National Education > General National Education Discussion

NYSF

(1/1)

Creamysnow:
Hi,
I just wanted to ask everyone about your opinion on whether NYSF is worth it, because I applied for it and may be having district interviews soon. However I'm having second thoughts, I think I like science, but less of the STEM aspect of it... I don't know, should I go?

keltingmeith:
Do it.

It is and was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever done in my life. If you like science, you'll love it just that much more. If it makes you feel any better, at the time I hated bio, enjoyed maths but despised engineering and thought was disgusted by the idea of studying medicine. (Physically - do not have the stomach for all that blood and other's bodies).

Creamysnow:

--- Quote from: meltingkeith on June 17, 2017, 08:24:11 pm ---Do it.

It is and was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever done in my life. If you like science, you'll love it just that much more. If it makes you feel any better, at the time I hated bio, enjoyed maths but despised engineering and thought was disgusted by the idea of studying medicine. (Physically - do not have the stomach for all that blood and other's bodies).

--- End quote ---
What did you do at NYSF that made it worthwhile? And what did you do at district interviews?

keltingmeith:
Tbh, it's hard to explain without ruining it/going on for ages. Seems like a cop out, but a ton of the beauty to NYSF is in its mystery. But essentially it exposed me to many different avenues of science that I'd never thought about our even heard of, is where I met people who are still some of my best friends, helped me to get through year 12 thanks to its next step programs, encouraged me to learn more about our universities than just Melbourne and step out of my comfort zone (so happy I went to Monash instead, you have no idea), and was a massive blast and super fun every step of the way.

Tbh I barely remember district interviews, sorry. All I remember is that it was super straightforward.

jakesilove:

--- Quote from: Creamysnow on June 17, 2017, 08:03:04 pm ---Hi,
I just wanted to ask everyone about your opinion on whether NYSF is worth it, because I applied for it and may be having district interviews soon. However I'm having second thoughts, I think I like science, but less of the STEM aspect of it... I don't know, should I go?

--- End quote ---

Cannot agree more with the above comments. Just do it. You'll absolutely, 100%, without a doubt love the experience. The doors it opens are endless, but that's not even the point; it will be the highlight of your Year 12.
Like, you need to at least by tangentially interested in some form of science. But, if you meet that tiny threshold, freaking do it. I wish I could go back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version