Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:48 pm

Author Topic: Free VCE Biology Units 3&4 Practice Exam & Solutions - ATAR Notes  (Read 19223 times)  Share 

ATAR Notes Official

• Administrator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +207
+9

Attached to this post is a totally original, totally new, and totally up-to-date FREE practice exam for VCE Biology Units 3&4.

You will need to be logged in to your ATAR Notes account to see and download the attachment (at the bottom of this post). If you do not currently have an ATAR Notes account, you can create one for free by following this link.

ABOUT THE FREE PRACTICE EXAM:

⭐ We had such a high demand for practice exams at our free lectures recently, and we didn't want anybody to miss out. These exams are brand new as of today.
Solutions have also been included in a separate attachment.
⭐ The exam was carefully created by TuteSmart tutors as a gift from us, to you.
⭐ The exam is relevant for the VCE Biology Units 3&4 study design for 2017-2021.

MORE BIOLOGY HELP:

⭐ Ask any Biology questions you have in our online Biology community.
⭐ Check out our Biology study + revision videos.
⭐ Best prepare for SACs and the exam with Complete Course Notes and Topic Tests.
⭐ Study from anywhere - get unlimited access to the best VCE study guides online with EdUnlimited.
⭐ Considering VCE Biology tutoring? Check out Biology at TuteSmart: smarter VCE tutoring.

We really hope you enjoy this free Biology practice exam and solutions. Remember: if you have any questions, feel free to let us know - you are always welcome in the ATAR Notes community, and we would love to help! 💙

Download exam and solutions 👇👇👇
(Can't see the attachments? You will need to login or register.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:34:43 am by ATAR Notes Official »
PMs on this account are not monitored. Please contact us here.

username_!

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Free VCE Biology Units 3&4 Practice Exam & Solutions - ATAR Notes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 05:18:08 pm »
+3
Question 3a asks what kind of signalling molecule is insulin, but in the answers, they are talking about phospholipids?
Also in question 3c answers state that insulin is hydrophobic and therefore binds to a cell membrane receptor (i think this is a typo because the notes for that question talk about hydrophilic substances being unable to cross the phospholipid bilayer)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:00:46 pm by username_! »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:46:48 pm »
+5
Question 3a asks what kind of signalling molecule is insulin, but in the answers, they are talking about phospholipids?
Also in question 3c answers state that insulin is hydrophobic and therefore binds to a cell membrane receptor (i think this is a typo because the notes for that question talk about hydrophilic substances being unable to cross the phospholipid bilayer)

Yep. Looks like there has been some sort of error in compiling the answers - the solution for 3a seems to be answering "What are the components of a phospholipid?". Here's an idea of what an answer for 3a could look like:
Spoiler
Insulin is a (protein) hormone / Insulin is an endocrine signalling molecule

As a reference for anyone using this exam:
-> the provided solution for 11c would suggest that the suspect is innocent
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:29:26 pm by Bri MT »

ATAR Notes Official

• Administrator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +207
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:37:29 am »
+2

Good catch! We've cleaned these up in an updated version of the exam and solutions, which we've re-attached to the first post.

Thanks so much for letting us know - sorry about any confusion! :)
PMs on this account are not monitored. Please contact us here.

bioman123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 12:55:30 pm »
Q11c answers are wrong I believe.
If there is blood on a knife in which is the murder weapon, the DNA on the blood would match with the victim's DNA. Hence, if we took the answers suggested as the DNA from the blood on the knife is that of the victim, then this would agree that the victim in INNOCENT rather than guilty as he said he cut himself.
Q11d. answers are also wrong. Says there has been a deletion when there are 18 nucleotides in the mutated and normal has 17? Um ok how?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 02:01:25 pm »
+1
Q11c answers are wrong I believe.
If there is blood on a knife in which is the murder weapon, the DNA on the blood would match with the victim's DNA. Hence, if we took the answers suggested as the DNA from the blood on the knife is that of the victim, then this would agree that the victim in INNOCENT rather than guilty as he said he cut himself.
Q11d. answers are also wrong. Says there has been a deletion when there are 18 nucleotides in the mutated and normal has 17? Um ok how?

11c. I think we all agree that the victim is innocent. I'm assuming you meant that the suspect being innocent? The suspect claimed that the blood of the knife is theirs - thus the DNA matching the suspect indicates that the suspect is innocent. If the DNA matched the victim this would suggest that the suspect killed the victim.

11d. The answer itself (frameshift mutation) is correct however you are right that the explanation provided should be deletion/insertion or insertion rather than deletion.

Kingzone

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:17:26 pm »
Some complications with MCQ

Q14- Stem of the question mentions that penicillin is a non-competitive inhibitor, but the answer says penicillin is a competitive inhibitor
Q32- Reword the answer (change from gene flow to prevention of gene flow). Personally I got confused and thought that the presence of gene flow does not contribute to allopatric speciation, which means D could arguably be correct.

bioman123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 03:19:21 pm »
Yes, that is what I meant. But the answers show that the DNA matches the DNA to the suspect, yet the question asks you to show what the gel electrophoresis would look like if the suspect was found guilty

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 03:35:00 pm »
+2
Yes, that is what I meant. But the answers show that the DNA matches the DNA to the suspect, yet the question asks you to show what the gel electrophoresis would look like if the suspect was found guilty

Sorry, since you only posted today I didn't realise you were working off the old version of the exam. Yes, it suggests the suspect is innocent. That's been fixed in the exam now.

Some complications with MCQ

Q14- Stem of the question mentions that penicillin is a non-competitive inhibitor, but the answer says penicillin is a competitive inhibitor
Q32- Reword the answer (change from gene flow to prevention of gene flow). Personally I got confused and thought that the presence of gene flow does not contribute to allopatric speciation, which means D could arguably be correct.

Q14. Yep, typo in the question. Ultimately, however, it doesn't change what the answer would be since we aren't considering a situation in which we are varying the concentration of substrate relative to inhibitor.

Q32. I understand why this might confuse you, however imo having 'gene flow' rather than 'barrier to gene flow' is fine as an answer since VCAA does also sometimes have ambiguously worded questions and expect you to pick the best answer . Selective breeding does not factor into allopatric speciation whereas gene flow is an incredibly important factor - it would be expected that students are aware of this. 

claire_the_bear03

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »
May I ask, for question 19 of the multiple choice, why is the answer that the vaccination provides herd immunity and not answer A? Especially as they seem to be saying more or less the same thing. Thanks!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:06:02 pm »
+2
May I ask, for question 19 of the multiple choice, why is the answer that the vaccination provides herd immunity and not answer A? Especially as they seem to be saying more or less the same thing. Thanks!

When I read option A I interpret it as saying that their chance of passing on the flu is reduced, not that it would be reduced based on the tense used.

Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:07:51 pm by Bri MT »

xenx

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 03:03:05 pm »
For question 3d the description for reception and response is quite general, should we be describing it based on the image given, similar to how description given for transduction is?

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 02:19:30 pm »
For question 1b), is it okay to say that glucose is polar and hydrophilic and therefore cannot pass through the mainly hydrophobic phospholipid bilayer? I didn't mention that it's too large.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 02:24:18 pm »
+3
For question 1b), is it okay to say that glucose is polar and hydrophilic and therefore cannot pass through the mainly hydrophobic phospholipid bilayer? I didn't mention that it's too large.
I don't think so (although I could understand some people giving the mark)- the way I see it is that being polar is not enough of a distinction for whether a molecule can cross the lipid membrane. That is because small polar molecules have that ability to cross the membrane.

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 02:04:51 pm »
Ok, thank you :)