Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 02:49:57 am

Author Topic: Pottermore, baby.  (Read 6182 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Re: Pottermore, baby.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:16 pm »
Hahaha the usernames are the most annoying!
Chapter 7 is the sorting, Kaz.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Holmes

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • In Ravenclaw! on Pottermore.com
  • School: MHS
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 07:09:13 pm »
The user "Holmes" should have a lot to say in this thread :P

btw I gave up on Pottermore after a week or so after I realised how addicted I could get :(

Yes, I do have far too much to say on this topic. As my signature hopefully says, I'm in Ravenclaw. It's kinda strange to me when people's main exposure to Harry Potter is only through the books by JK Rowling (where else would it be from?, I hear you ask), and you just want to be a brave, courageous and loyal lion, but you wouldn't mind being sorted into Ravenclaw because you're obviously smart, and at a stretch maybe Hufflepuff (though I don't know why), but please NOT SLYTHERIN, NOT SLYTHERIN.

But after having read a couple of million words + of HP fanfiction on fanfic.net, you will understand that there is far more to Harry Potter than the books by Jo. I've read the equivalent of three times the HP series of books in fanfic (~ 3 million words so far). I think that fanfic.net is an integral part of Harry Potter culture, where you get some highly talented people from the public putting in their time to make brilliant works of writing from which they make no money, even though some of their writing is so good that without any copyright on Harry Potter the writers would probably make a pile of  money from their stories.  One of the most reviewed books on fanfic.net is one that is 500,000 words + and still going, and is highly addicting, and I've included a link to a highly comedic and brilliant chapter 5 from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (be warned, you may find yourself living on coffee for a few days as you struggle to finish this fanfic, forsaking all sleep and hygiene) , so i've hidden the link as a spoiler: (actually, I only like the first 20 or so chapters of this fanfic, it gets kinda tedious and stops becoming a fanfic because it just flies away from any connections with the original canon and the writer goes a bit overboard with his incredibly complicated plot).

So, I obviously am so embroiled in the world of Harry Potter that I just went on a complete tangent to what this post was actually about, so I'll try to establish a tenuous link. *As I completely intended to eventually say*, after reading so much fanfic your perception kinda changes of the house system. It all becomes like school houses; they're not sorted based on personality traits (ah, how I wish that we could have as strong a house rivalry at our school as between Gryfindor and Slytherin, the houses are kinda randomised or based on sporting talents pre-yr 9 which kinda change during your life at school, so we become a randomly assigned clan who all love eachother on Athletics Carnival or Chorales day). Especially for most of people who use pottermore, that's to say, most of the muggles who use it, the house segregation on pottermore is no where near as influencing on your life as in the books themselves, but in defence of this statement, I shall say that when Ravenclaw fails to win the house cup on pottermore, it's because the muggles were too busy studying in real life to earn points in the virtual world of Harry Potter.

But yeah, moving on to pottermore, it's really really amazing, I was and still am captivated by it. Have you users come across the official pottermore insider blog (http://insider.pottermore.com/)?, they post updates and it's pretty exciting most of the time. [pre-PS: Pi, I encourage you to visit pottermore again! I think it'll be an even more amazing site within a few years as it technologically develops]. Also, the art that users submit on pottermore is amazing, I actually had no idea of the brilliantly talented artists out there until the insider blog started posting artwork, and alongside my contact with atarnotes, I began to get a sense of the sheer amount of talent in the world. It actually made me realise that everyone is talented, and amazing, and you just don't always realise it until you do.

And that's only some of what Harry Potter means to me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:44:51 am by Holmes »

Jeggz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies' College
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 09:19:55 pm »
^ WOW!
Melbourne University - Commerce; Actuarial Studies.

Tutoring 2015 - Email/PM for places!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 02:30:00 pm »
Kazdawg, didja get sorted? (Chapter 7 son)

aishuwa1995

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 09:24:57 pm »
OMG! OMG! OMG! Pottermore! I haven't been on in ages!! Are all the books up now? I got a choice between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw and I chose Ravenclaw mainly because I don't see myself as brave ???

Holmes

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »
OMG! OMG! OMG! Pottermore! I haven't been on in ages!! Are all the books up now?

No, of course the books aren't all up yet! They're still midway through book 3. I think this is good though, because in about 5 years when book 7 will be coming out, I'm guessing that the site is gonna be mega awesome and super technologically developed.

I got a choice between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw and I chose Ravenclaw mainly because I don't see myself as brave ???
What do you mean you got a choice? You're not presented with two options of houses, the omniscient hat chooses and you are resigned to your the house of your destiny without any choice in the matter. And you think you're not brave, eh? It's all here in your head. You could do great things, yes, great things. And braveness will help you to achieve greatness. Not Gryffindor then? Well, AtarNotes will certainly appreciate another intelligent person. BETTER BE RAVENCLAW!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:34:33 pm by Holmes »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 12:57:22 am »
Holy shit I just saw your massive post. I like this guy ^

P.S, help me out here, I've been trying to remember the name - the fanfic that has millions of readers, and involves Merlin (It's centred around the James Potter (the 2nd) universe)... At one point in the story James duels Slytherin because he travels back in time... I could probably find it on Google but ATAR Notes may as well be the same thing.

aishuwa1995

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:07 pm »
What do you mean you got a choice? You're not presented with two options of houses, the omniscient hat chooses and you are resigned to your the house of your destiny without any choice in the matter.

yeah, I got a choice on my last question in the quiz..I can't remember what exactly it said (cos I joined a long time ago :-/) The thing is though..I'm not smart enough to be in Ravenclaw either :-\

And you think you're not brave, eh? It's all here in your head. You could do great things, yes, great things. And braveness will help you to achieve greatness. Not Gryffindor then? Well, AtarNotes will certainly appreciate another intelligent person. BETTER BE RAVENCLAW!

love what you did here :P :)

Holmes

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »
Holy shit I just saw your massive post. I like this guy ^
:P Thank you, and you're too nice! Anyway, you marked my language analysis a few weeks ago, and I like you too!

P.S, help me out here, I've been trying to remember the name - the fanfic that has millions of readers, and involves Merlin (It's centred around the James Potter (the 2nd) universe)... At one point in the story James duels Slytherin because he travels back in time... I could probably find it on Google but ATAR Notes may as well be the same thing.

I'm really sorry but I'm not familiar with that fic. It seems like a crossover, and quite surprisingly, the only crossovers I've read are between Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter :P Although, there was an incredibly interesting fanfic I read which mixes Dungeons and Dragons with Harry Potter, it's pretty cool. Now I've added dungeons and dragons to the list of things I wanna learn.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:34 pm »
Nah it's not a crossover. Seriously you can't call yourself a fan of fanfic if you haven't read this series... I'll google it.

Edit: http://www.jamespotterseries.com

Probably shouldn't have given you that until school's over.

Holmes

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 09:33:53 pm »
Seriously you can't call yourself a fan of fanfic if you haven't read this series

Seriously you can't call yourself a fan of fanfic if you haven't read this series
you can't call yourself a fan

One word.

Siriusly?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »
It is legit the most read fanfic of Harry Potter. It has a bloody website!

Holmes

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »
Yeah, it actually seems pretty intricate. But then again, HPMOR has its own site as well. It's an easier site to navigate: http://hpmor.com/