Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:39 pm

Author Topic: Which Area of study usually causes most difficulty for students?  (Read 2484 times)  Share 

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
I’m currently doing chemistry year 12, and out of interest I wanted to know what you see as being the hardest areas of study for chemistry (i.e. lowest sac scores typically). Thus far, having just done unit 3, electrolysis appears to be the hardest.

What about organic chem, food chem etc?
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: Which Area of study usually causes most difficulty for students?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:05:35 pm »
+3
Hi!

Topics students find difficult depends on the individual student mostly, as some people 'click' certain topics easier than others. However, to answer your question, as a general consensus I'd say electrochemistry is the one topic that most students find difficult (and the one that people mostly make mistakes on in the exam). I'd say its mostly because its quite an abstract concept, and most people get it confused with galvanic cells, etc.

For me personally, food and organic chem was the easiest, and I'd say most bio students found that to be true as well. However, I do know people that found it harder to grasp than electrochemistry. Overall though, Unit 4 chemistry would mostly be considered conceptually 'easier' than Unit 3.

Hope this helps!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Which Area of study usually causes most difficulty for students?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:00:04 pm »
+3
For me personally, food and organic chem was the easiest, and I'd say most bio students found that to be true as well.

Definitely was the same for me (also did bio). In my cohort, I found that students who were more maths/physics inclined found unit 3 easier while those who were more bio inclined did much better in unit 4.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU