Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:18 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847452 times)  Share 

TheAspiringDoc

Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #330 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:45 pm »

Read.
Read read read read read read read.

There's not much need to read VCE-level essays really, though I suppose you could peruse some Language Analysis or Text Response essays if you really wanted to. Those tend to be rather dry reading though (unless you're an oddball like me.)

What'll really help is reading. Novels of any genre, non-fiction texts on any subject matter - just go for whatever you're interested in. I owe at least half of my study score to the contents of my bookshelves.

The best thing you could do for yourself at this stage is to set yourself up with a solid intuition of grammar and sentence composition. Unfortunately, if you try and learn this deliberately, you'll likely just end up confused. Actually "learning" grammar is kind of counter-intuitive; most people are better off picking up on it subconsciously when they take in new information. So as great as it would be if you found a few authors or genres you really enjoy, the more you expose yourself to, the more chances you'll uncover something that will (implicitly) help you later down the line.

If you're really desperate, perhaps suggest a few areas of interest and I might be able to recommend something you like?
Anything with an element of uncertainty/mystery or any kind of book that forces you to think, whether it be about the plot or looking at real life society as a whole. I like things related to science but I'm guessing like most people there is a limited amount of pleasure I can draw from pages of chemical formulas and drawn out equations. I autobiographies of doctors in particular and I find adventure fiction pretty neat.
Sorry, that's probably quite a list to take in  ::)
Thanks!!  :D
Spoiler
PS #1 fan

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2015, 08:01:10 pm »
+2
 • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
 • The Queen of Spades by Alexander Pushkin
 • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
 • The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley
 • The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
 • Dangerous Book of Heroes (edited by the Iggulton brothers I think... basically a collection of really cool stories from different 'heroes' throughout history)
 • Awakenings by Oliver Sacks
 • The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
 • The House of God by Samuel Shem
 • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
 • Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande
 • How Doctors Think by Dr. Jerome Groopman
 • Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
 •The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine Madness, and Murder by Charles Graeber
 • Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sherri Fink
 • Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans by Harriet A. Washington
 • And The Band Played On by Randy Shilts

These are just my suggestions from the couple of shelves/piles I have in my eyeline :p Honestly, just wondering around some bookstores when you have the chance should net you a couple of good options. Perhaps google some of the above and see what takes your fancy (fishpond or TheBookDepository are good sites that do free shipping if you want to order some of them.) Otherwise your local library should have some interesting stuff. There's also a really good place at Fed Square every Saturday at about 10/11:00 onwards where vendors come and sell their wares. There's usually a lot to chose from, and I've never walked away empty handed.. though admittedly I do have a slight impulse-control problem when it comes to buying books... Anyway, it's held in 'The Atrium' in Fed Square, near the indoor entrance to the Art Gallery.Alternatively, if you want East from the station along Flinders St. then you should find it :)

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2015, 06:29:33 pm »
what form for context (ie feature article, etc) would be most similar to an essay style expository piece (basically the sample ones on the AN guide or Connect Education guide if seen those)? cause right now all i can write really is a generic expository essay style piece, but this would obviously have no purpose, so i was thinking which would be most similar and easiest to adapt from this essay form.
thanks.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2015, 06:43:55 pm »
WIth language analysis, is it okay if we refer to certain devices with more specificity?

For example:

The writer's use of metaphorical imagery causes..

Is it okay to refer to certain devices with verbs?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #334 on: May 10, 2015, 10:49:12 am »
+1
what form for context (ie feature article, etc) would be most similar to an essay style expository piece (basically the sample ones on the AN guide or Connect Education guide if seen those)? cause right now all i can write really is a generic expository essay style piece, but this would obviously have no purpose, so i was thinking which would be most similar and easiest to adapt from this essay form.
thanks.

Probably a feature article, though you could also write an essay with a purpose (eg. an essay competition where the topic is 'how to prevent the conflict of climate change' or 'what do our actions towards asylum seekers say about our Australian identity?'/ whatever your Context may be.)

Purpose is more important for the SAC than the exam though, so it might be worth experimenting with some different forms and seeing what your teacher thinks suits you.

WIth language analysis, is it okay if we refer to certain devices with more specificity?

For example:

The writer's use of metaphorical imagery causes..

Is it okay to refer to certain devices with verbs?
Actually, I'd be even more specific than that! What kind of 'metaphorical imagery' is the writer using? What metaphor is being called upon? Just labeling something 'metaphorical imagery' doesn't tell us much.
And you can absolutely comment on verbs or other speech forms (eg. 'the author's repeated use of verbs like 'planning' 'thinking' and 'believing' further strengthen his call to action...') Specificity is key, so you should definitely try to zoom into the actual language behind the technique as much as possible (within reason) :)

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2015, 11:31:44 am »
HELP
I need external ideas for the prompt "Anything is justifiable in conflict"
I need to do an oral presentation on this soon
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2015, 11:53:54 am »
Thanks Lauren!

Also what if I can pick up a technique, and I think, for example, it's sarcasm being used to draw attention on how ridiculous something is, what if the examiner/marker does not agree with me or does not think that's the reason of the use of sarcasm in that context?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »
+2
HELP
I need external ideas for the prompt "Anything is justifiable in conflict"
I need to do an oral presentation on this soon

Your external ideas can come from anywhere, so there's not much point in me listing random things. Perhaps suggest some areas of interest/recommendations from your teacher to get yourself started.

Or, if you'd rather develop this yourself, first focus on your contention. Are you suggesting that 'yes, for the most part, anything is justifiable in conflict' or 'no, even if conflict is present, we can't say anything is justified'? Once you've got a general outline, ask yourself 'how do I know?' Why do I think this?
When you have these values in your head, it makes sense that they've come from somewhere, right? So when you argue something like 'conflict can have negative effects on people,' you're inclined to draw from what you know, and start sorting through your brain for examples of people suffering negative consequences. These may not be the only or exact examples you end up using, but at least it gives you a starting point.

Some questions to ask yourself that might help formulate ideas:
 - Do people have different ideas or what is and isn't justifiable?
 - Who does the 'justifying?'
 - Does conflict make things justifiable, or do we grant people more leniency in times of conflict?
 - Is it possible for certain things to be morally/ethically justifiable, but not legally justifiable (or vice versa?)
 - Does the fact that 'anytihng is justifiable' mean we are entitled to do anything?
 - Are things dependent on their context, or can we say, as a general rule: this is justifiable but this is not - regardless of the circumstances?

Thanks Lauren!

Also what if I can pick up a technique, and I think, for example, it's sarcasm being used to draw attention on how ridiculous something is, what if the examiner/marker does not agree with me or does not think that's the reason of the use of sarcasm in that context?
If you've argued your point effectively, then it's rare for the assessors to take marks off for disagreeing. Of course, this understanding will be strengthened throughout the year, and it'll get to a stage where you know saying something like 'therefore the author attacks other people to make them more sympathetic' is probably unlikely.

Unlike the other essays, L.A. doesn't leave much room for error. You'd have to be saying something pretty out-there for an assessor to disagree with your analysis. Worst case scenario, if you're not entirely sure about the effect of something, you could use a word like 'may' or 'perhaps' (eg. 'here, the author makes use of sarcasm; perhaps in an attempt to draw the audience's attention to the ridiculous nature of the situation') but this should be done sparingly, as it can make you seem uncertain about your interpretation.

I guess my recommendation would be to practice writing on different articles until you're no longer at risk of making comprehension errors of misconceptions :)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2015, 12:58:46 pm »
Thanks Lauren, again :P

Where can I get good/interesting (non-pointless) articles where I can read them and annotate so that I can be quick at it!? :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2015, 01:14:27 pm »
+1
Thanks Lauren, again :P

Where can I get good/interesting (non-pointless) articles where I can read them and annotate so that I can be quick at it!? :)

It depends what you're wanting to practice.

If you need to get better at comprehending contentions and just understanding the author's arguments, then going for shorter texts will be more efficient. The comments section in The Australian (underneath the cartoon, next to the editorials; not the really short/twitter comments on the far right, but the centre of the page that contains Letters to the Editor and other bits and pieces) is quite good for this.

On the other hand, if you need to practice picking out techniques, then you could go for the longer editorials, or perhaps even online magazine articles. Generally though, for the SACs you should seek materials from your teachers (especially SACs from past year levels) and beyond that, for exam practice, you should just use official practice exams.

There's no shortage of company papers (CSE, Insight, Neap, VATE <-- esp. this one) that are really good for practice purposes, or you could even go through the past VCAA exams and see how you fare.

With regards to annotations, it's not all about being quick, though. You kind of need to develop a plan of attack for how you'll approach the task under timed conditions. Are you going to go through the whole article and highlight every single persuasive device you find? How are you going to structure your essay? Will you write whole words/sentences in your annotations so you can refer back to them, or will  you just write really brief reminders to yourself so as to devote as much time to the essay as possible? Often the people who do extensive annotations aren't actually being as efficient as they could. As a practice exercise, doing heaps of annotations can help you get used to recognising what you need to analyse, but be smart about the process. Don't just annotate for the sake of doing so - work out what's most helpful to you and take things from there :)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2015, 01:23:15 pm »
It depends what you're wanting to practice.

If you need to get better at comprehending contentions and just understanding the author's arguments, then going for shorter texts will be more efficient. The comments section in The Australian (underneath the cartoon, next to the editorials; not the really short/twitter comments on the far right, but the centre of the page that contains Letters to the Editor and other bits and pieces) is quite good for this.

On the other hand, if you need to practice picking out techniques, then you could go for the longer editorials, or perhaps even online magazine articles. Generally though, for the SACs you should seek materials from your teachers (especially SACs from past year levels) and beyond that, for exam practice, you should just use official practice exams.

There's no shortage of company papers (CSE, Insight, Neap, VATE <-- esp. this one) that are really good for practice purposes, or you could even go through the past VCAA exams and see how you fare.

With regards to annotations, it's not all about being quick, though. You kind of need to develop a plan of attack for how you'll approach the task under timed conditions. Are you going to go through the whole article and highlight every single persuasive device you find? How are you going to structure your essay? Will you write whole words/sentences in your annotations so you can refer back to them, or will  you just write really brief reminders to yourself so as to devote as much time to the essay as possible? Often the people who do extensive annotations aren't actually being as efficient as they could. As a practice exercise, doing heaps of annotations can help you get used to recognising what you need to analyse, but be smart about the process. Don't just annotate for the sake of doing so - work out what's most helpful to you and take things from there :)

Thanks Lauren, again!

What would you recommend for a beginner? Short or long ones? :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2015, 01:42:04 pm »
+1
Thanks Lauren, again!

What would you recommend for a beginner? Short or long ones? :)

Probably best to start with short ones and work your way up.

Alternatively, the 2008 VCAA exam is an excellent starting point, and it'd be considered fairly short by current exam standards, so maybe check that one out :)

tiff_tiff

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »
hey lauren,

I'm reading this article:
and i'm not quite sure what the author is trying to say about the 'artificial haemoglobin' in comparison to the new stem cel ideology.
I get that the article is trying to lead readers more into the stem cell version, because they say its the 'new idea', but they didn't really say what's wrong with the 'artificial haemoglobin' version. is it just presented there for the author to seem like she knows her science?

and also, they didn't mention anything about Douay's earlier process?

[i bolded the relevant part]

Could Stem Cells Breathe New Life into the Field of Blood Substitution?
Immature cells' regenerative prowess injects new excitement into the field March 17, 2014 |By Dina Fine Maron

More than a century after scientists embarked on the quest to find an alternative to the blood coursing through our veins, the dream still will not die. Not after a major study dealt a seemingly fatal blow to the field—determining that the top synthetic blood candidates at the time were all more likely to kill you than to save your life. Not after billions of dollars in public and private investments dried up. And not after multiple companies ran aground.
Starting in 2011, however, the moribund field received yet another revival, this time from a group of French researchers with a new approach to boosting blood supplies. Their principal insight: don’t try to re-create millions of years of evolution. Instead, they proposed to piggyback off of what nature already made by coaxing stem cells into taking on the job.
The appeal of creating blood alternatives is obvious. Certainly after a battlefield trauma or a car accident a ready transfusion of artificial blood that could theoretically work with any blood type and not require refrigeration would be a welcome medical tool. A synthetic product outlasting the typical 42-day shelf life of red blood cells and sidestepping even the miniscule risk of transmitting a blood-borne disease would also be high on the medical wish list. But such a product has not yet been created and proved safe in humans.
It’s not for lack of trying. Although blood cells serve multiple roles in the body and have complex interactions with other cellular materials, most synthetic blood products have aimed to just stick to the bare basics—shuttling oxygen from the lungs to different vital organs and then bringing carbon dioxide back to the lungs to be exhaled. When the red cell count gets low, bodily organs may not get the oxygen they need, making a person weak and eventually resulting in serious health problems. The most popular approach taken to replicate that function has been to create artificial hemoglobin- based oxygen carriers, tapping proteins in red blood cells called hemoglobin that act as oxygen’s transport service, and chemically modifying them to increase oxygen-carrying capacity.
But the new idea is to get the body to grow its own substitute—a product that would not be the same as whole blood but could fit the bill in a pinch.

A Paris-based research group, headed up by Luc Douay, professor of hematology at University Pierre and Marie Curie Faculty of Medicine, has already had some success. They culled stemlike cells from blood circulating through a patient’s body and manipulated them into becoming red blood cells nearly identical to those that normally transport oxygen in the body. The team injected two milliliters of the stem-cell derived blood cells back into the patient—an amount far smaller than would be needed in a typical transfusion. The creations had stored well at refrigerated temperatures and circulated in the body with survival time on par with that of original red cells.
It’s an encouraging step forward for a field littered with odd and sometimes cringe-worthy efforts to get at the lifesaving power of blood. Animal to human blood transfusions received a short-lived audition in 1667. But the first human-to- human blood transfusion was not performed until 1818—before we learned about blood types and how and when the body rejects certain transfusions. Blood-product research also included attempts in the late 1800s to hook up ailing patients to infusions of fresh cow’s milk. Milk, like blood, had fats that emulsify in fluid, the reasoning went. Plus, milk would be safer than blood because it would not clot. When patients died, physicians figured it was due to other complications. Needless to say, milk injections, like those from animal blood, never really took off.
Although most people only get transfusions once or twice in their lives (if at all), individuals with conditions like sickle- cell anemia require consistent blood transfusions of red cells. But with each infusion there’s a small risk that the body could develop an infection, reject the foreign blood or form antibodies that will lead to the body rejecting and destroying certain bloods in the future. A key threat, however, is that each transfusion contributes to the risk of iron overload in the body. All red blood cells contain iron, but after the body takes what it needs it has no easy way to dispose of the excess. It gets stored, instead, in organs including the heart, liver and pancreas. That buildup of increased iron with each transfusion can damage the organs and eventually prove fatal.
10004 Article 4
The French researchers hope that using freshly created blood cells made from stem cells could help alleviate those iron buildup concerns. “We think it could be transfused at least three to five times less each year because of the efficiency of the transfusion,” Douay says.
The secret lies in the age of the red blood cells derived from stem cells. Although red cells from donors have a typical shelf life of 42 days, they are a mix of older and newer cells, which means a number of them may not last long in the body. With stem cell–derived options all of the blood product would be new, which could theoretically give patients more bang for each infusion. The only thing that would appear different to a patient receiving the transfusions, ideally, is that he would be receiving them less often. “If you have brand-new cells, you should be able to increase the intervals between transfusions so you can make it longer, says David Anstee, director of the International Blood Group Reference Laboratory in England. “You might be able to improve the quality of life in those situations.” It’s not a perfect fix because it would likely add months, not years, between transfusions, but it could be a start.
Moreover, the idea of using Douay’s earlier process, which involved growing the cells in culture, at a larger scale would be “delusional,” he says. To make just one unit of blood—roughly a pint—it would require growing cells in about 400 flasks that were about 30 centimeters by 20 centimeters, he says. But even with endless space for those flasks it would still be impossible because the constant pH and temperature controls that would be needed would be impossible to maintain. What would be needed, he says, is an automated, stirred large-scale bioreactor (something his team hopes to one day produce themselves). “Even something as seemingly simple as red blood cells that don’t have a nucleus evolved a structure and a function that is much more complicated than we can perceive by looking under the microscope,” says Jason Acker, associate director of development for Canadian Blood Services..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:22:26 pm by tiff_tiff »

KingDrogba

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Marcellin
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #343 on: May 11, 2015, 09:23:39 pm »
How should you break down a text response prompt and then answer it?
What structure should i be looking as a guideline to my writing?
2014: Text and Traditions 39
2015: Chemistry, Methods, Biology, English and History:Revolutions

I just want a 40 in Chemistry so i can run down my street naked, is that too much to ask?

InNeedForHelp

« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2015, 10:37:01 pm »
Hi Lauren,

Regarding shortening quotes, my teacher says to shorten them to 5 or 6 words but I'm finding it hard to shorten quotes from "Maus". I find that if I try to shorten them, I lose the a lot of the significant of the quote so it doesn't prove the point I'm trying to make.

Also, for remembering quotes, should I write the quotes under categories of themes or categories of what the character says?

Thanks