Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:18 pm

Author Topic: Careers Education and Development - J41  (Read 13463 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Careers Education and Development - J41
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:38:02 am »
+24
Hello! I'm going to use this thread to document what I hope will be a nice little journey through further education. :)

I studied a Bachelor of Arts from 2013-15, and then Honours in 2016, but I haven't been at uni since. I'd like to do some study on the side, though (still work full-time), so my plan is to enrol in the Graduate Certificate in Careers Education and Development from RMIT University, which is one year part-time. The idea is to then continue to the Graduate Diploma, which will take another year part-time.

From what I can see, the next intake will be July this year, so that's what I'm planning for if all goes well (but there are several bridges to cross etc. before then).

Anyway, if that doesn't work out, I'd still like to enrol in further study at some point (PhD always in back of mind on unknown topic and for unknown reasons), so will use this same thread regardless to document how that progresses. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:26:10 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: I'm planning to go back to uni!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:45:43 am »
+7
Omg I'm so excited to see this thread develop!

What made you decide to go back? And why Careers Education instead of continuing your studies in linguistics? (Perhaps I'm a bit biased towards linguistics because linguistics is such an interesting topic ;D)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:48:48 am »
+11
Omg I'm so excited to see this thread develop!

What made you decide to go back? And why Careers Education instead of continuing your studies in linguistics? (Perhaps I'm a bit biased towards linguistics because linguistics is such an interesting topic ;D)

Thanks! :)

I've developed a strong interest in careers and stuff over the last little while and would like to add another string to my bow, I guess. I also think I have the capacity to do it, so might as well pursue it while I can.

Linguistics - love the field, still want to continue studies in it at some point (see OP - PhD of unknown topic and for unknown reasons haha). But to do a PhD part time, for example (because I still want to work), that would take like eight years, be extremely expensive, and have limited if any benefit on what I'm doing at the moment, y'feel?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:57:42 am »
+11
Thanks! :)

I've developed a strong interest in careers and stuff over the last little while and would like to add another string to my bow, I guess. I also think I have the capacity to do it, so might as well pursue it while I can.

Linguistics - love the field, still want to continue studies in it at some point (see OP - PhD of unknown topic and for unknown reasons haha). But to do a PhD part time, for example (because I still want to work), that would take like eight years, be extremely expensive, and have limited if any benefit on what I'm doing at the moment, y'feel?

yeah but Dr.J41
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:14 pm »
+6
Ahh I get it- my dad's doing his PhD at the moment and he's trying to manage his time working and slowly chipping away at his PhD.

Although I am curious, what was your Honours thesis on? Like, psycholinguistics? Sociolinguistics? (I'd love to track down your thesis and have a read)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 12:29:16 pm »
+6
Hello! I'm going to use this thread to document what I hope will be a nice little journey through further education. :)

I studied a Bachelor of Arts from 2013-15, and then Honours in 2016, but I haven't been at uni since. I'd like to do some study on the side, though (still work full-time), so my plan is to enrol in the Graduate Certificate in Careers Education and Development from RMIT University, which is one year part-time. The idea is to then continue to the Graduate Diploma, which will take another year part-time.

From what I can see, the next intake will be July this year, so that's what I'm planning for if all goes well (but there are several bridges to cross etc. before then).

Anyway, if that doesn't work out, I'd still like to enrol in further study at some point (PhD always in back of mind on unknown topic and for unknown reasons), so will use this same thread regardless to document how that progresses. :)

Hey, good on you! This is really exciting, best of luck!

How do you feel about using RMIT instead of Monash? In this, what challenges do you expect to face? (e.g. unfamiliar territory, different program, juggling work and study?)

Although I am curious, what was your Honours thesis on? Like, psycholinguistics? Sociolinguistics? (I'd love to track down your thesis and have a read)
Oh, it's a pretty saucy read.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 12:35:33 pm »
+7
yeah but Dr.J41

This is, genuinely, a much bigger drawcard than it should be hahaha. #rossgellerisadoctor

Ahh I get it- my dad's doing his PhD at the moment and he's trying to manage his time working and slowly chipping away at his PhD.

Sociolinguistics, yep. I guess more specifically, discourse analysis, and more specifically still, critical discourse analysis.

I looked at how Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard were portrayed by print media (linguistically) through their prime ministerships, focusing mostly on the leadership changes from Rudd > Gillard and Gillard > Rudd. If I were to pursue a PhD, I'd probably look at something similar - how male and female politicians are framed in and by the media, and how those framings could affect voters' behaviours.

I'll send you a PM with a link to my thesis haha.

Hey, good on you! This is really exciting, best of luck!

How do you feel about using RMIT instead of Monash? In this, what challenges do you expect to face? (e.g. unfamiliar territory, different program, juggling work and study?)

Good question! Obviously more familiar with Monash but I'm sure the systems and stuff have changed anyway since I've been there, so probably much of a muchness.

Quote from: Poet
Oh, it's a pretty saucy read.

Clever.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:13:48 pm »
+6
This is so exciting!!!

What would you like to do with this program once you’re done with it? (Maybe careers advising on AN could be in the books! hahaha) And how do you think you’ll cope with studying and working full-time?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 03:33:11 pm »
+6
This is so exciting!!!

What would you like to do with this program once you’re done with it? (Maybe careers advising on AN could be in the books! hahaha) And how do you think you’ll cope with studying and working full-time?

I think being qualified in careers would have pretty direct benefits in best helping around these traps, so I'd say that'll be a big advantage if all goes ahead! :D

Workload - good question. Haha. I think it'll be sweet but honestly, never done it, so am only guessing atm.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 11:36:20 am »
+10
I believe applications open today, so I'm planning to get on top of it at some point soon for Semester 2 intake. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 04:17:46 pm »
+9
Am gradually chipping away at the application. Not actually sure when I need to get it done by.

Bit of a weird process because it practically asks for a deconstructed CV (have to input all your work experience, education etc. one-by-one), but then it asks for a CV in full anyway. Most curious. ???

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 04:22:37 pm »
+8
Made a CV yesterday for the above reason. Felt weird - I haven't had a proper CV in years!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 02:18:50 pm »
+10
RMIT has accepted my application, so now I just need to formally enrol!

Quicker process than I thought. Applications don't close until the end of the month, so I was sort of anticipating not to hear anything until then.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:21:50 pm by Joseph41 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 01:06:13 pm »
+7
So, this Grad Cert. has four units. As I'm doing it part-time, I'll be doing two per semester. I *think* I've enrolled in two of them, but I've had trouble working out if I'm meant to be doing them in any particular order.

Oh well - I guess time will tell!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 04:13:00 pm »
+7
So, this Grad Cert. has four units. As I'm doing it part-time, I'll be doing two per semester. I *think* I've enrolled in two of them, but I've had trouble working out if I'm meant to be doing them in any particular order.

Oh well - I guess time will tell!

If you've got questions about how uni works we have a section of the forum for that :P