Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:40:59 am

Author Topic: What subject should i drop?  (Read 1232 times)

salma.hijazi1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
What subject should i drop?
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:31:39 pm »
Hey guys! I'm just about in the middle of my HSC year and I'm doing 12 units, and I really need more time so I want to drop one of my two unit courses. My subjects are:

Advanced English
Standard Maths
Biology
Ancient History
PDHPE
Food Tech

I'm tossing up between Ancient History (because there's a lot of content and I'm getting a raw mark of 80) and PDHPE (bad scaling but I'm getting a 95 average), though I do enjoy Ancient more. Any help would be great!

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: What subject should i drop?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »
+1
Hi Salma!

Personally, I think it would depend on what subject you prefer more. It would be more beneficial to you, your wellbeing and your studies to pursue a subject that you enjoy, rather than a subject that you're doing for the sake of doing. If you're deciding between a subject that you enjoy (Ancient) and PDHPE (another subject that you may or may not enjoy), I would recommend doing Ancient over PDHPE. Yes you would be doing more content than PDHPE, but you would enjoy it more :)

Hope that helps :)

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 03:19:10 pm »
+4
Hey guys! I'm just about in the middle of my HSC year and I'm doing 12 units, and I really need more time so I want to drop one of my two unit courses. My subjects are:

Advanced English
Standard Maths
Biology
Ancient History
PDHPE
Food Tech

I'm tossing up between Ancient History (because there's a lot of content and I'm getting a raw mark of 80) and PDHPE (bad scaling but I'm getting a 95 average), though I do enjoy Ancient more. Any help would be great!

Hey, salma.hijazi1!

Welcome to the forums! I think it comes down to how you weigh up each subject with one other to decide which would be better for your study long term. Firstly, PDHPE doesn't actually have bad scaling so I thought I'd clarify that myth. Scaling involves a number of factors, including your ranks, HSC results, your school cohort's performance and where you sit in the state cohort's overall performance. It's way more nuanced than that so if you're sitting a 95 for PDHPE, that's a fantastic thing  :) On that note, I will also add that your internal marks are not what get processed to NESA but your rank so if you're ranking better in one subject over the other (and think this will remain the case), that's equally something to consider. Another thing is your career paths for the future. Will Ancient or PDHPE prove useful in some way for them? If neither of them do, which one do you think will provide at least the skills that can be transferrable to your potential direction in life? You don't have to settle on a pathway; just think about which one might be helpful in your prospects.

Beyond these logistics, Darcy's beaten me to it already but I'll reinforce that keeping the subject you enjoy more will be better since it will motivate you more long term to work harder for it. The HSC is definitely all about sustaining your efforts and having a passion for the subject will push you through major challenges that you might encounter during it. Look ahead to see what topics you'll be covering in both and see which one you think will be more rewarding :D Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:51:09 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:44:30 pm »
Hi again :)

Adding to Angelina's point, I am a QCE student, not an HSC student so my opinion may be a bit biased as I, unfortunately, do not know the scaling of individual HSC subjects but in short, the three main thoughts to have while deciding which subject to drop are: enjoyment, whether you prefer to work with more or less content and scaling but of course, go with what your heart desires! My personal opinion or anyone else's should not dictate what subject you choose to do, so please don't feel pressured to do a certain subject because someone says so. Choose what feels right for you and listen to your heart (yes, it's cheesy and cliché, I know).

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

salma.hijazi1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 06:33:22 pm »
Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

salma.hijazi1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 06:36:56 pm »
+1
I think im going to keep PDHPE though, as I'm doing the best at it out of all my subjects and because I currently don't have a permanent teacher for Ancient.