Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:42:56 am

Poll

Where should I go?

Swinburne, doing Professional Software Development
University of Adelaide, doing Computer Graphics

Author Topic: Ohshi- ... can't quite decide  (Read 3794 times)  Share 

BenBenMan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Ohshi- ... can't quite decide
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:46:10 pm »
I've got an offer at Swinburne for Professional Software Development, and I've got an offer at the University of Adelaide for Computer Science (which if I chose I would probably switch to the new Computer Graphics degree, though the first year is the same).

Right now I'm planning on going to Swinburne, but there are some compelling arguments to switch to the University of Adelaide... it's closer to where I am, has more prestige, and the Computer Graphics course sounds really interesting. However at Swinburne there is a really good industry based learning program, so I'll leave uni with a year of experience working in IT. Plus because of the Vice Chancellor's scholarship, I won't have to pay HECS in the future.

So, is it worth going for the University of Adelaide and its Group Of Eight-ness, or should I go for the not-so-prestigious but industry-focused Swinburne?

I know, I probably should have decided this long ago, but I had kinda decided on Swinburne because I didn't think I'd get an offer anywhere else. But, now the Adelaide Uni online enrollment stuff is sitting here on my desk. :P

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: Ohshi- ... can't quite decide
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:49:09 pm »
How much closer is Adelaide? Do you plan to move after making your decision (nullifying the distance advantage of Adelaide)?

If you want to work in computer graphics, then I would go to Adelaide.

SilverBullet

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:53:29 pm »
The IBL program is the main reason I chose Swinburne because it seemed like such an awesome opportunity to gain experience whilst studying. Nothing is better than the real thing.

I'd say Swinburne but I fall in love with the place from the moment I went there. (although the lecture theatres are mighty uncomfortable!) I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons of each place. Personally, I would never move to Adelaide if I had the choice to. :P
"And I made that connection between hard work and results, performance. I kept pushing myself seeing how far I could improve myself, and knew if I worked hard I would improve." Nathan Buckley

To sort out the confusion: I'm a girl!

BenBenMan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:02:14 pm »
How much closer is Adelaide? Do you plan to move after making your decision (nullifying the distance advantage of Adelaide)?

Adelaide's about 400km vs Melbourne which is about 600km... I'd probably be living on campus most of the time and going back and forth between uni and home a few times a year.

SilverBullet

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:17:39 pm »
Do you have friends in Adelaide?
"And I made that connection between hard work and results, performance. I kept pushing myself seeing how far I could improve myself, and knew if I worked hard I would improve." Nathan Buckley

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:38:57 pm »
Swinburne by a mile.... you have a scholarship as well!

dont get blinded by prestige...

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:43:53 pm »

Adelaide's about 400km vs Melbourne which is about 600km... I'd probably be living on campus most of the time and going back and forth between uni and home a few times a year.

While a degree from a prestigious university is good, the eternal argument that everyone > Melbourne means that a prestigious uni doesn't translate to a good course. Swinburne has a very good reputation within the industry, due to the ties they have stemming from their IBL program.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:49:19 pm »
Personally I would go for Adelaide because of the group of eight-ness thing... but then again it's cause i value prestige >.< if you don't like the adelaide life (the quietness etc) then i suppose you should stick to swinburne =) all the best with deciding ^^
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

rhcpfox1

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:53:10 pm »
It's a no contest.

University of Adelaide is in Adelaide.
Swinburne is not in Adelaide.

Swinburne Wins
quot;I only play Pac-Man and that car-jack game, there's nothing like scoring a caddy and mowing down street-hoes" - Dr.Kelso

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:12:16 pm »
If I were you I'd choose Swinburne, seeing as Swinburne has that IBL thing which = higher possibility of getting a job when you're done. Sure Adelaide is more prestigious, but when it comes down to it employers value experience in working in the field over prestigiousness of university. You could graduate with honours at the top of your class from a Group of Eight uni but unless you have the work experience, you won't have that much of an advantage over a graduate of an IBL course like Swinburne's.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:06 pm »
Straight up Swinburne if you want to have some fun... adelaide has like 1 club :P

BenBenMan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:51 pm »
Well, I've decided I'm off to Swinburne. However I deferred the Adelaide course so if I don't like Swinburne after a year, I can go straight into Adelaide.

Thanks for helping me decide :D

costargh

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 12:06:08 am »
Do really want to live in a city full of inbreds?

I think the choice is quite simple...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:48:18 am by costargh »

SilverBullet

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »
lol Glad to see the hate of South Australia is still alive within Victorians!

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »
lol Glad to see the hate of South Australia is still alive within Victorians!
i think even south australians hate themselves...
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.