Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:39:55 pm

Author Topic: Who are your heroes?  (Read 1507 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Who are your heroes?
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:47:50 pm »
+9
And who do you look up to?

When I was younger, most of mine were sport-based. So like, Kumar Sangakkara, Adam Gilchrist, Mark Boucher - cricketers I felt I could identify with and learn from (I was a wicket keeper).

Since then, I've come to really respect and admire a bunch of people, such as:
* Kate Burridge
* David Mitchell
* Stephen Fry
* Julia Gillard
* Louis Theroux
* Penny Wong
* Barack Obama
* Gretchen McCulloch

Who are your heroes, and why?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Who are your heroes?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:10:46 pm »
+10
Well, for starters:

- Nick (Joseph41)
- Caleb(ark)
- Brenden (brenden)
- insanipi
- miniturtle
- beatroot (or should I say beatriot)
- PhoenixxFire
- et cetera
- Basically all graduates still on AN, like damn

No joke you guys are amazing. Talented, caring, and very skilled in the art of banter. I don’t know where I would be without AN’s unending support, and that in itself inspires me to be a better person and help others.

Then I got:
- Lao Tzu
- Ghandi
- my Biology teacher
- Brandon Sanderson
- Jerry Lewis
- C.S. Lewis
- my mother
- David Mitchell (yes Nick, I have a comedy crush on DM.)
- David Bowie (RIP :( )
- David my paternal grandfather (too many Davids)
- Patty Jenkins
- Graeme Base
- Peter Cosgrove
- and more artist idols than I can count. :)

There are so many good people in the world. People we can look up to and follow, or at the very least, remember for what they did to make the world that little bit better. Whether they’re well-known or silent, it doesn’t matter. The good always shines through.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19:59 pm »
+5
I found this a couple of weeks ago, and it really impacted me...
Taking a step into a controversy that no-one wanted to hear, I really respect that, and I think were a hero Peter Norman...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:42:19 pm »
+4

<3

off topic
I haven't read any Sanderson yet (I stopped reading wheel of time after the 8th(?) book and forgot to finish it so I never read the last one and I haven't been doing much reading since VCE so I haven't read his full series (plural)) but I've heard enough good things that I want to.

We watched a documentry about this at Alpine School - I wish we learnt more contemporary history in highschool because people like this should be more known. (And I say this as someone who exclusively studied STEM in VCE)

I've never really been a person to look up at people as heros but Malala Yousafzai is incredible.

Also major respect and admiration for my mum, and some of my friends.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:58:50 pm »
+5
I don't really do the whole hero thing, but I do have a few

-Malala Yousafzai. I had to read I am Malala for English and everyone at school reckons it's boring but damn she is awesome (she's also coming to Melbourne in December if anyone is interested lol)
-Andy Samberg. If you don't recognise his name, he's the actor who plays Jake Peralta in Brooklyn nine-nine. Not only does the show highlight real issues but in a comedic way, he does it too.
-David Attenborough. For obvious reasons haha. But also everyone else who works to bring awareness to issues facing our planet.

More generally, everyone who makes the world a better place, in whatever way they choose. And yes that includes all of you when I first saw this thread I was just going to reply with 'you' but I thought that might be a bit weird, but it's okay because poet did it first <3
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 12:07:56 am »
+5
I wouldn't really say hero, but rather people I look up to:

-Zlatan Ibrahimovic: He was someone I looked up to growing up, a Swedish footballer of Bosnian-Croatian descent, whose parents endured the horrors of the Yugoslavian War, grew up in poverty, dad was an alcoholic, half-sister had drug issues, parents separated when he was really young, committed petty crime growing up, experienced racism and was looked down upon by teachers, people in richer football clubs and the media yet still became one of the best footballers in the world whilst insisting on being himself. He is often accused of having a very big ego, but it's something I empathise with given the conditions he grew up in, somethings you need to have a strong belief in yourself as ego as a defense-mechanism to believe you can get through and achieve the things you want. It was something I adopted growing up, following him. He also stays true to his upbringing by insisting on having his surname on the back of his shirt when he became only known my his first name and dedicating his autobiography to "all the kids who feel different, who don't quite fit in, and who are singled out for the wrong reasons".
-Chester Bennington: For being so brutally truthful in his darkest moments and for making me feel less alone growing up. The song 'Numb' still feels so raw.
-Malala Yousafzai Such an inspiring and down to earth person even after all the attention she has got.
-Viola Davis: She kickass on How To Get Away With Murder, but is also an activist on so many issues that affects low-income communities. Also advocates very strongly for diversity in acting industry, and does it with so much eloquence and confidence (which is necessary in order to be effective, given that people can be sensitive and critical around such issues).
-My literature tutor at uni Like the only non-white person in the English department (he's considered a faculty member because he's close to being a lecturer and is already coordinating/lecturing subjects). He's super well educated but very down to earth (swears in tutes and has a natural sense of humour). He given me more time outside of class than any of my teachers did (have one and a half hour meetings with him every week). Has also provided more empathetic responses to my circumstances than my teachers did (even though he only knew about them because I provided a one sentence explanation for an extension application), he still wants to be updated- includes "hope your screening went well" in his emails as well as talking for almost for half an hour about my life in our meetings. And even though I'm going through a difficult situation-cancer diagnosis (mildest form), he still treats me as someone that wants to learn, write insightful and original essays and encourages me to do so. In the past when I was in similar situations, such as anxiety issues in VCE, I was simply told 'you shouldn't aim for high grades, especially when your course doesn't require one....and you are probably not capable of those grades if you have confidence issues' and in early high school where staff basically accepted that I was going to wag school most of the time. My uni tutor shows that there are ways to be considerate of one's circumstances, be nice whilst encouraging them to learn, complete work and extend themselves.
-Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza, Opal Tometi: The founders of Black Lives Matter, I think the impacts of police brutality on black women are often invisibilised. Also these three women still do so much community level work for survivors of domestic violence, LGBTIQ rights and domestic workers outside of BLM.
-James Delano: His environmental photojournalism that intersects with human rights and culture is harrowing, inspiring and captivating. The communities that are affected are very much the focus of his work.
-Shonda Rhimes: For bringing the most kickass female protagonists to the fore of TV (many of which seem like amazing people in real life). Also supports many emerging screenwriters from diverse backgrounds.
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Books are the cornerstone of the psychological and philosophical underpinnings of human society. Philosophy imbedded in imaginative literature...

Humans in general and unique and inspiring
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:05:57 am by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb