Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 02:18:44 am

Author Topic: Maths Extension 2  (Read 9378 times)  Share 

esteban

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Maths Extension 2
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
Well of course the correct answer will just depend on the precise definition being used.
Fwiw I think conventions vary because it doesn't matter too much whether you include the points with bounded orbits in the prisoner set or not. In either case the Julia set is defined to be the (topological) boundary of the prisoner set, which I think will not change.

Eg/ For c=0, the escape set is the exterior of the unit disk, and the prisoner set is either the interior of the unit disk or the closed unit disk depending on the convention. In either case, the Julia set here would be the unit circle.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 02:26:03 am »
If there is no strict convention, I have to question the assignment. The assignment was literally the sample task provided by NESA for students. Although investigation and other things like extraneous information is understandable, the question should have some strict "correct answer". It shouldn't be something that's dependent on what convention gets used.

(Aside to MX2 students: Don't worry about Julia sets and concepts of topological spaces.)

esteban

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 06:06:34 am »
Yep lol, no debate about it being a badly designed question without the explicit definition included.