Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:43:41 am

Author Topic: Pottermore, baby.  (Read 6159 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Pottermore, baby.
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »
I am currently on a furious quest through the first book on Pottermore so I may be sorted. A bunch of Year 12 girls that I tutor at my school (for free, I'm not tutoring, just preemptively) were all sorted into Slytherin.
No, I didn't end the friendship. They did tell me, however, that I would be sorted into Ravenclaw, to which I vehemently disagreed with. I personally think I'm either a Hufflepuff or a Gryffindor, so I'm going to find out.
I just got my wand -> "Elder with unicorn core, fourteen and a half inches, unyielding". I did have to hold back laughter.
SO EVERYONE GO DO POTTERMORE AND DISCUSS THINGS WITH ME JAJAJA.

Also, what are your favourite houses? Mine would be Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin. In that order.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Pottermore, baby.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:19 pm »
YAY!!!! I love pottermore.
Its so good and surpirsing that its free.

Im in Ravenclaw :)
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:47:31 pm »
Yeah it's actually incredibly detailed.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »
I'm going to crack it if I'm in RC or Slytherin.

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:08:45 pm »
I'm going to crack it if I'm in RC or Slytherin.

lol just make another account
Im eagerly awaiting the next part to be released
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:11:46 pm »
Hufflepuff! :D
Now, there are a few things you should know about Hufflepuff house. First of all, let’s deal with a perennial myth about the place, which is that we’re the least clever house. WRONG. Hufflepuff is certainly the least boastful house, but we’ve produced just as many brilliant witches and wizards as any other. Want proof? Look up Grogan Stump, one of the most popular Ministers for Magic of all time. He was a Hufflepuff – as were the successful Ministers Artemesia Lufkin and Dugald McPhail. Then there’s the world authority on magical creatures, Newt Scamander; Bridget Wenlock, the famous thirteenth-century Arithmancer who first discovered the magical properties of the number seven, and Hengist of Woodcroft, who founded the all-wizarding village of Hogsmeade, which lies very near Hogwarts School. Hufflepuffs all.

So, as you can see, we’ve produced more than our fair share of powerful, brilliant and daring witches and wizards, but, just because we don’t shout about it, we don’t get the credit we deserve. Ravenclaws, in particular, assume that any outstanding achiever must have come from their house. I got into big trouble during my third year for duelling a Ravenclaw prefect who insisted that Bridget Wenlock had come from his house, not mine. I should have got a week of detentions, but Professor Sprout let me off with a warning and a box of coconut ice.

Hufflepuffs are trustworthy and loyal. We don’t shoot our mouths off, but cross us at your peril; like our emblem, the badger, we will protect ourselves, our friends and our families against all-comers. Nobody intimidates us.

However, it’s true that Hufflepuff is a bit lacking in one area. We’ve produced the fewest Dark wizards of any house in this school. Of course, you’d expect Slytherin to churn out evil-doers, seeing as they’ve never heard of fair play and prefer cheating over hard work any day, but even Gryffindor (the house we get on best with) has produced a few dodgy characters.

What else do you need to know? Oh yes, the entrance to the common room is concealed in a stack of large barrels in a nook on the right hand side of the kitchen corridor. Tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, in the rhythm of ‘Helga Hufflepuff’, and the lid will swing open. We are the only house at Hogwarts that also has a repelling device for would-be intruders. If the wrong lid is tapped, or if the rhythm of the tapping is wrong, the illegal entrant is doused in vinegar.

You will hear other houses boast of their security arrangements, but it so happens that in more than a thousand years, the Hufflepuff common room and dormitories have never been seen by outsiders. Like badgers, we know exactly how to lie low – and how to defend ourselves.

Once you’ve opened the barrel, crawl inside and along the passageway behind it, and you will emerge into the cosiest common room of them all. It is round and earthy and low-ceilinged; it always feels sunny, and its circular windows have a view of rippling grass and dandelions.

There is a lot of burnished copper about the place, and many plants, which either hang from the ceiling or sit on the windowsills. Our Head of house, Professor Pomona Sprout, is Head of Herbology, and she brings the most interesting specimens (some of which dance and talk) to decorate our room – one reason why Hufflepuffs are often very good at Herbology. Our overstuffed sofas and chairs are upholstered in yellow and black, and our dormitories are reached through round doors in the walls of the common room. Copper lamps cast a warm light over our four-posters, all of which are covered in patchwork quilts, and copper bed warmers hang on the walls, should you have cold feet.

Our house ghost is the friendliest of them all: the Fat Friar. You’ll recognise him easily enough; he’s plump and wears monk’s robes, and he’s very helpful if you get lost or are in any kind of trouble.

I think that’s nearly everything. I must say, I hope some of you are good Quidditch players. Hufflepuff hasn’t done as well as I’d like in the Quidditch tournament lately.

You should sleep comfortably. We’re protected from storms and wind down in our dormitories; we never have the disturbed nights those in the towers sometimes experience.

And once again: congratulations on becoming a member of the friendliest, most decent and most tenacious house of them all.

Jeggz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies' College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:31:13 pm »
The hottest man to ever have walked in the Harry Potter series, was in Hufflepuff  ;)
So congrats Brenden!
No judgement guys.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:33:43 pm by myuraa »
Melbourne University - Commerce; Actuarial Studies.

Tutoring 2015 - Email/PM for places!

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:31:31 pm »
@ Brenden: why do you dislike Ravenclaw?

I'm actually pretty fond of that house...  :P
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 07:45:50 pm »
I don't dislike Ravenclaw, I would just not want to be sorted as one. Being chivalrous, courageous, patient, kind, unafraid of toil etc etc doesn't disqualify you from intelligence. I guess I'd just be very frustrated to be identified as 'smart' rather than the values of Gryffindor or Hufflepuff.

From the Harry Potter wiki, Hufflepuff's traits are: dedication, hard work, fair play, patience kindness, tolerance, unafraid of toil.
I don't mind Ravenclaw, I just don't think I am one hahaha.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »
The user "Holmes" should have a lot to say in this thread :P

btw I gave up on Pottermore after a week or so after I realised how addicted I could get :(

RTandon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Forever a fob
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:32:21 pm »
I'm in Slytherin.
At first I was so disappointed but now I realise that I actually belong there. I have a lot of the Slytherin qualities it turns out :P

I was really proud when I managed to solve Snape's puzzle in book one without any help. Wooo.
Accounting | English Language | Product & Design | Psychology | Business Management | Methods

A fashion designer in the making ;)

simba

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »
Griffindorian here on Pottermore ;D

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 10:24:21 pm »
Gryffindor what up
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:02:55 am »
I won't lie, I was hoping for Gryffindor, but I think after reading the qualities of each house on the HP wiki, Hufflepuff has to be my favourite.

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:26:26 pm »
Stayed away from Pottermore thus far coz I know I would get addicted, but this thread made me sign up coz I want to know what house I'm in. And I also needed a place to safe-keep my username ahaha (WildWillow22819)
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.