Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:42 pm

Author Topic: Sticky Bun - is this a game that exists/existed?  (Read 7021 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Sticky Bun - is this a game that exists/existed?
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:48:02 pm »
+1
This is surely the most desperate of attempts, but here we go:

For literally about 15 years, I've been searching for an old school PC game we used to have on our primary school computers. I know that it existed. The only other people who remember it are my brother and my mate from school.

The thing is, it just doesn't seem to exist, no matter what I search for. It's been an ongoing source of frustration. I've listed what I recall of it below. If somebody could end up pointing me in the right direction, or if you had this same game, you have no idea how happy that would make me.

Recollections:
* I believe it was called "Sticky Bun" or similar.
* Basically all I recall of the gameplay was that (I think) it was a basic platform game.
* Your character (the equivalent of, say, Mario) was some sort of bun (presumably sticky).

And that's all I've got. Some of those memories might be reconstructed, too. Basically the only reference I've ever been able to find on the interwebz is this random post, which reads:

Seeing as this thread is still up does anyone know what that game is that its pretty much a 2d platformer and the main character is called Stickybun?

I played it in primary school and it was really cool.

It was a PC-ROM game I'm pretty sure.

Somebody responded suggesting the name of the game was "Stickybun's Quest", but that lead hasn't amounted to much.

ANYWAY. Huge long shot, but, any help?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Sticky Bun - is this a game that exists/existed?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:52:41 pm »
+2
Umm, was this bun, perhaps, falling down a sewer?

That's the only thing I can find, a sticky bun falling down a sewer. I mean, it's not a side-to-side game, it's a "I'm falling and I need to steer in order to not hit these pipes" game, but it involves Mario-esque pipes, so...

I tried.

But honestly if you've been looking for 15 years, and I looked for an hour with no results, not even a sniff of Old Stickybun, it's probably gone. My condolences.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:10:50 pm by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:23:39 pm »
+1
Umm, was this bun, perhaps, falling down a sewer?

That's the only thing I can find, a sticky bun falling down a sewer. I mean, it's not a side-to-side game, it's a "I'm falling and I need to steer in order to not hit these pipes" game, but it involves Mario-esque pipes, so...

I tried.

But honestly if you've been looking for 15 years, and I looked for an hour with no results, not even a sniff of Old Stickybun, it's probably gone. My condolences.

I don't think so, nope - but honestly impressed you found this considering I found absolutely nothing in pretty extensive searching haha.

Thanks for looking!

Patricia Malkasov

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 06:53:46 pm »
+1
IT EXISTS!!! I have looked for 20 years i played it at frank partrige primary school it was only on the computers in the computer room i convinced myself mr hanlen must have made it but finally someone has spoken about it online but why here where its so hard to reply where did you play sticky bun or buns it was a 2d platformer you played as a hamburger their was a night level with a bridge a bat and a sunflower thats all i remember

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:05:32 am »
IT EXISTS!!! I have looked for 20 years i played it at frank partrige primary school it was only on the computers in the computer room i convinced myself mr hanlen must have made it but finally someone has spoken about it online but why here where its so hard to reply where did you play sticky bun or buns it was a 2d platformer you played as a hamburger their was a night level with a bridge a bat and a sunflower thats all i remember

WOW! What an awesome post to read - thanks so much for responding. I'm so glad somebody else remembers it! I think about this game often.

Really interesting that you also played it at a primary school - and a primary school in a different state, too. I've wondered from time to time if it was a demo game or something like that and, therefore, wasn't widely distributed - but the different states make that seem a little less likely to me.

Since making the opening post, I've stumbled upon maybe one or two other mentions of the game online, but nothing of real substance - just memories a bit like ours. I hope one day we can find footage or a copy of the game, because it's taken up a lot of my thinking over the last decade or two!

What time period do you recall playing it? It was probably around 2000-2002 or so for me, and then not much after that.

Thanks again for your post. :)

Patricia Malkasov

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 03:55:26 pm »
+1
exact same time period we will find the little guy might have to talk to old teachers or search every opshop in au but we might have a chance at finding some truly lost media
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 04:00:48 pm by Patricia Malkasov »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 04:57:45 pm »
exact same time period we will find the little guy might have to talk to old teachers or search every opshop in au but we might have a chance at finding some truly lost media

I'm so happy you're posting here - thanks again.

We must find it. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the podcast "Reply All", but it would have been a perfect little challenge for them (I think the podcast is ending, unfortunately, but they've done some episodes on similar lost media type of things).

Was it a huge thing at your school? I remember all the cool kids used to play it at ours, haha.

Patricia Malkasov

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 10:17:53 pm »
I have one other friend on the case and I had to ask where you played it to make sure you weren't him haha this bun is a sticky one! we're planning on making a YouTube video about it hopefully the comment section can help ill link it when its up procrastination is our only enemy

Patricia Malkasov

• Fresh Poster

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 08:58:31 am »
I have one other friend on the case and I had to ask where you played it to make sure you weren't him haha this bun is a sticky one! we're planning on making a YouTube video about it hopefully the comment section can help ill link it when its up procrastination is our only enemy
Nice one! I hadn't even thought about making a YouTube vid. I hope it gets some traction and we get some answers.

P.S. I didn't remember there being a night level!