Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:51:20 pm

Author Topic: I'm going to get a doggo - advice needed. P.S. Please upload pics of your dogs.  (Read 7975 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
As per title.

The leader at the moment is a beautiful bernedoodle. ;D

But I've never had a dog before, so would love some general advice/breed recommendations etc.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:34:03 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: I'm going to get a dog. What type of dog should I get?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:41 am »
+8
Don't know heaps about breeds but just make sure you're sourcing your dog from a reputable breeder/rescue place :) And make sure you know how big your dog will get - is your house compatible with a larger dog? is your yard enough to keep it secure when you're not at home? and be willing to spend more money on food for a bigger dog than you would on smaller dogs. Also keep in mind how much exercise it's gonna need - are you home enough to walk it x times per day for x amount of time?

I think a common mistake people make (assuming commonality from how many I see living in the suburbs) is getting cattle dogs/farm dogs - blue heelers, border collies, kelpies, etc. and they live in the suburbs with a small yard and aren't home enough to give them the necessary exercise. These dogs have a natural instinct to herd livestock - they need big open spaces to run around in, and need plenty of stimulation.

Honestly I think this is all probably obvious, common sense stuff but it can't hurt to mention :)

Bernedoodle - super cute (how much money are you gonna fork out to get it? haha). I love spoodles and cavoodles - super adorable and a really good temperament

Looking forward to giving your doggo many pats and cuddles when you get one ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:48:53 pm by K888 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
Re: I'm going to get a dog. What type of dog should I get?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:17 pm »
+2
Thanks K888. :) Definitely a lot of good factors there to consider. Also happy to use this thread for people to show off their own doggos. The more pictures, the better. ;D

@Calebark, surprised you haven't pitched in here yet.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
@Calebark, surprised you haven't pitched in here yet.

To be fair, Kate pretty much hit the nail on the head here, so I don't have much to contribute haha. What kind of housing conditions will be in? Yard or not? Indoor dog or outdoor dog? Any other pets?

Going in blindly, I do recommend Labrador Retrievers. I had one aaaggeess ago (as a trainee Customs dogs), and they're fantastic, especially for novice owners. They're suited to both cold and warm weather. They, as with all retrievers, are incredibly friendly, if not a bit TOO friendly sometimes (so it's good to warn potential visitors). Grooming is easy, they don't drool much, and they don't have as many health issues as other common dogs -- the only major health concern is they have a propensity for weight gain so be careful with that. They're easy to train, pree intelligent, and they're not aggressive. Amazing first dogs, but only if you can be with them a lot (they dislike being alone) and provide lots of exercise. They have pretty high energy levels, and while they're easy to control, they definitely need an active lifestyle. If you're looking to buy from a breeder, there's a big gap in prices. However, I've browsed rescue websites (...I enjoy it...), and they're not uncommon if you're willing to wait a bit :)

proof of cuteness. not mine, but I had a black lab

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Can't provide much input to the thread but I've gotta say the bernedoodle in the OP is extraordinarily cute... if you can't decide on one, please get that by default. 
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

Joseph41

• Administrator
@Caleb: thank you kindly! That black lab is absolutely adorable.

@Alter: well, I guess it's settled then. ;)

napkin101

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Just wanted to add onto OP. What are the prices of these dogs? Is it possible to get a dog that is on the cheaper side? :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
Just wanted to add onto OP. What are the prices of these dogs? Is it possible to get a dog that is on the cheaper side? :)

Honestly have spent my time looking at cute pictures and not researching anything practical lol, but pretty sure bernedoodles would be expensive.

No idea what the buying process would entail tbh.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Honestly have spent my time looking at cute pictures and not researching anything practical lol, but pretty sure bernedoodles would be expensive.

No idea what the buying process would entail tbh.
Spoodle puppies generally cost ~3k so would imagine they're around that range, if not higher

Joseph41

• Administrator
Spoodle puppies generally cost ~3k so would imagine they're around that range, if not higher

For a doggo like the one in the OP? Worth every cent.

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
Just coming in to send pictures of my dogs :) Don't really have advice, I'd try to adopt though; it's so rewarding. (The one on the left was abandoned in someone's backyard, he was very malnourished.)

Dogs!
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Just coming in to send pictures of my dogs :) Don't really have advice, I'd try to adopt though; it's so rewarding. (The one on the left was abandoned in someone's backyard, he was very malnourished.)

Dogs!
Please give your doggos cuddles from me. So cute. Bless them

Joseph41

• Administrator

Dogs!

This is everything I wanted this thread to be. What breed (or breeds?) is this? What's their manner like? I'm pretty ignorant with dogs - I want to learn!

Please, more doggos.

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
This is everything I wanted this thread to be. What breed (or breeds?) is this? What's their manner like? I'm pretty ignorant with dogs - I want to learn!

Please, more doggos.

Border Collies!

Very smart dogs, (Hence why they are used in both farms and competitions). As for how they act, it's very difficult, the one of the left is very calm and collected, doesn't really get excited over little things whereas the one on the right is the complete opposite, she loves attention, very all over the place, and gets excited whenever she hears anything. They both are really smart and are able to do some real nifty tricks!

A very nice breed of dog! I love them! :))
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
1. Search the dog’s nature. Some breeds have tendencies to be aloof, some loyal, some protective. PetGuide and PetWave are two sites to learn more about dog breeds.

2. As per Kate, don’t be dumb and get a farm dog for a suburb house.

3. Research likelihood of genetic issues that will suck money. Some dogs you’re looking at the upfront purchase price, and you’ll spend more than the purchase price on vet bills.

4. Don’t go just on looks - personality is very important.

5. Source ethically, as per Kate.

Staffy Terriers are the best dogs ever. Perfect around kids, and they love you more than food.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️