National Education > General National Education Discussion

University grades

(1/1)

Cacti:
Hello,
I am aware that to the grades at many universities in New South Wales follow the categories of:
Cedit: 65-74
Distinction: 75-84
High Distinction: 85-100

In Victoria, however, the univiersities follow:
Credit: 60-69
Distinction: 70-79
High Distinction: 80-100

I was wondering does that mean that it is harder to achieve D or HD in NSW than it would be in VIC? Or is it the same since it would be just as hard to get an 85 in NSW as it would be 80 in VIC.

I find it especially confusing when trying to figure out whether I am eligible for postgraduate studies or transfers interstate. E.g Melbourne Law wants D average which is specifically stated as 70. However, if I get a Credit at Sydney which 70, would that be equivalent?

Thanks.

brenden:
Hey, SUPER good question.

I definitely don't have any official answers, but, I'd imagine if you achieved a 70 average at USyd, UniMelb would consider that as a 'D' (or H2B, I think, in their system). Amongst Group of 8 Unis, I doubt that what the mark is called is the important thing to them. I'd wager they'd care more about the mark itself.

I can't speak for whether or not it's harder to get an HD at a NSW uni based on the grading system. Perhaps the tutors adjust their marking accordingly and think "This essay deserves an HD" and awards an 86 accordingly, whereas a VIC tutor moght think "this deserves an HD" and award an 81. If the marking is similar, though, which I'd imagine it would be... Then absolutely harder to get an HD in NSW haha.

There are probably people who coudl give a way better insight than me but - as far as university transfers go - I think you're safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version