well and her stance in general on males regarding these topics like vulnerability.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »
+3
Are the books worth reading?
I'm hesitant to read Brene's books due to her studies' participants being exclusive to females, so I struggle to see if any application can be applied to males as well and her stance in general on males regarding these topics like vulnerability.

They were originally exclusively female, as she thought females would struggle more with shame than males.  When she found out it wasn't so, she changed this, and has interviewed hundreds of males.  Her writing is very applicable to both; she directly talks about males and vulnerability from research data. :D

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 03:31:04 pm »
They were originally exclusively female, as she thought females would struggle more with shame than males.  When she found out it wasn't so, she changed this, and has interviewed hundreds of males.  Her writing is very applicable to both; she directly talks about males and vulnerability from research data. :D
Ahh okay thanks, i'll add it to my to read list.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »
+7
I'm really grateful that I have my youngest sister- she's very pure hearted and she's most happy when she's got a book, or when she's with myself and the family- she makes sure that I'm happy and I love that she is so thoughtful and kind. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 04:06:02 pm »
+6
I'm very grateful to the bird that just shit 2cm in front of me instead of on my work uniform.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 04:12:29 pm »
+6
I'm very grateful to one of the most outstanding University tutors I've ever had - she's really inspired me in so many ways, and I'm thoroughly enjoying writing this essay for her subject because I know she'll appreciate the effort and the angle.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »
I'm grateful for the Medea help needed threads. I can actually contribute you in some manner to future Year 12s :).

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2017, 05:46:36 pm »
+8
Friends.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 10:51:00 am »
+5
Friends.

But seriously, how good are friends?

Sometimes, when I'm stressed, chilling with people I know and appreciate really makes time slow down a little. I love that.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »
+11
Grateful that my family and those close to me finally accept that mental health is a real, serious issue and CAN affect an individual. It seems like a cultural thing (middle-east/Asia) but having my family slowly but surely accept such a huge stigmatised issue makes me so grateful.

I don't think people from a very cultured background acknowledge it enough and it brings me so much joy people around me do. ^__^
Uni and life

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »
+8
I'm grateful for this thread -- almost each and every post put a smile on my face

Especially grateful for my grandparents, who always have a cheerful greeting over the phone or a smile for me when I see them even if things are kinda low. Also for their stories, resilience and humour

Grateful that my acquaintance/friend (?) taught me a valuable lesson, even if it means I never want to see them again

Also very grateful for my mum. She's always bloody right

edit: Can't believe I forgot my dog!! Grateful that the little fluff ball comes barrelling into my room first thing every morning, for her soothing presence, listening ears, enthusiastic greetings and the simple joy she brings to my family (she's very loyal haha)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:50:54 pm by tashhhaaa »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 07:42:58 pm »
+3
The Avett Brothers, and friends who appreciate The Avett Brothers.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2017, 03:48:57 pm »
+8
Super grateful for my friend (who i should call P for the sake of her privacy). I saw two of my other friends today after their final hsc exam (they were in my friend group in high school). They kept telling me how fun it would be to join them to get drunk which isn't my scene at ALL. Had to explain to them why I don't want to get drunk and they seemed a bit disappointed. This put me in a really bad mood today because I thought my friends would understand why I hated getting drunk and made me a bit sad that the only time they wanted to hang out with me is when they were intoxicated. I texted my friend P today and asked if she wanted to make plans. She seemed really keen and was super excited. Strange thing is P was never in my friend group in high school. We've been friends since Year 11. I feel more comfortable talking to her about my problems than any of my friends in my friend group that I've known since Year 8.

Thanks P for always being there and being a great friend, even though we've been friends for a short time. It's true what they say about quality is better than quantity. Makes me realise that I deserve to have better friends. Thanks P for wanting to hang out with me post-hsc. This really warms up my heart.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »
+9
Libraries!

In the last two years the library has been my safe space, the only place I don't have terrible memories of, the first healthy daily activity that drew me out of bed after my breakdown, the place where I made a snap decision to pull a yoga book off the shelf and give it a go again.

Generally in a library, I have no particular aim, I just breathe deeply and pick up cool-looking books and flick through them at leisure and watch ducks out the window and breathe some more and feel at home. And going to a new library is probably my favourite treat.

And like... wait, I have thousands and thousands of books on any topic available to me for FREE, as a basic right of living here?  How do I deserve such a gift?  Historically and in 3rd world countries, people have had very little way to learn things themselves or read widely, and I just have it all?!

So grateful.