Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:36:47 am

Author Topic: Textbooks  (Read 495 times)  Share 

EOZZ

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Textbooks
« on: February 28, 2019, 05:40:12 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering whether or not to buy physical copies of my textbooks or just the ebook. Which do you prefer and why?
I'm unsure of whether to spend the extra money to purchase the physical copy of my textbooks or to just stick with the ebook.
In some classes is it easier to have the physical copy? Or does it really not matter?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Textbooks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:50:32 pm »
+1
Hi,
I was wondering whether or not to buy physical copies of my textbooks or just the ebook. Which do you prefer and why?
I'm unsure of whether to spend the extra money to purchase the physical copy of my textbooks or to just stick with the ebook.
In some classes is it easier to have the physical copy? Or does it really not matter?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks

If the textbook is actually needed I always prefer to have a physical copy, for me it's just much easier to use and read and you also have the luxury to easily add-on anything by means of annotations.

Unless you have already had an introduction lecture during o-week and your unit coordinator has said you need to get the textbook (e.g. needed for assessments, content not covered in the lectures which will be assessed) I would wait until the first week of uni to see whether it is actually required.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Textbooks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:33:51 pm »
+1
Another option is to borrow the book when you need it; for 3 of my units I had prescribed textbooks, and for 1 of those I had to reference the book in some assignments but I didn't buy a single book, instead choosing to borrow ahead of time when needed. 

If you want a physical book and want to save money you could choose to buy a second hand one or potentially even share with a classmate.

Sometimes classes will allow you to bring the textbook in to help with an assessed task (rare in my experience),  so that could also be something to consider.