Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:39 am

Author Topic: whys' VCE journal  (Read 79693 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: whys' VCE journal
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2020, 09:27:10 am »
+6
Well done on your UCAT progress, whys. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brothanathan

« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2020, 10:41:00 am »
+4
Anyways, I realised this update very intensely radiates negative energy. So, I'm just going to remind myself that I can do this. Think of the positive things, whys! Bio over here is your best buddy. If you're feeling bored, go read some psych articles about the newest experimentations on Alzheimer's or something. Maths is a soothing remedy - not evil and sinister like english, but fun and light-hearted. Chem is... not very good but it certainly is miles better than english.

I think I'm going to go watch my favourite movie (oh wow, I bet you can't guess what that is!) and do some methods to cheer myself up.

That's 700+ situational judgement right there. Congrats Whys :D

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2020, 07:50:10 pm »
+14
Hmmm... no clue. Real tough one there.  ;)

ps. I reckon that's a great thing to do when you're feeling a bit burnout. Hope you're feeling great this morning! ;D
Yeah, knew it was going to be hard to guess. ;) Thanks for the reply laura! Hope you've been well too, it's been a while since I've seen you around!

Well done on your UCAT progress, whys. :)
Thank you Joseph41. :)

That's 700+ situational judgement right there. Congrats Whys :D
If only I got 700+ in the real thing... oh well. ;D Thank you brothanathan!

whys, you JUST updated your journal! Another update already?

I know. And I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself. I've also refined/redefined some of my subject expectations and a few other VCE tings in general. I promise this one will be a real short read compared to the long UCAT one! (if there's still anyone reading at this point, heh). Oh, and I've started giving my updates little titles. I can definitely say this journal has evolved so much from when I first started it.

Running beside the Lord of the North on evergreen paths
Sarah J. Maas fans will understand this reference

I'm so determined to do well. I've kinda realised that if I don't pull it together now, then I'll be struggling come exam time. I really want to start studying more intensely, like 2-3 hours per day. I feel like my puny 1-2 hours a day just won't cut it anymore, since I end up cramming for ~4 hours the day before a sac and we all know how well that usually turns out! I find it really hard to study for a long time after school, because, well, YouTube and Netflix and Disney+ and video games and you get the gist... So I've decided that as soon as I enter my study, I'm not going to do anything but study. I'll study for at least an hour before having a break, then come back to study some more until the end of the day. Right now, my schedule looks more like come home ---> have a shower ---> eat ---> procrastinate, maybe study a little ---> eat dinner ---> study ---> sleep. Hopefully, it'll start to look like come home ---> have a shower ---> eat ---> study ---> eat dinner ---> study ---> sleep. I feel like I'll get so much more done this way. Kinda sucks that I'm only making these changes when I should have made them ages ago, but oh well, it is what it is.

Okay, so as I mentioned earlier, these are my new expectations:
English - 44
Biology - 47
Methods - 45
Chemistry - 40

Woah, did you just jump to a 44 in English? Yes, yes I did. It's because I feel really motivated to do well. I actually really enjoy Photograph 51 and The Penelopiad - there's so much to discuss about them and so much to analyse! Each writer's every word feels infinitely precious and loaded with meaning I have yet to explore. What really prompted this change was probably something I heard yesterday though. A 2019 graduate from my school said she got a 45 in English having absolutely bombed a sac (60%). I could literally feel a kernel of hope bloom within me. She said that in the end, nothing is stopping you from smashing that exam and bumping up your score. As she was someone who (ostensibly!) wasn't that strong in the subject but still went on to achieve a phenomenal ATAR, I was in awe. Hopefully, I'll be able to do something quite similar and still get a decent score in the subject... (I can dream, right? At least let me hold on to this motivation however temporary it may be ;D).

Biology went down. I don't know why, it just feels more accurate at around a 47. I really hope I can get a 47+ for bio. I'm really enjoying the content right now - genetic engineering is so cool. 8) I'm very mad because all the previous bio cohorts got to go on a really cool excursion where they got to see PCR and got to do gel electrophoresis themselves (plus some other stuff). Not to mention they also got bubble tea after (my friends who did bio last year find endless fun in teasing me about what I've missed). Obviously, we couldn't go on the excursion because of the COVID situation, so we had an 'online incursion' and the scientists from the place were nice enough to record themselves doing PCR and gel electrophoresis, but it still isn't the same as doing it yourself. :'( We had a live call talking about the content which was just reinforcing what we already learnt in the classroom and providing real-life examples. All in all, bio is fun. I like. I like very much.

Methodsssssssss my buddyyyyyy. Or not my buddy. It felt like all the odds were NOT in my favour during the methods sac. You know, 80 marks in 2 hours isn't as easy as it seems (especially because so many 1-mark questions are 'show that' questions so you have to spend so much time working it out by hand to actually get the mark). I finished with 20 minutes to spare and spent 15 of those minutes staring at a stupidly easy 1-mark question that I skipped. When my one remaining brain cell decided to bump against my skull like the bouncing Windows screen saver, my brain went ping! and I realised what I had to do. Started writing. A growing smile on my face. A smile that instantly vanished when I heard 'time's up'. Looking at my paper, that extremely simple question left unfinished as my pencil falls out of my hand. A disgusting, horrible feeling. It wasn't even a hard question. It was so easy. My brain just wasn't working... Anyways, I'm hoping I can somehow get 90%. Hey, you might think. I thought you wanted a 45, but only 90%? Yeah nah, no way I'm getting any higher when the sac was harder than the VCAA exams. Last year the highest was 96%, so I will jump with joy if I get 90%. If not, that's okay, I have other sacs. Well, one unit 4 sac split into tech-free and tech-able.

Chem. Haha. Hahahahaha. Alright, so we got our Equilibrium/ROR sac back a gazillion years after doing the sac. We don't get our marks because the chem teachers like to torture us. Well, it's actually because they want us to focus on their feedback before getting caught up with the marks, because people tend to be like 'ok whateva I got like 90% yeee boiz I'm done' and never look at the sac again. I'm really confused. Looking at all the corrections I got, I thought I got around 22/28 (a horrible result, considering multiple people decided it would be a great idea to get 100% so no one's sac could scale up). But, I got a really good report for term 2 which indicated that I got at least 24/28. Anyways, I'll see if I actually decide to ask for my mark. Which as of now, I'm not brave enough to do.

Woah, so quite a short update, huh? I really didn't mean for this to get as long as it did, I wanted it to be short and sweet. It just feels like every time I sit down to type this out, there's stuff I need to say that I wasn't originally going to say. Oops, I'm sorry. I don't even know if my journal is interesting to read anymore, because it's just boring subject stuff.... hopefully things get spicy near exam time.

I'll see you guys in another update, and hopefully, I'm still prancing with the almighty snow-white Stag amongst viridescent foilage.

Adios! <3
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:49:48 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2020, 08:38:54 pm »
+10

Woah, did you just jump to a 44 in English? Yes, yes I did. It's because I feel really motivated to do well.

This happened to me the other day also!!! Despite doing just above average on SACs I’m still gonna aim for the 45 in English and hope it happens! That girl sounds like an anomaly, but if she can do it then why can’t you? :)and maybe me but ehhh
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2020, 10:16:40 am »
+7
I'm super proud of everything you've achieved whys! I can't wait to see what this term brings you!

And you make me so motivated for english ah ha.

Keep at it!!  ;D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2020, 11:50:52 am »
+7
There's certainly no need to apologise for journal updates, people likereading these. It's not like you're forcing anyone to read or interact with it, people do it because they want to and connect with your experiences :)

Congrats on everything you've achieved so far (yes smashing the 95+ UCAT goal expectations but also the growth you've had and how you keep on pushing on).

I don't have heaps to say but I wanted to join in the chorus of people celebrating with you and it's been great to see you pass a major milestone from back in your first post!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2020, 03:40:30 pm »
+5
This happened to me the other day also!!! Despite doing just above average on SACs I’m still gonna aim for the 45 in English and hope it happens! That girl sounds like an anomaly, but if she can do it then why can’t you? :)and maybe me but ehhh
You go girl! Good on you for not being dragged down by a sac score, it's really hard not to feel disappointed over sacs. Exactly my reasoning, I mean someone has to get 40+, so why can't it be us?

I'm super proud of everything you've achieved whys! I can't wait to see what this term brings you!

And you make me so motivated for english ah ha.

Keep at it!!  ;D
Thanks Arty! It means a lot. :) You can do this, go on and conquer English!

There's certainly no need to apologise for journal updates, people likereading these. It's not like you're forcing anyone to read or interact with it, people do it because they want to and connect with your experiences :)

Congrats on everything you've achieved so far (yes smashing the 95+ UCAT goal expectations but also the growth you've had and how you keep on pushing on).

I don't have heaps to say but I wanted to join in the chorus of people celebrating with you and it's been great to see you pass a major milestone from back in your first post!
Yes, that's true, I just felt a bit guilty that people would have to read through a whole heap of fluff for some updates. You're right, if people want to read, then they will (and I'll forever be glad!). Thank you for the encouraging words, that's one goal down, and many more to go, haha!
psych [50] bio [50]

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2020, 06:21:28 pm »
+7
Hey hey whys😊 (I'm so late to this journal update oh no)

First of all, I LOVE these gifs! (Ahhhh they are all so so cute!!)

Running beside the Lord of the North on evergreen paths
Sarah J. Maas fans will understand this reference
I understand this 😉

Ok moving on to the actual journal update, I absolutely LOVE reading your updates so there is no such thing as updating too much! It's never too late to change any habits at all (haha I'm so addicted to youtube too. I should learn from you). The new expectations for your subjects look super good and I believe that you are definitely going to make it! (Even for English. Your determination is super inspiring I don't know where you are getting it from but it's working!!🤣).

Thank you so much for the update whys (and for adding the adorable pics in) and I'm looking forward to a future update soon!❤️

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2020, 08:13:32 pm »
+5
Keep aiming high whys, you got this, I believe in you 💪🏻💪🏻
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2020, 03:01:20 pm »
+5
Hey Whys! Sorry its been so long, I swear the more I read this the more we are the same!

I don't get the reference but Sarah J Maas' series "Throne of Glass" is one I am yet too read, I read the first book and then realized there is more now I am collecting the series and will read it all.

Im the same atm, after quarantine my study habits have dropped so much, I have no motivation and the fact that I am half way through reading TVD does NOT help!

I SWARE THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER STUDIED IN SCHOOL TO THIS MOMENT is the Penelopiad! Best book I think I have ever read Margret Atwoods style in that whole novel was just MUAH! ive even bought her novel "The Testaments."

I missed that Bio excursion too :( Super cut about that I was so excited to go to that with school. Always sad when a bubble tea change is missed :(

Hope you are doing well :) - Lex -xx-

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2020, 06:44:10 pm »
+14
I understand this 😉
I bet you do. 8)

Ok moving on to the actual journal update, I absolutely LOVE reading your updates so there is no such thing as updating too much! It's never too late to change any habits at all (haha I'm so addicted to youtube too. I should learn from you). The new expectations for your subjects look super good and I believe that you are definitely going to make it! (Even for English. Your determination is super inspiring I don't know where you are getting it from but it's working!!🤣).
Thank you so much - that means a lot!!! (You really shouldn't learn from me, I spend more time on youtube than I spend studying. I also don't know where I'm getting my determination from.) Thanks for the motivating words!

Keep aiming high whys, you got this, I believe in you 💪🏻💪🏻
Thanks angrybiscuit, and the same to you!

I don't get the reference but Sarah J Maas' series "Throne of Glass" is one I am yet too read, I read the first book and then realized there is more now I am collecting the series and will read it all.
Hi Lex! Omg yes, you absolutely have to read the whole thing, it's honestly the best! My favourite book series ever.

I SWARE THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER STUDIED IN SCHOOL TO THIS MOMENT is the Penelopiad! Best book I think I have ever read Margret Atwoods style in that whole novel was just MUAH! ive even bought her novel "The Testaments."
I missed that Bio excursion too :( Super cut about that I was so excited to go to that with school. Always sad when a bubble tea change is missed :(
Hope you are doing well :) - Lex -xx-
The Penelopiad is one of my favourite novellas (well, probably my favourite, because I don't even read novellas, I usually read novels haha). I've been rereading Photo 51 and I find that I enjoy it just as much as The Penelopiad - I cried at the end of the play (it was such a poignant end and I'm quite sensitive when it comes to book/movie/tv show characters, and Rosalind Franklin was a real person too). Oh no... that sucks! We can share our grief. :(
I hope you're well too and the rest of the year goes well for you!

Keeping myself accountable
I don't know if it's just me, but I've been feeling extremely tired lately... waking up is such a drag! Apart from the fatigue, I don't know why but I've been feeling a massive surge of motivation. Usually, this is the time people begin to lose motivation and slack off, but I feel so ready to conquer the rest of the year! (well, that's how I feel, don't know if it will happen!) I went to see my chem teacher after school since I had some questions I was unsure about and was expecting to leave in like 5-10 minutes, but we ended up going through everything for like an hour! I was very grateful, and I don't know why, but it made me feel really motivated to do well in chem. I know I really suck at the subject but I want to try and push for a 40 (unlikely, I know ::) but I can dream, right?). I know I'll need to put effort into this subject and start studying for it, but better late than never, right?

A list of things I want to get done before the holidays
- Finish the entire course for all of my subjects
- Have finished at least 1 practice exam for each subject except English
- Have finished 2 unit 3 exams for every subject except English
- Write an hour timed essay for test response and comparative
- Write at least 3 practice AA essays, timed
- Collated a list of my options interstate + backup options
- Start interview prep

This is a whole lot for me. Writing things down makes the goal more tangible + more reachable. I know myself well and I really don't expect to get everything done - I'll be glad if I can complete at least half of the list! My goal to study for 2-3 hours a day also hasn't worked so far. I always end up wasting time and procrastinating, then studying at like night. By that point, I tell myself there's no point in studying anymore since it's almost time to go to sleep, so I end up getting nothing done. It doesn't help that I always feel guilty when I'm not studying but I can't help not studying. It's like I'm stuck in this endless cycle of being unable to study, and it sucks. I feel motivated but I can never actually do it. It feels like everyone around me is studying like crazy while I just fluke all my assessments. And I want to get into medicine and be a doctor. It's really quite a funny joke.

I just want this to be a mini-update to get down a list of everything I need to do to keep myself accountable, and I'm glad it's stayed that way - no extremely long rants or unnecessary rambling this time. 🤠😌

I hope you all stay happy, healthy and safe! Remember to be supportive of each other in these times, and remember to give your friends a (virtual!) hug!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:55:05 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2020, 07:46:08 pm »
+5
Hey whys!

I totally get your struggle with motivation. Its so hard to focus on homework after a long day at school especially when all you want to do is relax. Have you maybe considered changing your sleep schedule? Ive read that the best time to study is 4-6am. Not saying to get up that early but maybe go to bed earlier and wake up earlier, get some homework done in the morning and then just have the evenings for games? Or even if you are allowed stay back at school some days until a solid amount is done? So your in an environment thats more studious and motivating then at home in comfort?

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2020, 05:27:07 pm »
+6
Hello whys!!  ;D
Can I just say, I absolutely LOVE reading your journal! It's so inspiring to see you achieve your goals and it's motivating me to achieve mine, and achieve even higher ones, especially since we're both aiming for the same course! You're soo close so keep at it!!

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been feeling extremely tired lately... waking up is such a drag!
Yeah, I've been feeling the same way, unfortunately. As a result, I'm waking up later and later everyday when I should be studying.  :( Yeah, gotta fix that, fast.

I know I really suck at the subject but I want to try and push for a 40 (unlikely, I know ::) but I can dream, right?).
With the hard work you're putting in, I'm sure you can achieve that!

By that point, I tell myself there's no point in studying anymore since it's almost time to go to sleep, so I end up getting nothing done. It doesn't help that I always feel guilty when I'm not studying but I can't help not studying. It's like I'm stuck in this endless cycle of being unable to study, and it sucks. I feel motivated but I can never actually do it. It feels like everyone around me is studying like crazy while I just fluke all my assessments. And I want to get into medicine and be a doctor. It's really quite a funny joke.
Omg, I experience the exact same thing! I tell myself I'm going to study so much and get so much stuff done but I end up procrastinating on Youtube at my study table, watching useless videos because I don't want to study. And at school, I see so many kids in the library, even younger than me, studying diligently during recess and lunch, while I'm the complete opposite. Hopefully we get out of this slump soon!

I love your cute gifs and hope you stay safe as well!! Have a great weekend!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2020, 10:49:00 pm »
+5
Hey whys!

I totally get your struggle with motivation. Its so hard to focus on homework after a long day at school especially when all you want to do is relax. Have you maybe considered changing your sleep schedule? Ive read that the best time to study is 4-6am. Not saying to get up that early but maybe go to bed earlier and wake up earlier, get some homework done in the morning and then just have the evenings for games? Or even if you are allowed stay back at school some days until a solid amount is done? So your in an environment thats more studious and motivating then at home in comfort?
I knowww. I should change my sleep schedule, you're right. :( I just... well... youtube... it's right there... I've actually tried waking up early to study but it doesn't work for me at all haha. But yeah, I should definitely get my sleep schedule together so I'm more productive during the day (thanks for the reminder). And no, not allowed to stay back at school since schools are shutting down now heh. Thanks for the suggestions! <3
Take care during these uncertain times!

Can I just say, I absolutely LOVE reading your journal! It's so inspiring to see you achieve your goals and it's motivating me to achieve mine, and achieve even higher ones, especially since we're both aiming for the same course! You're soo close so keep at it!!
Yeah, I've been feeling the same way, unfortunately. As a result, I'm waking up later and later everyday when I should be studying.  :( Yeah, gotta fix that, fast.
With the hard work you're putting in, I'm sure you can achieve that!
Omg, I experience the exact same thing! I tell myself I'm going to study so much and get so much stuff done but I end up procrastinating on Youtube at my study table, watching useless videos because I don't want to study. And at school, I see so many kids in the library, even younger than me, studying diligently during recess and lunch, while I'm the complete opposite. Hopefully we get out of this slump soon!

I love your cute gifs and hope you stay safe as well!! Have a great weekend!
This comment made me so happy! It makes me happy that people enjoy reading this. Yeah same, I used to see all the year 9s and 10s studying in the library and I'd feel bad for not studying myself. Honestly, the younger year levels try so much harder and make me feel like I do nothing in comparison lol.

*not an update*
just getting my thoughts out
It's cold outside, but I'm warm and toasty under the covers, my hands shakily typing out the letters and numbers, waiting and waiting as it loads and loads... somehow, there's still a bit of hope in me. It crackles and burns, and whispers of the wind blur the boundary between reality and illusion. A little flame. The bright red of new beginnings, of passion, of hope. I wait. Even the little flame seems to pause, running back to the depths of its origin. Waiting. I hold my breath as the clock ticks and my heart thuds against its cage. I close my eyes and dive under the covers. My fingers reach out to grip the edge, peeking out from the darkness underneath. It stares at me, like the weight of stone on my shoulders. Crushes me. I cannot stare back. It's not a dream, not a dream, not a dream, it's real, it's real, it's real. The little flame laughs at me, dancing inside. Bursting into embers of black and red and orange and yellow. Filling me, wrapping around my heart, running alongside the blood in my veins, scraping against bone. Its laughter is in my head, there's red everywhere and I can't see. Throat too dry to cry out, to breathe, arms flailing and fingers pulling at skin. Suddenly, it's gone. Vanishes. Escapes. No fire, no laughter, and no more waiting. All that's left is a number, and that bitter, bitter feeling of disappointment.

And it replays in my head, again, again, again.
psych [50] bio [50]

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2020, 12:09:37 am »
+4
Wow! I love reading your VCE journal :) I have briefly read it and tbh it's very inspiring, especially the goals you've written down :D
And about the fatigue, I can relate 100% - I feel so tired all the time, but I really want to get work done!! Hope you accomplish your tasks and maybe try breaking them up into little chunks, that could help?