Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:04:21 pm

Author Topic: Topics in university biology  (Read 4297 times)  Share 

A+study

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Topics in university biology
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:32:26 pm »
I'm enrolling in two first year university biology units next year and haven't done any VCE sciences. What topics are generally covered in first year biology at uni (please be specific), as I wish to teach myself these areas over summer. Thanks! :)

Cloud.Nine

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Topics in university biology
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 03:36:41 pm »
Hello, I have just finished 2 semesters of University Biology.

I'd recommend starting you're study with Genetics/DNA, you can almost guarantee that will form a large part of you're lectures and labs. This will include studying the structure of DNA, Transcription & Translation, Mitosis & Meiosis and Genetic Technology. Also cellular biomolecules such as your Carbohdrates, Amino Acids, Lipids and the structure and function of Cells (eukaryotic and prokaryotic)

Some other topics I would focus on that are likely to be covered; Nervous System, Homeostasis, Metabolism, Hormones & Reproduction, Animal Development, Basic Immunology and Viruses, Microbiology (Bacteria structure and Function), structure and function of the lungs, heart, kidney, brain. These were the main topics that were covered in my last semester of Biology.
2014: Bachelor of Science @ Monash Uni, Clayton.
Developmental Biology

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Topics in university biology
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:26:02 am »
Pretty similar to the VCE curriculum really. You could do worse than look over the VCE books and resources (podcasts, etc).

That said, it assumes no background so you should be fine, just work a bit harder at it during semester.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research