Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:49:26 am

Author Topic: MATH APPS OR MATH METHODS FOR 99 ATAR  (Read 6901 times)  Share 

lu21

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
MATH APPS OR MATH METHODS FOR 99 ATAR
« on: May 22, 2021, 11:12:18 pm »
Hey,

Could somebody tell me if I should pick Math Methods or Math Apps for a 99 ATAR? I can easily achieve a 95 average in Math Applications but in Math Methods In Unit 1 i am achieving a 54% average?  :'(

- Should I drop Methods for Apps if hopes for a 99 Atar?
- Does the units get easier in year 12 or semester 2 year 11?
- Has anyone achieved a 99 atar with math apps?

Thank you fro anyone who replies!!!!

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: MATH APPS OR MATH METHODS FOR 99 ATAR
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 01:36:14 pm »
Not sure how to help you specifically - you appear to not be from NSW but you've posted in the HSC board. Posting in a more relevant board might get you a better response :)

However, you shouldn't drop a subject just because you want a better ATAR. There are way more variables at stake than just marks (enjoyment of a subject, if it is required as a university course prerequisite, etc.) To answer your last question, it's guaranteed that at some point someone has achieved a 99 ATAR with any one subject. I can't give any other information because I literally have no clue about either subject (being from NSW myself).

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: MATH APPS OR MATH METHODS FOR 99 ATAR
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 01:38:02 pm »
+1
Hey there lu21 and welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming you're from WA?

Here are some things to consider when choosing a math subject:

- do you need any as a prerequisite for uni courses?

- do you enjoy methods?

I'm not from WA, but the VCE curriculum seems to be similar to WACE. Methods 3&4 is an extension of the concepts studied in Units 1&2. Some people find it easier to jump from 1&2 to 3&4 than Year 10 to 1&2 and some people find it harder. I'm sure many people have achieved a 99 ATAR without doing methods at a similar rate to those who have done methods (I don't have the stats for this though). Anecdotally, someone I know from school only did subjects that scaled down and got a 99+ ATAR (albeit in the VCE curriculum), so yes, it is possible. Doing a subject for the scaling is not always the best idea because if your raw mark ends up lower than you'd like, your scaled score might end up lower than the raw score you could've gotten if you did a lower scaling subject.

Hope this helps you out a bit :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash