Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:58:54 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277260 times)  Share 

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 27, 2017, 09:32:45 pm »
Hiii! Just wanted to get advice on using essay quotes :)

For an extended response question such as this that include three quotes, and ask you to include one or more in your response:
With specific reference to one or more of the below quotations, explain how ONE significant practice assists individuals and/or the Christian community to live a Christian life
“Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
“And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect.” 1 John 4:17
“For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Matthew 18:20

Do you think it is best to do just two, all three, or just go with what works on the day.
Thanks AN Crew! <3
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #376 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:43 pm »
+1

For an extended response question such as this that include three quotes, and ask you to include one or more in your response:
With specific reference to one or more of the below quotations, explain how ONE significant practice assists individuals and/or the Christian community to live a Christian life
“Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
“For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Matthew 18:20

Do you think it is best to do just two, all three, or just go with what works on the day.
Thanks AN Crew! <3

Hey Snew!! So I think this question is structured to welcome people who do the different practices. The first one I'd argue is targeted at Baptism, for example. So you could potentially just use one that links well with your practice! That said, if you can link them all in a meaningful way on the day, go for it! I think that would be advantageous if you could ;D

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2017, 09:43:15 pm »
+2

Thanks AN Crew! <3

Last year when I did HSC we had an amazing SOR teacher and she recommended to embed words or phrases from all 3 to show skill to the marker, e.g. these 3 phrases could be good to use:

“Anyone who belongs to Christ"
"our love grows more perfect"
"where two or three gather together as my followers"

Hope this helps!

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
« Reply #378 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:01 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for writing essays and long responses in Studies of religion? My teacher always marks me down because my responses are too similar to the way one would response in English, however I don't fully understand how a Studies of Religion essay should be different.  :-\
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #379 on: May 03, 2017, 04:12:27 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for writing essays and long responses in Studies of religion? My teacher always marks me down because my responses are too similar to the way one would response in English, however I don't fully understand how a Studies of Religion essay should be different.  :-\

Hey! You should check this guide on writing a SOR essay! ;D

Further, I'd encourage you to have a flick through our SOR Marking Thread - Have a read of some of the essays, look at the feedback we gave. It will hopefully give you a better idea of what a strong SOR essay looks like! :)

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
« Reply #380 on: May 05, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »
+1
Thanks for your help Jamon, I'll be sure to have a look!  ;D
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

mary123987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2017, 09:10:33 pm »
Hey I was just wondering if any one could give me a hand with Abraham Geiger's contribution to Judaism in regards to development and expression of Judaism. I have an in class essay and am not quite sure what to write and how to incorporate factors such as principal beliefs etc.
Sorry for the trouble.
Thankyou for your time and efforts
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:00:00 am by mary123987 »
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #382 on: May 09, 2017, 10:03:07 pm »
Just me with another 5 marker :D no rush to get it marked or anything, thanks heaps! <3

Assess the importance of Native Title, Mabo and Wik for the Land Rights Movement

Native Title, Mabo and Wik are crucial components of the land rights movement, as they recognised the importance of land to Aboriginal spirituality and continued cultural survival of Indigenous Australians. The 1992 Mabo court case recognised the principal of Native Title, and thus the notion of terra nullius was overturned. Native Title recognised the continuing connection and rights to the land, and this acknowledgment means, for Aboriginal people. reconnection with their cultures and with their Dreaming stories, an essential component of Aboriginal spirituality. Mabo did not give Aborigines rights they did not have before, rather it belatedly recognised rights to ownership of land which Aborigines had possessed for thousands of years before 1788 and an essential component of their spirituality. Wik in 1996 held that a pastoral lease did not always extinguish Native Title, and that in some cases could survive the grant of a lease. However, if there was any conflict between the rights of the pastoralist leaseholder and the Native Title holder, the pastoralists rights would prevail. Both Mabo, Wik and the recognition of Native Title were important in to the land rights movement, the land being the medium through which Aboriginal spirituality could again be reconnected to.
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

FatmataR

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #383 on: May 12, 2017, 09:17:20 am »
Hello, my question is when you're given a question in SOR that asks you to reference a quote, how do you reference it in your essay? Like do you just directly say "as stated in the quote" or "the quote says" or the like, or do you just embed it so it flows ? I'm really quite confused...please help

Question:
“For a follower of Islam, submission to Allah is all”
With reference to the above quote analyse ONE significant practice in Islam for both the individual and the community.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #384 on: May 12, 2017, 09:44:44 am »

Hello, my question is when you're given a question in SOR that asks you to reference a quote, how do you reference it in your essay? Like do you just directly say "as stated in the quote" or "the quote says" or the like, or do you just embed it so it flows ? I'm really quite confused...please help

Question:
“For a follower of Islam, submission to Allah is all”
With reference to the above quote analyse ONE significant practice in Islam for both the individual and the community.

Hi! Both do work, but I think just embedding it so it flows is the much nicer approach. So you'd do things like:

"Thus, Friday Prayer allows adherents to connect more strongly to the belief of Tawhid, further epitomising that 'the submission to Allah is all.'"

Now that was me making up a random sentence while still half asleep, but you get the idea! This just works more nicely in my opinion, a tad more sophisticated than referencing the quote directly, and no less obvious

FatmataR

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:27 am »
Thank you so much for the speedy reply  :) Is it okay if I continue to ask more questions about this? I have an assessment coming up in a few days

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2017, 12:56:37 pm »
Thank you so much for the speedy reply  :) Is it okay if I continue to ask more questions about this? I have an assessment coming up in a few days

Of course! Send them our way and we'll do our best to help :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #387 on: May 12, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »
+1
Just me with another 5 marker :D no rush to get it marked or anything, thanks heaps! <3

All over it ;D

Assess the importance of Native Title, Mabo and Wik for the Land Rights Movement

Native Title, Mabo and Wik are crucial components of the land rights movement, as they recognised the importance of land to Aboriginal spirituality and continued cultural survival of Indigenous Australians. Excellent first sentence - Judgement is immediately apparent and a breakdown of main points is given. The 1992 Mabo court case recognised the principal of Native Title, and thus the notion of terra nullius was overturned. Might be worth explaining terra nullius in more detail, giving the definition perhaps, but that's a nitpick. Native Title recognised the continuing connection and rights to the land, and this acknowledgment means, for Aboriginal people. reconnection with their cultures and with their Dreaming stories, an essential component of Aboriginal spirituality. Try to link it more specifically to the Land Rights movement, not Aboriginal spirituality as a whole. Mabo did not give Aborigines rights they did not have before, rather it belatedly recognised rights to ownership of land which Aborigines had possessed for thousands of years before 1788 and an essential component of their spirituality. Wik in 1996 held that a pastoral lease did not always extinguish Native Title, and that in some cases could survive the grant of a lease. However, if there was any conflict between the rights of the pastoralist leaseholder and the Native Title holder, the pastoralists rights would prevail. This last sentence is probably not necessary without a judgement - You could explore how this is a limit to the importance of the Wik Decision. Both Mabo, Wik and the recognition of Native Title were important in to the land rights movement, the land being the medium through which Aboriginal spirituality could again be reconnected to.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Really solid response Snew!! Covers all the main points I'd expect and makes an obvious assessment, nicely done! I'd give it a 4/5 right now, just barely missing out on that top mark because the links to the Land Rights Movement are a just a touch weak. You mention it in the first sentence, and the last, but nowhere in between. Don't get me wrong, all the pieces are there, but it seems to me like you are jumping straight to spirituality from the decisions, where you should be referring to Land Rights Movement in between!

Oh, and don't forget to talk about the Native Title Act (1993) specifically! Important part of this sort of response ;D

mary123987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #388 on: May 12, 2017, 04:22:20 pm »
Hey I was just wondering if i could get help  with Abraham Geiger's contribution to Judaism in regards to development and expression of Judaism. I have an in class essay and am not quite sure what to write and how to incorporate factors such as principal beliefs etc.
Sorry for the trouble.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:03:39 pm by mary123987 »
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #389 on: May 12, 2017, 08:04:45 pm »
Hey I was just wondering if i could get help  with Abraham Geiger's contribution to Judaism in regards to development and expression of Judaism. I have an in class essay and am not quite sure what to write and how to incorporate factors such as principal beliefs etc.
Sorry for the trouble.

Hey Mary! Unfortunately none of the markers/moderators studied Judaism, so we can't provide any advice directly :( however, I did write a guide on incorporating beliefs into your essays - You can read it here! Hopefully someone can provide more specific advice for your significant person :)