Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:55 pm

Author Topic: Transferring to Monash for Law  (Read 2747 times)  Share 

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
Transferring to Monash for Law
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:46 am »
+1
Hey everyone,

Has anyone here transferred from studying Law at Deakin/Latrobe/Swinburne to Monash?
My goal is to end up studying Law at Monash and my two options are:

1. Go right into Law/Arts at Deakin, then transfer to Monash Arts/Law after a year

2. Go into Arts at Monash, then transfer to Monash Arts/Law after a year

What would everyone recommend? Feel free to share your own experiences as well.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Transferring to Monash for Law
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 03:17:21 pm »
Hey everyone,

Has anyone here transferred from studying Law at Deakin/Latrobe/Swinburne to Monash?
My goal is to end up studying Law at Monash and my two options are:

1. Go right into Law/Arts at Deakin, then transfer to Monash Arts/Law after a year

2. Go into Arts at Monash, then transfer to Monash Arts/Law after a year

What would everyone recommend? Feel free to share your own experiences as well.
I assume you've already ruled out direct Law at Monash?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

cmati

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »
I assume you've already ruled out direct Law at Monash?

I fell short of the required ATAR for Monash Law with an ATAR in the low 90s :(

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 05:53:17 pm »
+5
I fell short of the required ATAR for Monash Law with an ATAR in the low 90s :(
Congrats on the amazing ATAR still!

If you got approx 92-93 (especially if you have any SEAS on top of that), I’d probably still give the direct Monash Law pathway a shot and leave it at Preference #1, with the Monash Arts or Deakin Law degrees you listed in lower preferences, wherever you want them. (If you received approx 90-91, there’s a low chance but a small possibility still, given the pandemic’s effects/ changes in demand. In that case, still do the same as for 92-93 but, fair warning, don’t be too disappointed if you get your second preference, so make that second preference a good back up.)

If you’re of Indigenous descent, from a low SES area or have experienced financial hardship, you also might be eligible for the Monash Arts/ Commerce/ Science (Law pathway) as a VTAC preference and, if successful, may be able to slide into second year Monash Law in your second year of uni. Info on this pathway is here - from memory, this pathway only started in the previous cohort, so I’m pretty sure should still exist.

As for the transfer question: I haven’t personally had any experience but generally what I hear is internal transfer e.g. Monash Arts —> Monash Law, has a better chance of success than external transfer e.g. Deakin Law (single or double degree) —> Monash Law in general. You also might be able to study a couple of Law units (subjects) as electives in your Arts degree and have the credit transfer process be much easier since it’s units from the same uni, saving you from having to take more units to complete your degree (saving you time and money).

Good luck!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

cmati

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 09:57:05 am »
+2
Congrats on the amazing ATAR still!

If you got approx 92-93 (especially if you have any SEAS on top of that), I’d probably still give the direct Monash Law pathway a shot and leave it at Preference #1, with the Monash Arts or Deakin Law degrees you listed in lower preferences, wherever you want them. (If you received approx 90-91, there’s a low chance but a small possibility still, given the pandemic’s effects/ changes in demand. In that case, still do the same as for 92-93 but, fair warning, don’t be too disappointed if you get your second preference, so make that second preference a good back up.)

If you’re of Indigenous descent, from a low SES area or have experienced financial hardship, you also might be eligible for the Monash Arts/ Commerce/ Science (Law pathway) as a VTAC preference and, if successful, may be able to slide into second year Monash Law in your second year of uni. Info on this pathway is here - from memory, this pathway only started in the previous cohort, so I’m pretty sure should still exist.

As for the transfer question: I haven’t personally had any experience but generally what I hear is internal transfer e.g. Monash Arts —> Monash Law, has a better chance of success than external transfer e.g. Deakin Law (single or double degree) —> Monash Law in general. You also might be able to study a couple of Law units (subjects) as electives in your Arts degree and have the credit transfer process be much easier since it’s units from the same uni, saving you from having to take more units to complete your degree (saving you time and money).

Good luck!

Thank you so much, that is so sweet of you :)

I still have Monash Law as my first preference and like you said, Monash Arts and Deakin Law in my 2nd and 3rd preference.

I hope I will get some SEAS points but I don't think they will get me the 98 selection rank, but I'll hope for the best! And unfortunately I am not eligible for the pathway, but thank you so much for the suggestion.

And I think I will definitely start off in Arts at Monash, you make a really good point :) Thank you so much AngelWings

playfree74

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:38:37 pm »
+1
Thank you so much, that is so sweet of you :)

I still have Monash Law as my first preference and like you said, Monash Arts and Deakin Law in my 2nd and 3rd preference.

I hope I will get some SEAS points but I don't think they will get me the 98 selection rank, but I'll hope for the best! And unfortunately I am not eligible for the pathway, but thank you so much for the suggestion.

And I think I will definitely start off in Arts at Monash, you make a really good point :) Thank you so much AngelWings

Hi, how about your offer? Did you get the direct monash law offer?

cmati

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 09:37:52 am »
+1
Hi, how about your offer? Did you get the direct monash law offer?

Hey there :) Thanks for asking.

And unfortunately not :( I got into Monash Arts though (2nd pref).
Maybe if I'm lucky in the later rounds I'll get an offer, but my ATAR seems to just miss the lowest ATAR offer for the past few years. Its okay, I'm prepared to do Arts for a year :)

I've also been in touch with Monash, apparently last year Monash Law opened up for mid year transfers! It might be happening again this year based on numbers and all that, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Maddyv11

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 07:22:44 pm »
If you're trying to get into Monash Law, and got low 90's try Monash law pathways Arts course. It guarantees you a place in Law / Arts second year if you maintain a 60% WAM - which is very doable.

Also at the moment Monash Law have had mid year applications with only 48 credit points as a pre-req due to the loss of students. I got accepted this year to Laws / Commerce on a 78 WAM.
2018: VCE Completed
2019: Bachelor of Laws (Honours) & Bachelor of Commerce

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 12:59:39 am »
+1
If you're trying to get into Monash Law, and got low 90's try Monash law pathways Arts course. It guarantees you a place in Law / Arts second year if you maintain a 60% WAM - which is very doable.

Also at the moment Monash Law have had mid year applications with only 48 credit points as a pre-req due to the loss of students. I got accepted this year to Laws / Commerce on a 78 WAM.

You can only apply for pathways if you have SEAS for 'home location, low income or identify as an Indigenous Australian'.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

cmati

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 12:33:50 pm »

Hey there,
Unfortunately I don't qualify for the pathways. I will most likely apply for mid year applications :)
Thank you anyway though.

How was the transferring process?