Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:32 am

Author Topic: Messed up my last sac... is a raw 45 still doable?  (Read 3601 times)  Share 

munchies

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Messed up my last sac... is a raw 45 still doable?
« on: October 28, 2020, 12:20:18 pm »
Hey all,
I'm an avid chem student who is trying to achieve raw 45+. My unit 3 marks have been pre good, and I think i'll be sitting around the top 10 people in my cohort. I've had two sacs for unit 4, the first one I did really well but on the second sac I got the same score as average. I was pre shocked but I was lowkey expecting it because I had the biggest migraine on the day of the sac and blanked out. I am still above average in the cohort but not as high as i want to be. My cohort is probably the strongest in the state, but my unit 4 marks do worry me since i feel like it'll drag down my scores  :( Is raw 45+ still doable or am i doomed...? :( Again, a huge thank you to everyone on this forum!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Messed up my last sac... is a raw 45 still doable?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 12:24:54 pm »
+4
I dont think you are doomed but your sacs may bring down your study score by a couple of points (although this depends on how your cohort go on the exam).

It could be a situation where you might need an exam score equivalent of a 46-47 in order to get a 45 study score.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:27:22 pm by Sine »

munchies

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:29:32 pm »
I dont think you are doomed but if your sacs may bring down your study score by a couple of points (although this depends on how your cohort go on the exam).

It could be a situation where you might need an exam score equivalent of a 46-47 in order to get a 45 study score.

Thanks Sine for the clarification. That's pre good to hear! If I performed well on my exam, would you say my sac scores would also scale up proportionately because VCAA might think my bad sac mark for the last sac could have been an outlier to my other sac scores? Again, thank you heaps!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:33:48 pm »
+4
Thanks Sine for the clarification. That's pre good to hear! If I performed well on my exam, would you say my sac scores would also scale up proportionately because VCAA might think my bad sac mark for the last sac could have been an outlier to my other sac scores? Again, thank you heaps!
Unfortunately, I dont think that would happen. Things like that generally occur when the difference between someones sac score is at least 2 letter grades. E.g. someone has C+ sacs and scores an A+ on the exam.

I think it is a bit of a misconception that a specific student doing well on the exam can drag their sacs up (this is true if you are rank 1). If you are not rank 1 you start relying on how others in your cohort go on the exam to see where you sacs scale to.

munchies

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 12:35:29 pm »
Unfortunately, I dont think that would happen. Things like that generally occur when the difference between someones sac score is at least 2 letter grades. E.g. someone has C+ sacs and scores an A+ on the exam.

I think it is a bit of a misconception that a specific student doing well on the exam can drag their sacs up (this is true if you are rank 1). If you are not rank 1 you start relying on how others in your cohort go on the exam to see where you sacs scale to.

Righto! Thanks for the clarification again. Hopefully everything goes well!!! Really appreciate the help!

Jamie2003

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 08:32:44 pm »
Uhhh yeah.

So I'm only doing chem as a prereq to do bachelor of science but I seriously suck at chem.
Had my first sac and got a 54% when I was expecting much higher. This has really lowered my confidence and I'm panicking.
I went to TSFX for a while but realised that I didn't gain a single thing there as they went through the content really fast and now the stress has gotten worse because I have no tutor (I'm meeting a few but none so far have been helpful).

I'm aiming for the bare minimum study score of 25 but I know its gonna bring down my atar a lot.
Can I get some advice on what to do?? What kind of SS could I get assuming I get 50-60% for the rest of my sacs and exam.

jasheel

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 04:31:09 pm »
+1
Hey!

The final exam is worth 60% so one SAC isn't going to make much of a difference (it might be worth 2-5%, depending on how many SACs your school days)! I would recommend just continuing to try your best on all your SACs and in particular the exam. I didn't perform as well on one of my first SACs and I was fine!

Hope this helps,

Jasheel

ATAR: 99.70
2018 - 2023: Law (Honours) @ Monash.