Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:52:14 am

Author Topic: Society and Culture Question Thread  (Read 48910 times)  Share 

fitemebigbois

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Society and Culture Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:54 pm »
What were the answers to mc HAHAHA

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »
What were the answers to mc HAHAHA

We currently don't have a copy to this year's exam, so we can't give out the answers for it :(
Although, I have to admit the questions were pretty brutal...
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fitemebigbois

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 09:17:35 pm »
Ahhh I see!! And YEAH!! That was such a curveball test, definitely not expected those 5 markers in the depth study  :'(

Raji123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:33:11 am »
Can someone pls post answers for MC society and culture exam???

rasha25

• Forum Regular
  • The world looks better upside down
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:46 pm »
Hi, I just started year 12 and I'm doing Society and Culture. My proposal is due this week, can someone please check my proposal, all feed is welcome  :D I have attached it bellow. Have a lovely evening.

~ 2018 ~
Advanced English | Legal Studies | Modern History | Society & Culture | Studies of Religion | Extension History | Business Studies

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 10:40:33 pm »
+3
Hi, I just started year 12 and I'm doing Society and Culture. My proposal is due this week, can someone please check my proposal, all feed is welcome  :D I have attached it bellow. Have a lovely evening.

I'm just going to make some points as I read through your PIP proposal:

- Title could probably be shortened down to 'My Australia is our Australia', but overall I like the tone and its introduction to your PIP's idea
- Like how you amalgamated your own personal experiences and Garvey's research in your mini intro
- I can see that your PIP is heavily influenced by your background, but keep in mind to keep an unbiased opinion on the matter to demonstrate full social and cultural literacy (This is a matter of my first impression from reading the 'Outline your general...' paragraph. My opinion may change the more I read your proposal)
- I feel like the question is a bit/too specific, unless that is what you are going for. How will you categorise each chapter? What will each chapter talk about? (Again this is just my first impression. Opinion may change as soon as I read more). Your question has to be flexible enough to have a 5000 research paper, but not too broad that you are just viewing society from its first layer.
- What's your hypothesis? This is really crucial as you will have an idea what direction you want your PIP to head in.
- Other concepts you may want to mention: society, power, authority (?), identity
- I like what you have planned for your cross cultural comparison! :)
- I see that you have mentioned what you will be talking about in each chapter, so disregard my previous comment.
- Other primary research methodologies you can possibly use: content analysis (analyse the media), personal reflection (already evident, but use your own personal opinions as a starter rather than using it to prove your case. if you just use personal reflection on its own, without any secondary research, it'll just become biased and you will lose marks), case study (again the media would be good for this!)
- Do you have a log book where you've been logging your progress?
- Will you be using a social theory somewhere in your PIP?

If you need anymore help, you can check out this guide for more tips for your PIP or come back to this question thread.
Good luck!

**(Please do keep in mind that the comments I just made are just my own personal opinions/suggestions. So you don't have to follow my comments whatsoever, as SAC is a very abstract subject.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:43:52 pm by beatroot »

rasha25

• Forum Regular
  • The world looks better upside down
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 04:50:06 am »
Thank you so much that was very helpful and with my question my teacher was concerned about it before because it was too broad and told me to make it more clear thats kind of why its very specific.
~ 2018 ~
Advanced English | Legal Studies | Modern History | Society & Culture | Studies of Religion | Extension History | Business Studies

huss1235

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 03:22:26 pm »
i am willing to contribute towards popular culture

lifeismagica1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 06:00:53 pm »
Hey there!
In regards to my PIP that I yet to do, I have been concerned and unsure of one aspect of it. The topic I have chosen to research has many secondary resources about it, being statistics or articles, although they are all based in America or Britain, not much at all in Australia. So I was just wondering, does my PIP research have to be based in Australia, or just in general.
Thank you  :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 07:01:27 pm »
Hey there!
In regards to my PIP that I yet to do, I have been concerned and unsure of one aspect of it. The topic I have chosen to research has many secondary resources about it, being statistics or articles, although they are all based in America or Britain, not much at all in Australia. So I was just wondering, does my PIP research have to be based in Australia, or just in general.
Thank you  :)

Hey! Welcome to the forums :)

On the NESA website, it doesn’t explicity say that your research has to come from Australian sources. Your PIP topic is a matter of preference and shouldn’t be based on how much secondary research you’ve got. Personally I think it’s better if there’s some Australian sources somewhere in your PIP as this can help you with your cross cultural comparison. If your secondary research is mainly American/British and your primary research is mainly Australian (unless you’re able to contact someone overseas regarding your topic), this might confuse the markers as your secondary research is meant to back up your primary research. Just try have a mix of sources  in your PIP to ensure maximum marks and less confusion with the markers.

Hope this helps! :) (if you don’t mind me asking, what topic are you doing? There might be Australian secondary sources for it.)

lifeismagica1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 07:16:43 pm »
+1
Sorry, I'm new to this site so i don't know how to reply to your specific message  :-[
I really appreciate your reply, and I think I'm going stick with any Australian secondary sources I can find to avoid confusing the markers, but also myself. My topic is: "Impacts of media coverage on Islam before and after the events of 9/11", with my cross- cultural component being time.
Thank you once again for your help

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 07:36:17 pm »
Sorry, I'm new to this site so i don't know how to reply to your specific message  :-[
I really appreciate your reply, and I think I'm going stick with any Australian secondary sources I can find to avoid confusing the markers, but also myself. My topic is: "Impacts of media coverage on Islam before and after the events of 9/11", with my cross- cultural component being time.

No need to apologise! We were all once new to this site ;). If you want to reply directly to me, all you have to do is click on ‘quote’ on the top right corner and the /said/ quote should appear in your reply box :)

Good luck with your PIP journey !! (I definitely think there’s alot of Australian sources for your topic)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 12:15:00 pm »
+1
Beatroot seems to have answered your question pretty well, so i have nothing much to add
But dropped by here to wish you luck with your PIP as well!  :)
I'm going to be completing mine right alongside you this year!!
Also be sure to check out this guide that beatroot and i have written regarding research methodologies in your PIP!
If you have anymore questions, be sure to drop them on this thread for us to answer!
Good luck!!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

lifeismagica1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 08:24:19 pm »
+1
Beatroot seems to have answered your question pretty well, so i have nothing much to add
But dropped by here to wish you luck with your PIP as well!  :)
I'm going to be completing mine right alongside you this year!!
Also be sure to check out this guide that beatroot and i have written regarding research methodologies in your PIP!
If you have anymore questions, be sure to drop them on this thread for us to answer!
Good luck!!

yess, I'll be sure to check out the resources. Thank you so much. Good luck for your PIP  xx

OverUnderachiever

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 07:10:04 pm »
For my pip, can i do my topic on asian countries in general (i will pinpoint specific asian countries in my pip) or do i have to refer to one asian country? like when i want to talk about the perspectives of asians in australia. can i do that or one specific country?