Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:42:29 am

Author Topic: Is a high ATAR possible?  (Read 3502 times)

ebony237292

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is a high ATAR possible?
« on: July 24, 2021, 11:57:55 am »
Hi! I'm in year 11 and I'm currently taking the following subjects: biology, earth and environmental science, general English, general maths and study of religion (as well as a cert). Is it possible to achieve a high ATAR with these subjects? My desired university course requires a pretty high ATAR, so it's been worrying me a bit. I understand I don't take the more intense subjects (such as chemistry and physics) that probably scale higher.  :)

UnknownMate

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Is a high ATAR possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 07:44:24 pm »
Hello, I am also in Year 11. I have been given several talks about scaling and the subjects that yield a good/high atar. It is my advice to look through the attached report and make decisions accordingly. As you are expecting a high ATAR (I am assuming it to be >88), your subjects could help you achieve a decent atar. Biology might boost your atar a little bit. If your selected degree requires an ATAR higher than 90, then I would advice you to select different subjects.

UnknownMate.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Is a high ATAR possible?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 07:59:04 pm »
+3
Hi Ebony,

Welcome to ATAR Notes!

You can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects. For example, a friend of mine did English, Media, Business, General Maths and Food Studies, all subjects that scale down, and she ended up with an ATAR of 95. Scaling aims to level out the playing field. It is often advantageous to pick subjects you enjoy / play to your strengths rather than picking subjects just for the scaling, because if you don't like a subject, you might be less inclined to study for it.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:05:28 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash