Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:26:27 pm

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 130225 times)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »
Thanks for that I didn't even think of Juno but I'm seeing a lot of great connections ill give it a go!!

Most texts should work, you just pick out the related parts. Obviously be sensible but choosing a related is a flexible area.
Heavy Things :(

yattmoani

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 08:26:49 pm »
Hey! what are your thoughts on using a short film as a discovery related? One of the films i was thinking of doing is called Paperman, a short clip that i found on youtube that seemed like it expresses discovery well. However, im not too sure about how ideas and themes are conveyed and through what techniques.

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:48 pm »
Hey! what are your thoughts on using a short film as a discovery related? One of the films i was thinking of doing is called Paperman, a short clip that i found on youtube that seemed like it expresses discovery well. However, im not too sure about how ideas and themes are conveyed and through what techniques.

You can definitely use a short film. I recall people in my class using Paperman as a related.

Plenty of techniques and works well with Discovery

yattmoani

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation! Would you recommend using a short story instead? As i feel like it is easier to draw upon key concepts from a short story rather than a short film.

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:54 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation! Would you recommend using a short story instead? As i feel like it is easier to draw upon key concepts from a short story rather than a short film.

It really depends from story to story. I personally used The Messenger as my related because I liked it and it works well. Ask your teacher about it but there are loads of texts out there :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:23 pm »

If you find short stories easier I'd go for that! Much to your preference - The other thing to consider is breadth. If you are doing a novel as your prescribed text, doing a film would give you a broader range of techniques, just as an example ;D

socialexperiment

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:56 am »
HEY!
I'm really struggling to find a suitable related text for Go back to where you came from. I have a brief idea as to what I'm going to be talking about but I just can't find a great ORT. My thesis is "Discoveries are transformative, however ultimately it is the individual’s willingness to discourse on the multi-facetted nature of discovery, which permeates renewed perception of their surroundings." Any help would be amazing!
Thankyou! :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2017, 02:03:35 pm »
+1
EDIT: I did not realise what I was quoting was 3 weeks old, it is only the message before mine that was posted recently. I understand if you don't take it on board or realise and sorry for any inconvenience caused :D

Picture books were my favourite in the HSC as they had minimal but powerful text/quotes to remember and a great combination of literary and visual devices to help aid my response. At the end of the day though, it comes down to personal preference. Where do your strengths lie? Visual or literal techniques? Personally I was one for literary techniques rather than visual but it is what you think is better.

The HSC is a game. You just have to know how to play it and the way to play it is to use your strengths. 

Paperman is a great related text, if not a tad overused. I didn't use this but know lots that did; they found ideas/themes/techniques/meaning of life when they watched it quite easily.

If you are into picture books - The Rabbits by John Marsden and Shaun Tan is awesome and overflowing with juicy discovery goodness ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:06:05 pm by studybuddy7777 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2017, 03:23:33 pm »
HEY!
I'm really struggling to find a suitable related text for Go back to where you came from. I have a brief idea as to what I'm going to be talking about but I just can't find a great ORT. My thesis is "Discoveries are transformative, however ultimately it is the individual’s willingness to discourse on the multi-facetted nature of discovery, which permeates renewed perception of their surroundings." Any help would be amazing!
Thankyou! :)

hey there! I studied this prescribed text and I chose Tim Winton's Distant Lands in his anthology Minimum of Two. Another short story that would work is Neighbours by Tim Winton, in his anthology Scission. My AOS essay is available for free download in the "notes" tab, so you can see how I analysed it :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

olr1999

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Trinity Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2017, 04:23:50 pm »
Hi!
How many related texts would you recommend we prepare for discovery?
I have one novel as a related so far (yet it applies to every part of the rubric) called 'The Book of Seculation' by Erika Swyler.
Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:27 pm »
Hi!
How many related texts would you recommend we prepare for discovery?
I have one novel as a related so far (yet it applies to every part of the rubric) called 'The Book of Seculation' by Erika Swyler.
Thanks!

Hey there :) I only prepared one. I felt confident that I would be able to adapt it to various sections of the rubric. Also, studying just one meant that I could commit to realllllly learning this one in detail, instead of spreading my study time across texts. If you think your current related text isn't going to be strong enough, that's when I'd pick up another one (that probably isn't as long as a novel) in order to give yourself the best chances of success in the exam! But I would be a hypocrite if I told you to study more than one!

DonQ

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:03 pm »
If they do happen to ask for two related in discovery, and you use one from the unseen text, what kind of depth would you need to go into?
For example, could you use similar analysis and quotes to the unseen section

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2017, 11:34:58 am »
+1
If they do happen to ask for two related in discovery, and you use one from the unseen text, what kind of depth would you need to go into?
For example, could you use similar analysis and quotes to the unseen section
The person who marks your unseen texts will not be the same person who marks your essay - so reusing analysis is completely fine! If they were to ask for two related texts and you only had one prepared, and you were relying on an unseen text to pull you through, I think it's completely fine to spend about 20% of your analysis, to 25%, on the unseen text. Because if your prescribed text makes 50%, then your two related will make up the other 50% together. Obviously this can change, to perhaps 40% prescribed, then 30% for each related...it depends on what you feel most comfortable with in the exam and looking specifically at your essay question :)

Mymy409

• Trailblazer
  • "Stars can't shine without darkness."
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2017, 09:21:17 pm »
Hi! Would you advise against using a 'common' related text such as Lord of the Flies? I know it's in the list and all, but I've heard that related texts that are well known and commonly studied in English should NOT be used because a lot of people use them and teachers get bored of reading the same thing over and over.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
Hi! Would you advise against using a 'common' related text such as Lord of the Flies? I know it's in the list and all, but I've heard that related texts that are well known and commonly studied in English should NOT be used because a lot of people use them and teachers get bored of reading the same thing over and over.

Hey! This is a common misconception - Using a 'common' related text puts you at no immediate disadvantage, just avoid picking it purely because it is common, it has to be something you can analyse and that works with your text! While markers might get sick of the same text done poorly, there is no issue if you do it well!