Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:16 am

Author Topic: HSC Software Design and Development Question Thread  (Read 25092 times)  Share 

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: HSC Software Design and Development Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 06:51:20 pm »
+1
Hey!
In Pseudocode is it okay to have mutliple end statements?
My gut says no and i should just stop being lazy and implement some sort of validation but thought i'd check instead :)

IE If i was trying to check if all numbers in an array(lets call it array1 for the lols) were even and I wanted to be lazy:

BEGIN lazyeven
    let L be length of array1
    FOR i = 1 TO L STEP 1
         IF array(l) modulo 2 is not 0 THEN
               Display "Every item in the array is not even!!"
               END lazyeven
         END IF
    NEXT i
    Display "every item in the array is even!!"
END lazyeven

In that case it would be much better to use a Pretest loop instead of a counting loop. Something like WHILE even = true.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 06:55:48 pm »
Hey to all that are doing programming paradigms, there is a dotpoint in the syllabus:
 - Simplifying the development and testing of some larger software products

The textbook did not really cover this and am wondering what how programming paradigms can do this. I know that OOP can due to the development of self-contained modules of code that can be independently tested but what about logic or imperative paradigm.

Thanks!

For logic paradigm it takes away the need to specify every single process(Heuristics) as opposed to imperative, cutting down on development time.

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:38:48 am »
You can use BREAK or RETURN to exit early.

are BREAK and RETURN allowed in pseudocode though? Like I know you can do it in programming, but I've been told that there are only a set amount of things you can do in pseudocode, i havent seen BREAK or RETURN in any sample NESA answers either hence i was hoping someone would have an answer rip

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:05 am »
+1
are BREAK and RETURN allowed in pseudocode though? Like I know you can do it in programming, but I've been told that there are only a set amount of things you can do in pseudocode, i havent seen BREAK or RETURN in any sample NESA answers either hence i was hoping someone would have an answer rip

Usually you don’t use BREAK or RETURN.
For the example pseudo code you gave before, I would replace the first END statement with “i = L + 1”
That way when they go to increment i, it already falls outside the loop’s bounds and so they automatically break :)

Good luck today!!
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 09:56:41 am »
Oh!
I hadnt even thought of doing that!
I completely forgot you could alter the counter value!!

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 05:35:47 am »
+3
Hi Opengangs and JTrudeau,

I just want to say thank you for helping me through my HSC for Software Design and Development!

Really it helped me a lot and allowed me to achieve a mark of 95 which I didn't think I would ever get, especially since up to the day before the HSC I was so utterly confused about the option topic haha

So a big THANK YOU from my part! :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:39:45 am by DrDusk »

liam.berkovsky

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 03:22:25 pm »
Hey there, I have this question that I am finding a bit hard and wouldn't mind some help or how to start the question thanks!

Splashes is a family owned business which provides swimming lessons for all ages, they are currently using a paper-based system to manage all their clients, instructors, bookings and payments

An example of a typical day:

1. 4, 30 minutes sessions of 4 levels
2. A client arrives and informs them of the child's name and the receptionist looks for the child's card/file from a filing system which is then manually ticked off against the correct date to confirm attendance and payment.
3. The client pays a fee of $15
4. If the child is absent a cross is placed next to their name
5. If the child is absent they are still required to pay the $15 and book a catch-up lesson(s)

A) Construct a system flowchart for the paper-based system
B) Recommend with justification an appropriate software approach
C) Create a DFD1 for the future computer-based system

Thanks in advance!

saloni.aphale

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 08:34:11 pm »
How does one do well in software, as it is an extremely hard subject.

Especially pseudocode. Does anyone have tips on how to learn pseudocode and be really good at it ?

Thank you.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 10:43:15 pm »
How does one do well in software, as it is an extremely hard subject.

Especially pseudocode. Does anyone have tips on how to learn pseudocode and be really good at it ?

Thank you.

I got full marks for all the algorithms in my HSC, so what I say is legit :)
Basically I found the only way to get really good at Pseudocode is by constantly doing questions, try and understand the solution the markers notes give and come back to the question like a month later and try it again.
You also really want to do the algorithms from the Independent paper as they are much harder than the HSC which is very good preparation. (If you dont have them drop an email and I can send them)

For my HSC I did every algorithm question from 2000 to 2017 probably 3-4 times, some maybe even more, plus the questions from the Independent paper like 2-3 times.

Now I'm not saying doing exactly that much will get you a really high mark, because I started out really bad at algorithms, IIRC I almost got none of them right in my year 11 yearly, so you may need less practice. All this also applies to your charts and diagrams.

For the theory just memorize the Sam Davis textbook completely and regurgitate it in the exam. I'm living proof that it works lol
But the point is start, and start now!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:11:22 pm by DrDusk »

saloni.aphale

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »
Hi,

i am currently doing my software major and i have come across this requirement:

3.   Develop stubs needed to represent menu options and command buttons
4.   Test the interface

What exactly is a stub and how do you document it, and how do you show that you have tested the interface.

thank you.

liam.berkovsky

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 06:49:52 pm »
How should I be preparing and studying for upcoming HSC and Trials?

Also is this a subject where I should be making study notes? I have made notes on the first two chapters of the Samuel Davis textbook but they are very long and time-consuming

Personally, my best areas are questions relating to algorithms, I sometimes struggle with diagrams and those long difficult short answer questions

Thanks!!

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 07:29:14 pm »
How should I be preparing and studying for upcoming HSC and Trials?

Also is this a subject where I should be making study notes? I have made notes on the first two chapters of the Samuel Davis textbook but they are very long and time-consuming

Personally, my best areas are questions relating to algorithms, I sometimes struggle with diagrams and those long difficult short answer questions

Thanks!!

Don't bother making notes, it is not necessary. What I would suggest is hammer out hard algorithms and chart questions, especially ones from Independent trials. If you don't have them I can email them to you. Then about say 2-3 weeks before your trial you want to start memorizing the Sam Davis textbook.

You need to be really selective with what to memorize because the Sam D textbook sometimes has useless information, so in each chapter look at each sub-heading memorize the relevant lines relating to:
Purpose
Effect on society/developer etc
Advantages & Disadvantages

When you feel like you've memorized some relevant sections, go on a website called hscsearch.com which was actually developed by my SDD teacher. Type in a keyword and you should get questions relevant to what you have memorized.

The best way for most to understand theory is probably what I mentioned above but personally I did something different, and this is slightly dodgy. I just went through each paper starting from 2001 to 2017 and looked at each short answer question, found its relevant section in the textbook, and memorized the sample answer and what the textbook said.

If your best area is questions relating to algorithms then you've already got all the hard stuff nailed down.
What do you mean when you say long difficult short answer questions? give me an example
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:38:30 pm by DrDusk »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 06:30:38 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm in year 11 and I have a test coming up on content for CH 4 : Defining and Understanding the Problem Designing and Planning the Solution (Samuel Davis book) Systems Modelling Tools, Representation of integers in Decimal, Binary, Hexadecimal formats, Data Types, Data Structures and Structured Algorithms. Does anyone have any past advice or helpful tips on what the crucial/ main elements of each are so I can study effectively?

Cheers ;)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 01:33:25 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm in year 11 and I have a test coming up on content for CH 4 : Defining and Understanding the Problem Designing and Planning the Solution (Samuel Davis book) Systems Modelling Tools, Representation of integers in Decimal, Binary, Hexadecimal formats, Data Types, Data Structures and Structured Algorithms. Does anyone have any past advice or helpful tips on what the crucial/ main elements of each are so I can study effectively?

Cheers ;)

That's so weird how your test is just based on one chapter..
System Modelling tools:
Know their brief definitions, how they convey the software/system and their purpose like how they help the developer etc 
Know how to draw each of them for a given scenario. Most likely you will be asked a DFD/Context Diagram, and Structure chart, so make sure you pay most attention to them. System flowcharts and IPO's aren't asked as much but make sure you can draw them as well.
A very common question is asking you to convert code to the structure chart/flowchart and vice versa, especially in the MC

Representation of integers:
This parts very basic, just know whatever the textbook says. Quite straightforward

Formats, Data Types, Data Structures
Data types is quite straightforward, just know them all and the different types of data they represent. E.g Double can contain an int but they are different.
Data structures is the same, know them and what type of data each can store, noting restrictions such as an array which can only have one data type. Know why one would be favourable over another etc. A very common type of question would be where they give you a scenario and tell you to recommend a data structure - there was one in the 2018 HSC q28! Make sure you know how to use them properly in writing algorithms.
Know your control structures as those are common MC questions

Structured algorithms
This section is quite basic in the prelim course but gets really difficult in the HSC course. You may have to reproduce these algorithms in an exam so make sure you have them memorised. However it would be more helpful if you understand how they work so you can reproduce one without the need to memorise.
A very common question would be they give you an algorithm and ask you to identify the mistakes and correct them, so its important for you to be able to analyse code for errors.

If you need help with a question just post it up here and I'll get to you.
Other than that practise your algorithm writing skills and good luck! :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:52:58 am by DrDusk »

saloni.aphale

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 09:03:00 am »
Hi,

could someone please email harder chart and algorithm questions please. Thank you