Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:21:57 am

Author Topic: Script resources + advice  (Read 5448 times)  Share 

terushi

• Fresh Poster
  • trying very hard
  • Respect: 0
Script resources + advice
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:42:56 pm »
Hi! I'm doing a short film script for my major and cannot find any scripts that have been written for Ext 2 (apart from the 2002 exemplar script from the ARC) . Is there anywhere that I can find script resources such as scripts written for the course and scriptwriting books (would help if specifically for HSC)? Does anyone have past scripts they are willing to upload?

Also: to what calibre do our short film ideas have to be? I'm worried my story isn't original/sophisticated enough and doesn't use an abstract-enough idea  :(

Thanks!
(2018) SOR 1
(2019) EE2 - ADV. MATHS - PHYS - MUS 1

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: Script resources + advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:24:54 pm »
+3
Hi! I'm doing a short film script for my major and cannot find any scripts that have been written for Ext 2 (apart from the 2002 exemplar script from the ARC) . Is there anywhere that I can find script resources such as scripts written for the course and scriptwriting books (would help if specifically for HSC)? Does anyone have past scripts they are willing to upload?

Also: to what calibre do our short film ideas have to be? I'm worried my story isn't original/sophisticated enough and doesn't use an abstract-enough idea  :(

Thanks!

Hi terushi!
Welcome to forums! When looking at script examples for extension 2, you have to remember that writing a script and handing it in as a major work is also possible - so the scripts you would be looking at would probably be those. I haven't seen any scriptwriting books specifically for the HSC, but you can see short film scripts online, I believe there are also templates and "How tos" if you just search them up on google. http://www.australianshortfilms.com/scripts.html - this website has scripts available to download, so you could check those out as examples. Most short films run 8-10 minutes so they would be in your time range.

In regard to the calibre of short film ideas - I believe the standard for the concept is a benchmark placed on all major works, and we are prompted to do something original and sophisticated but my teacher has told us to be more contemporary than abstract as the markers are biased. A really nice short film that I think demonstrates the standard for short film major works is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S26BghMdn8 - definitely check that out and others that are on youtube because I think they are all great examples.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

terushi

• Fresh Poster
  • trying very hard
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 12:54:13 pm »
+1
Hi terushi!
Welcome to forums! When looking at script examples for extension 2, you have to remember that writing a script and handing it in as a major work is also possible - so the scripts you would be looking at would probably be those. I haven't seen any scriptwriting books specifically for the HSC, but you can see short film scripts online, I believe there are also templates and "How tos" if you just search them up on google. http://www.australianshortfilms.com/scripts.html - this website has scripts available to download, so you could check those out as examples. Most short films run 8-10 minutes so they would be in your time range.

In regard to the calibre of short film ideas - I believe the standard for the concept is a benchmark placed on all major works, and we are prompted to do something original and sophisticated but my teacher has told us to be more contemporary than abstract as the markers are biased. A really nice short film that I think demonstrates the standard for short film major works is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S26BghMdn8 - definitely check that out and others that are on youtube because I think they are all great examples.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
meerae :)

Hi! Thank you so much for the help! That Australian Short Films website is super helpful ;D
(2018) SOR 1

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 03:06:43 pm »
+1

Thanks!

Hello!

I wrote a guide on how to write a script right here as I am a film student myself! I wrote the guide for HSC Drama but hopefully it will also be useful for your EE2 major.

I would recommend reading a book called 'Story' by Robert McKee. It has useful tips on how to develop story and characters.

I am happy to send over a copy of my script that got a HD :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

terushi

• Fresh Poster
  • trying very hard
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:38:03 pm »
+2
Hello!

I wrote a guide on how to write a script right here as I am a film student myself! I wrote the guide for HSC Drama but hopefully it will also be useful for your EE2 major.

I would recommend reading a book called 'Story' by Robert McKee. It has useful tips on how to develop story and characters.

I am happy to send over a copy of my script that got a HD :)

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! Your guide was concise and super helpful :)

And what an offer! I would appreciate it immensely if you could send your script over. Thank you so much for that!
(2018) SOR 1

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 07:29:37 pm »
+1
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! Your guide was concise and super helpful :)

And what an offer! I would appreciate it immensely if you could send your script over. Thank you so much for that!

No worries! Glad I was able to help :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.