Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:25:01 pm

Author Topic: Business Information Systems  (Read 12007 times)  Share 

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
Re: Business Information Systems
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »
If you didn't apply for it this year but are interested in the program, you should apply for the BBIS course through VTAC. You will then enter the course in the coursework stream.

At the end of your first year, contingent on maintaining a credit average, you can then apply to join the IBL stream from 2nd year onwards. This will mean that you do miss out on the inital $6000 given to the IBL first years, but you will receive the $30,000 balance of the scholarship.

A fair majority of graduates enter structured graduate programs at the Big 4, banks or other professional services firms; but where you end up going is, of course, up to you. These programs tend to lead onto jobs as consultants, project officers/managers or business/system analysts.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

flame

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »
I too have applied for the IBL scholarship, and have my interview tomorrow @ 11.30 :o

Any last minute tips? Do I need to freak out trying to get my answers sorted, or just take it as it comes? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to form some responses to obvious questions such as "Why do you want to be a part of the IBL program?".

Any hints at the questions asked? Reading this thread has definitely boosted my confidence (hearing about the high acceptance rate for instance!) but I'm still a bit unsure..what on earth do you do for more than an hour with a group of other applicants?!

Will be interesting nevertheless, but I'd just appreciate some last-minute tips - what not to do, what to wear etc.

Cheers :)

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 02:50:35 pm »
I didn't realise there was this many on here going for an interview! Mine is at 8.45am! Good luck everyone.

I too have applied for the IBL scholarship, and have my interview tomorrow @ 11.30

Any last minute tips? Do I need to freak out trying to get my answers sorted, or just take it as it comes? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to form some responses to obvious questions such as "Why do you want to be a part of the IBL program?".

Any hints at the questions asked? Reading this thread has definitely boosted my confidence (hearing about the high acceptance rate for instance!) but I'm still a bit unsure..what on earth do you do for more than an hour with a group of other applicants?!

Will be interesting nevertheless, but I'd just appreciate some last-minute tips - what not to do, what to wear etc.

Cheers

I think the questions will be the basic; 'what are your main interests', 'why do you want to be part of this program...'.. The one-on-one interview is only short so I don't think they will ask broad-style questions as such. Anyway, hopefully excalibur can answer your question.

I haven't really "prepared" any answers - but I have a few things i'd like to say for specific questions. The main thing is just to be yourself!

BTW - Would the IBL partners know our ENTER scores?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:55:52 pm by jsimmo »
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 03:00:09 pm »
I didn't realise there was this many on here going for an interview! Mine is at 8.45am! Good luck everyone.

I too have applied for the IBL scholarship, and have my interview tomorrow @ 11.30

Cheers

I think the questions will be the basic; 'what are your main interests', 'why do you want to be part of this program...'.. The one-on-one interview is only short so I don't think they will ask broad-style questions as such. Anyway, hopefully excalibur can answer your question.

I haven't really "prepared" any answers - but I have a few things i'd like to say for specific questions. The main thing is just to be yourself!

BTW - Would the IBL partners know our ENTER scores?

They will ask for it during your one-on-one.

I too have applied for the IBL scholarship, and have my interview tomorrow @ 11.30 :o

Cheers :)

It's hard to gauge what kinds of questions they will ask in the one-on-one, but you can count on getting the 'why do you want to do this?'-type questions.

As for the group stuff, you'll find yourself doing team-based exercises (the same kind as you'll find in graduate testing) which will probably involve a team presentation in front of the candidate group. I'm guessing that they'll get you to do the 'you're on the moon and your spaceship has crashed / your ship sunk and you have a life raft [pick the top 15 things you'd take with you]' activity.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

droodles

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 05:29:38 pm »
I know the dress type is 'business' for tomorrow, but is anyone going to play the suit card?

I really am thinking about just going with a black pants/white shirt/nice tie but then again the outfit could have an effect on whether or not you will be considered. Not sure.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 05:33:51 pm »
I know the dress type is 'business' for tomorrow, but is anyone going to play the suit card?

I really am thinking about just going with a black pants/white shirt/nice tie but then again the outfit could have an effect on whether or not you will be considered. Not sure.

Business dress = suit jacket, slacks and a tie.

First impressions do make a difference. I suggest you dress to impress.
Former Global Moderator

droodles

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 05:35:09 pm »
SWEET AS

Kairubin

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 07:10:56 pm »

I'm def going for the suit card. Apparently you will feel really out of place if you go for anything less!

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:08 pm »
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
Go get some sleep guys.

Best of luck for tomorrow! I look forward to seeing all the YAY I GOT AN IBL OFFER threads tomorrow :)
Former Global Moderator

Simonnn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:35 pm »
Hey guys! didn't realise there were so many of you there today, who was who? LOL the only names i remember are Calvin (Kalvin?), Kingsley and Xi.

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 03:56:51 pm »
What did you have to do today?

Simonnn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 04:15:51 pm »
The day started at 8:45am, with my one on one interview scheduled for 11:00am. Finished at roughly 12:30pm after a presentation that started at ~11:45am

Group Activities: "You had a plane crash, what items would you keep for yourself" (as someone pointed out before) and "where would you like to be in 5 years?" - make a poster and present

Interview: Really short interview with one of the business partners, just general questions about what subjects you found easy/hard, where you see yourself in 5 years.. that kinda stuff.

flame

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 04:18:58 pm »
Hey. I had the afternoon session, so didn't know many of the morning people..I was Sebastian.

Goddam. Group activities were alright, but 1-on-1 was kinda gay. I had Fleur (no complaining there :P) and got asked some questions I just wasn't ready for..such as a tough period of time I've experienced where I've had to build a bridge to get past it or some crap!

Argh. I'm pretty sure I answered everything..just not very well :(

Didn't leave feeling very confident. Guess I just need to wait until tomorrow...

P.S. Damn girls and their 100% guarantee of getting in :P

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 04:21:24 pm »
do girls have a 100% guarantee of getting in?? how come?