Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:43 pm

Author Topic: ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!  (Read 24833 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:54:22 am »
+18
Introducing the ATAR Notes English Paper 1 Trial Exam!

Click the link below to download - You must have registered for an account and be logged in!

We've put together this exam for you to use as a resource studying for your Trials! We know there aren't a heap of papers out there for the new Area of Study, and we wanted to make sure you guys had what you need to practice your responses before the real thing.

We encourage you guys to get feedback on responses to these exam questions!

- Get feedback on your short answer section (feel free to snap pictures of handwritten answers if you've done it under exam conditions) by posting below
- Get feedback on your creative by posting in our Creative Writing Marking Thread
- Get feedback on your essay by posting in our AoS Essay Marking Thread

Note that the usual essay marking rules apply - You'll need 25 posts for each response you'd like marked (all the short answer questions together count as a single response).

We hope this resource will be useful in the lead up to Trials and your HSC! ;D

Discussion of the paper here!!
Spoiler
Note: these are just some points of discussion that I've picked up on - there's more techniques than what I've listed. If you have other ideas please share!
Section One
Text One
Techniques:
-Enjambement (accessible, fluid, tone. Very organic, matching the process of "learning"/discovering.
-No rhyming scheme
-Second person narration
-"With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child" - opposites compared and contrasted.
-Double negation pairing. Symbolic of what has been learned."that kisses aren't contracts/and presents aren't promises" and "love doesn't mean leaning/and company doesn't always mean security."
-Repetition of "learn" in the last three lines. Emphasis on it's importance.
-Ending with an ellipsis (symbolic of the continued "learning" that has been repeated, the ongoing growth)
-Metaphors (particularly in the section of the poem regarding planting your own garden instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers)

The question: How are opposites used in the poem to portray the process and outcome of discoveries?
This question is only worth 2 marks, so it's not worth rambling about. I'd be talking about the opposites compared in the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child. I'd also be talking about the metaphor of instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers, do the opposite and grow your own garden. The structure of the poem reflects the process of discovery, in the way that at the beginning of the poem, lots of negations are used to show what you will learn to be no longer true (lots of opposite pairings here), but by the end of the poem, the poet is discussing what one will learn all in the positive affirmations and high modality: "you really are strong." for example. So it's really up to you to pick and choose what you want to discuss here seeing that it's only 2 marks! I'd personally just talk about how at the beginning the author talks uses the negations for what you will learn to no longer be accurate, like the negation pairing about kisses and contracts, and then I'd contrast it to the end of the poem with the affirmation that the outcome of discovery is that you learn to do the opposite of waiting: you are proactive. This is in the metaphor of the garden-growing.

Text Two
Techniques
In the text:
-First person narration.
-A series of short, simple, sentences.
-Metaphor in the final line
In the image:
-Vector line in the bench
-Colours (green above, grey tones below)
-Salient image: the woman
-The placement of the woman in the foreground
-The content of the mid and background: people! (see analysis)

The question: Explain how the text and the image complement each other in a representation of the woman's discovery about perspective.
So this one is worth three marks. The way I would have approached this is exactly as user Beau did, I'll quote their response here:
i chose to talk about the change in perspective that allowed her to recognise that her "life was so much bigger than" the minor things that make it up, namely her job which is analogised as "a small piece of the pie" to represent it's insignificance as a fraction of the whole instead of the whole of her life. this was reflected in the framing of the image that placed the woman to one side, with the opposing side consisting of a long path that stretched out to something "bigger".
The question asks us to link the text to the image - and this metaphor is one of the best ways to do it!

Text Three
Techniques
-Inclusive first person
-Anecdotes
-Inclusion of a letter
-Listing: "When you're alone you can see, hear, smell..."
-Simple sentence/direction: "Take pleasure in the experience."
-List of experiences

The question: How does the article describe the importance of experiences as a catalyst for discovery?
So, for a four marker, we're going to draw on a few different techniques. So, I'd be talking about the first person narration because it gives authority and a credit to the "experience," and this is added to by the use of anecdotes to describe the time of "before" the experience - giving more weight to the way experiences can be a catalyst for discoveries. The list in the second part of the extract then explains the suggested steps to complete in order to discover the world of travel outside the skin of an introvert. So the entire thing is about shy travellers overcoming their introversion to experience, and consequently, discover it is possible and rewarding.

For those who completed the paper, which texts did you use for the 6 marker? Let's discuss!

Explain how the notion of journeys being an integral element of discovery is represented in TWO texts of your choosing.

Section Two

Question: Compose a piece of imaginative writing that explores the complications of discovery. Include a significant relationship that is affected by discovery.

So the first part of this question demands we look at "the complications of discovery." Fortunately for you - this could be anything. The complications could be risks, arguments, obstacles to overcome, emotions, pride, planning, and so on. So this isn't such an easy thing to incorporate as long as you actually do bring it to the forefront of your story. It's not enough to have a bit of trouble somewhere - it needs to be the complications of discovery, not the complications of an unrelated snippet of background context. And secondly, we need to look at a significant relationship that is affected by discovery. A relationship between people? Between lands? A romantic relationship? A business relationship? A relationship with God? A relationship with oneself? But the question demands it is a SIGNIFICANT relationship - so I'd take that to mean significant to the story, but also significant to the discovery - or the discovery was significant to it! I imagine that involving a relationship isn't too difficult because all stories have a plot, and plots usually come from a relationship, or tension, between two forces. What did you think about it?

Section Three
Question: Different discoveries may have similarities, but the ramifications will always vary. To what extent is this statement true in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?

The "different discoveries" here may be the different discoveries in your two texts, or you could be looking at the layers of discovery in even just one of your texts, and then contrast it to the other. If you're approaching your essay in an integrated way, you'd likely be talking about the similarities and differences anyway. But the "ramifications will always vary" means that you need to put a particular focus in your essay on the outcomes of discoveries.

REALLY keen to know what you think...where you struggled...where you aced it... Let me know your thoughts! :)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:23:25 am by jamonwindeyer »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:27:22 am »
+1
Thanks!! I have my paper 1 exam next week, so the pressure is on during this last week.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 04:38:26 pm »
+6
Thanks!! I have my paper 1 exam next week, so the pressure is on during this last week.

I'm assuming you're doing a paper that your teacher created themselves? Instead of a bought paper? If so, please share with us your paper's questions! We'd love to build up a bank of possible questions here. Good luck!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:58 pm »
+3
BUMPING THIS POST FOR EVERYONE COMING OVER FROM SNAPCHAT!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:31 pm »
+2
Thanks for this guys! Helps heapful when I start prepping particularly with the unseen texts.
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »
+1
Legendary! I need all the practice on short answers I can get. Thank you guys :)
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:55 pm »
I haven't looked at AOS since term 1 really hoping it doesnt take much to trigger my memory!
I've heard its not as hard as it seems to remember quotes and various essays but I'm really struggling to believe it.
Obviously its not easy but it seems near impossible right now lol

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:21:36 am »
+2
Glad it's been helpful for you all! Tomorrow I'll post up a discussion thread for the paper, so we can identify the different techniques at play in the unseen texts, the importance of each word in the questions, what you should focus on, etc. Stay tuned!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »
+1
Thanks so much guys! I'm going through this today and it's really helpful!  :)
Do you have any tips in answering text 2-i'm not really sure on how to answer it (or will this come up in tomorrow's thread)?
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:22:18 pm »
+1
Do you have any tips in answering text 2-i'm not really sure on how to answer it (or will this come up in tomorrow's thread)?

I'll definitely post about this tomorrow :) I know it's more unusual, but given that last year they had no visual text, I thought we would include a more unusual one because of the way it includes text and image together, just to prepare you for whatever may be now we know they changed the structure from being typical last year :)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 11:01:39 pm »
+4

i chose to talk about the change in perspective that allowed her to recognise that her "life was so much bigger than" the minor things that make it up, namely her job which is analogised as "a small piece of the pie" to represent it's insignificance as a fraction of the whole instead of the whole of her life. this was reflected in the framing of the image that placed the woman to one side, with the opposing side consisting of a long path that stretched out to something "bigger".

Im not sure if that necessarily helped - i'm not great at english and that in fact was written better than my actual response. but I hope it helps.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:03:54 am »

Im not sure if that necessarily helped - i'm not great at english and that in fact was written better than my actual response. but I hope it helps.

Jeez, sounds like you're an expert to me - That was nicely done ;D

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 09:35:06 am »

Jeez, sounds like you're an expert to me - That was nicely done ;D
Like i said much better than what i actually wrote  ;D :P  :'(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:48 am »

When I put that text in - this is the exact idea that came to mind first. So I can proudly tell you that your idea matches mine perfectly and I'm impressed ;)

Just finalising my thoughts to the paper now everyone!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
+4
Discussion of the paper here!!
Note: these are just some points of discussion that I've picked up on - there's more techniques than what I've listed. If you have other ideas please share!
Section One
Text One
Techniques:
-Enjambement (accessible, fluid, tone. Very organic, matching the process of "learning"/discovering.
-No rhyming scheme
-Second person narration
-"With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child" - opposites compared and contrasted.
-Double negation pairing. Symbolic of what has been learned."that kisses aren't contracts/and presents aren't promises" and "love doesn't mean leaning/and company doesn't always mean security."
-Repetition of "learn" in the last three lines. Emphasis on it's importance.
-Ending with an ellipsis (symbolic of the continued "learning" that has been repeated, the ongoing growth)
-Metaphors (particularly in the section of the poem regarding planting your own garden instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers)

The question: How are opposites used in the poem to portray the process and outcome of discoveries?
This question is only worth 2 marks, so it's not worth rambling about. I'd be talking about the opposites compared in the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child. I'd also be talking about the metaphor of instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers, do the opposite and grow your own garden. The structure of the poem reflects the process of discovery, in the way that at the beginning of the poem, lots of negations are used to show what you will learn to be no longer true (lots of opposite pairings here), but by the end of the poem, the poet is discussing what one will learn all in the positive affirmations and high modality: "you really are strong." for example. So it's really up to you to pick and choose what you want to discuss here seeing that it's only 2 marks! I'd personally just talk about how at the beginning the author talks uses the negations for what you will learn to no longer be accurate, like the negation pairing about kisses and contracts, and then I'd contrast it to the end of the poem with the affirmation that the outcome of discovery is that you learn to do the opposite of waiting: you are proactive. This is in the metaphor of the garden-growing.

Text Two
Techniques
In the text:
-First person narration.
-A series of short, simple, sentences.
-Metaphor in the final line
In the image:
-Vector line in the bench
-Colours (green above, grey tones below)
-Salient image: the woman
-The placement of the woman in the foreground
-The content of the mid and background: people! (see analysis)

The question: Explain how the text and the image complement each other in a representation of the woman's discovery about perspective.
So this one is worth three marks. The way I would have approached this is exactly as user Beau did, I'll quote their response here:
The question asks us to link the text to the image - and this metaphor is one of the best ways to do it!

Text Three
Techniques
-Inclusive first person
-Anecdotes
-Inclusion of a letter
-Listing: "When you're alone you can see, hear, smell..."
-Simple sentence/direction: "Take pleasure in the experience."
-List of experiences

The question: How does the article describe the importance of experiences as a catalyst for discovery?
So, for a four marker, we're going to draw on a few different techniques. So, I'd be talking about the first person narration because it gives authority and a credit to the "experience," and this is added to by the use of anecdotes to describe the time of "before" the experience - giving more weight to the way experiences can be a catalyst for discoveries. The list in the second part of the extract then explains the suggested steps to complete in order to discover the world of travel outside the skin of an introvert. So the entire thing is about shy travellers overcoming their introversion to experience, and consequently, discover it is possible and rewarding.

For those who completed the paper, which texts did you use for the 6 marker? Let's discuss!

Explain how the notion of journeys being an integral element of discovery is represented in TWO texts of your choosing.

Section Two

Question: Compose a piece of imaginative writing that explores the complications of discovery. Include a significant relationship that is affected by discovery.

So the first part of this question demands we look at "the complications of discovery." Fortunately for you - this could be anything. The complications could be risks, arguments, obstacles to overcome, emotions, pride, planning, and so on. So this isn't such an easy thing to incorporate as long as you actually do bring it to the forefront of your story. It's not enough to have a bit of trouble somewhere - it needs to be the complications of discovery, not the complications of an unrelated snippet of background context. And secondly, we need to look at a significant relationship that is affected by discovery. A relationship between people? Between lands? A romantic relationship? A business relationship? A relationship with God? A relationship with oneself? But the question demands it is a SIGNIFICANT relationship - so I'd take that to mean significant to the story, but also significant to the discovery - or the discovery was significant to it! I imagine that involving a relationship isn't too difficult because all stories have a plot, and plots usually come from a relationship, or tension, between two forces. What did you think about it?

Section Three
Question: Different discoveries may have similarities, but the ramifications will always vary. To what extent is this statement true in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?

The "different discoveries" here may be the different discoveries in your two texts, or you could be looking at the layers of discovery in even just one of your texts, and then contrast it to the other. If you're approaching your essay in an integrated way, you'd likely be talking about the similarities and differences anyway. But the "ramifications will always vary" means that you need to put a particular focus in your essay on the outcomes of discoveries.

REALLY keen to know what you think...where you struggled...where you aced it... Let me know your thoughts! :)