Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:53 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 182237 times)

nabeela

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
Re: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #390 on: September 25, 2017, 02:44:45 pm »
Great to have you here, nabeela! :)

Are you in Year 12 at the moment?

Yes, I am!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #391 on: September 25, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
Yes, I am!

Nice one! :D How have those English essays come along?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2017, 10:53:56 am »
+2
What is everyone's study plan for the holidays?

When I don't have to go into school for holiday classes I am trying to mimic a typical school day so I can balance all of my subjects.  :)
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

nabeela

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #393 on: September 27, 2017, 08:44:56 am »
+2

When I don't have to go into school for holiday classes I am trying to mimic a typical school day so I can balance all of my subjects.  :)
My action plan is the same as yours but i think allocating my target amount of trials may be difficult... Whats your method of efficient study?

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #394 on: September 28, 2017, 03:07:35 pm »
+2

i tried that and it didn't really work for me but i can see how it'd be nice! i've been doing 1/4 of a practice exam for history, an essay for english, essay for lit and then an hour of general study for my other two subjects each day (: it'll be annoying once school gets back though omg.

also holiday classes sound awful :/ i just finished trial exams today, but at least we didn't have to learn during them :P
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #395 on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:50 pm »
+1
i tried that and it didn't really work for me but i can see how it'd be nice! i've been doing 1/4 of a practice exam for history, an essay for english, essay for lit and then an hour of general study for my other two subjects each day (: it'll be annoying once school gets back though omg.

also holiday classes sound awful :/ i just finished trial exams today, but at least we didn't have to learn during them :P
How's the study for Revs going? ;D

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #396 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:27 pm »
+3
How's the study for Revs going? ;D

oh god um it's ... going? haha. i had my trial exam for it today and went in a little blind because with sacs up until last friday and then all the exams this week, it's been so hard to find time to revise? oops. russia (like, okay, AOS2?? who is lenin?? did russia even exist past october 1917?? sounds like fake news???) was an absolute travesty but america was surprisingly okay so if nothing else, i think it'll be interesting to get it back and see what i really need to concentrate on!

i would love to know how you revised for it actually if you still remember? (: i'm fine with dates and facts really, so not sure if i should start doing practice questions but with notes, or try and memorise everything and then do questions blind? aaah.
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2017, 01:04:55 am »
+6
oh god um it's ... going? haha. i had my trial exam for it today and went in a little blind because with sacs up until last friday and then all the exams this week, it's been so hard to find time to revise? oops. russia (like, okay, AOS2?? who is lenin?? did russia even exist past october 1917?? sounds like fake news???) was an absolute travesty but america was surprisingly okay so if nothing else, i think it'll be interesting to get it back and see what i really need to concentrate on!

i would love to know how you revised for it actually if you still remember? (: i'm fine with dates and facts really, so not sure if i should start doing practice questions but with notes, or try and memorise everything and then do questions blind? aaah.
Haha I feel you on not getting much study in before the practice exam - we had to rush to finish Russia AOS2 (was my 2nd rev), and like thankfully, my teacher had been making us do 3 or 4 pointers and parts of doc studies for China for the first 10-15 mins of class most days, so I had revision under my belt, but I didn't feel like I had everything consolidated, and I just felt so rushed haha - but not to worry! If nothing else, it can give you an indicator of what you really need to focus on, and it can give you that kick to get motivated :)
And yep, definitely feel you on the AOS2 lol. We learnt it so quickly, and it was different to the way we'd learnt the rest of the course, so it felt like it didn't even happen lol. Always felt a bit shifty on my AOS2 knowledge. Definitely performed worse in my Russia SACs and on the practice exam (and I reckon I also did worse on Russia in the actual exam), despite the fact China was seen as the hardest revolution and had the most content haha.

In terms of revision, basically just practice questions lol. My teacher was amazing, and made a pack for us all, full of practice questions to do. Honestly what I credit my study score to haha - I did just about every single question in the booklet, and it helped my timing so much. So yeah, maybe see if your teacher can give you exam style questions. Honestly probably the most important thing in Revs - nailing answering questions.
Apart from that, made sure I knew my historian's viewpoints for the doc study (d. question for me, but I believe it's now the c. question for you?) - and got good at applying them. I had really good grids for these - hard to explain here, so maybe send me a PM at some stage to remind me to give a proper explanation. Might even be able to send a photo or something.
Also had powerpoints for the content - dates, key points, etc. - made sure I knew my mnemonics and all that, but tbh, I had the content down pat by the time we finished AOS2 of Russia. But, these were amazing for revision. Just hit the space bar through the powerpoints so I could recall stuff instantly. :)

In terms of notes - I think I actually didn't take a single note the whole year. Crazy, I know? But like, the only notes I took were from readings we got assigned to do out of class. I genuinely don't even think I had an exercise book for Revs. If I did, I just used it to draw in haha. But yeah, had no need for notes. Learnt the content off the powerpoint (which really functioned more as flashcards. Again, if you're curious - chuck me a PM and I'll explain better :) )

So yeah, tl;dr - PRACTICE QUESTIONS! Don't even need to sit a whole practice exam. I only did 2 full practice exams, one of those being the formal one I had to go into school during the holidays to do, and the other one being one we organised to do under exam conditions in class. Get those practice questions going, incase I haven't said it enough haha.

Hope this was of some help! Always happy to answer anything in the question thread or via PM. :)

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #398 on: October 03, 2017, 10:50:02 pm »
+2
With less than a month to go, how is everyone feeling?
I'm starting to feel the pressure and stress that everyone else is doing a whole heap more exams than I am...I have finish all of my notes and are pretty content with them :)

Out of interest - when does everyone graduate? I graduate on the 24th of October!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #399 on: October 04, 2017, 10:07:09 am »
+3
With less than a month to go, how is everyone feeling?
I'm starting to feel the pressure and stress that everyone else is doing a whole heap more exams than I am...I have finish all of my notes and are pretty content with them :)

Out of interest - when does everyone graduate? I graduate on the 24th of October!

English Language is stressing me out, but I'm glad to have hit the time of year where I can just focus on exams. (I love the content of EL, but application under timed conditions is scary).

I also still need to finish some VTAC stuff off, hopefully I'll have that done by the end of this week

My school has our graduation at the start of December (which reminds me that I need to return my form)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2017, 01:12:55 pm »
+1
English Language is stressing me out, but I'm glad to have hit the time of year where I can just focus on exams. (I love the content of EL, but application under timed conditions is scary).

I also still need to finish some VTAC stuff off, hopefully I'll have that done by the end of this week

My school has our graduation at the start of December (which reminds me that I need to return my form)

Which section(s) of the exam in particular are you most concerned about for EngLang?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:41 pm »
+1
Which section(s) of the exam in particular are you most concerned about for EngLang?

Probably the essay. My main concern is that I won't finish it, so I'm thinking that maybe I should do the essay before the analytical commentary because an AC doesn't need to adhere to a rigid structure

edit: That way, if I run out of time I'll probably lose less marks for it being incomplete

• Forum Regular
  • ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #402 on: October 05, 2017, 12:04:59 am »
+2
Probably the essay. My main concern is that I won't finish it, so I'm thinking that maybe I should do the essay before the analytical commentary because an AC doesn't need to adhere to a rigid structure

edit: That way, if I run out of time I'll probably lose less marks for it being incomplete

The englang essay also terrifies me. I get close to full marks on the AC/short answer component but do painfully average on the essay :,( good luck with your englang studies!!

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2017, 03:36:45 pm »
+12
I don't have a personal VCE journal so I may as well post this on the communal journal (maybe I'll make one for uni next year). As I'm sure you are all aware, it's ATAR day today and I hope all from the class of 2017/2018 are satsified with their ATARs/study scores. It really is quite a cathartic moment to see the conclusion of 13 years of schooling. I was happy to see most of my friends were pleased with their results but alas a few were disappointed, something that cannot be avoided when it comes to ranking the entire state with one score. Is VCE a good system? Is it a bad system? I'm not sure anyone can answer that question, but it is a compromise that must be made and one that I believe does truly reward hard work and perseverance.

Since I am exceptionally happy with my result, I would like to express my gratitude to all the wonderful people of AN. The experience of the moderators and members who have already graduated is undeniably one of the most important aspects of this forum. I find school does not really allow for much interaction with older year levels, but reading the advice and support of VCE survivors on AN has really helped me gain an insight into successfully completing VCE. My fellow members of the class of 2017 deserve a special shoutout. We've been through many tough times together and reading about the VCE experience of other people and comparing it with my own has really put things into perspective for me. I'd also like to wish the year 11s on this forum good luck as they move into year 12. It really is the climax of your school life and you should make the most of it while enjoying yourself.

As for the future, I'm really not sure where I'm going. While many of my friends are locked into courses such as commerce @ UoM and can relax, I have decided to pursue medicine and thus Janurary 16th is going to be another nerve-wracking day with the mystery of the medical interview and UMAT thrown into the mix. All I can do now is hope for the best and try to take my mind off teriary offers.
UAdel MBBS

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2017, 04:14:52 pm »
+8
Well, I'm back after like what, 7 months or something. It's been a long while since I've posted on this forum or even touch the ATAR notes website but long story short, I experienced burn out fairly early into the year.
I tried to do too much at once both within my studies and in my personal life and I just completely lost it around mid this year. I needed to recover quickly and try to start the Semester 2 fresh so I quit all my music ensembles and took a long break from volunteering at my church. I started to slowly catch up and I was fine for a bit but I was definitely missing that balance between school and personal life still. So I decided to go back to a few of my ensembles and I've been settled in that area for a while now.
Out of all that I got a study score of 38 for Biology which I'm quite proud of. I feel like doing that 3/4 subject now has given me some insight on how to tackle my subjects next year, or more like how NOT to tackle them. Will try and be smarter about it next year. For Year 12, I'm taking English, Methods, Chem, Phys and hopefully Uni Chem at Monash Uni. Going to try and get back into volunteering at church just so I have something to do outside of school that continues on past Year 12 and yeah. That's my story. :)
"It's not the building that matters; it's what happens in it that does" ~ Mark Conner

2017 | Biology [38]
2018 | English [] Methods [] Chemistry [] Physics [] MUEP Chemistry []