Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:24:18 am

Author Topic: "I think" - AngelWings' University Journal  (Read 21785 times)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: "I think" - AngelWings' University Journal
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:17 pm »
+6
Date: 4th March 2018
This past week has been slightly more technical and I've now finished my orientation for Honours.

Monday & Tuesday: Reading and associated activities for Honours.
Wednesday: Caught up with my supervisor.
Thursday: Had some more orientation sessions. I now know how to use a fire extinguisher where necessary, so I think that's pretty cool. Had another session discussing maintaining our health and all of its facets throughout Honours. One part was on not overloading on sugar and caffeine (I feel like mentioning Joseph41 here). What made this ironic was that my mate was openly eating from a packet of chocolate and drinking his coffee occasionally - and we were seated in the front row, right in front of the professor! 
Friday: Some more safety stuff. Somehow we helped out a first year (our safety session was held next door to their labs) and my friend invited her to join us for lunch, so she did. Random question: how many people do we have here doing BIO1011? Some of the biological sciences buildings are beside the first year biology labs, so I might accidentally bump into some of you there.

So far, so good. Tomorrow marks the start of the real deal. Here's hoping these first few weeks go well! 

I'll be heading to the Employability Expo this coming week, which should be good. I'd recommend registering, because they usually scan their cards from what I can remember from previous years.   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 11:17:01 pm »
+7
Date: 29th March 2018
It's been almost a month, so I thought I should update. Several events have happened, so I'm going to pop them all in spoilers. Hopefully I’ll clear up a couple of questions about my journey this year thus far along the way. I'll also be explaining what my project is about now that I know a little more about it. :)
AngelWings' Honours Project
Quickest explanation is that my Honours project is on chromosomal evolution in complex life cycles using biological models.
To make sure this lasts, I'm learning a lot of this from scratch, because my base knowledge in biological modelling hasn't always been the best. I’ll also be graphing and simulating a lot of this on the computer to check that this works.
Some recent events:
1. Offers - what is the deal with me talking about them? (I swear this will be the last instalment for a good while!)
The Tale of the Offers
At the end of last year (3rd year, Bachelor of Science), I applied for four different courses.
1. Honours (ecology) - 2nd preference
2. Master of Environment and Sustainability - lowest preference
3. Honours (genetics) - highest preference
4. Master of Biotechnology - 3rd preference

As I didn't have stellar grades, I didn't expect to receive much success in any of these applications, if at all, and applied to several to ensure that I, by chance, would at least land one of these. Due to a solid performance in my final semester, I was able to apply for Honours with a tiny, but comfortable, margin. If you've been reading this journal, you'll recognise that I previously received offers for Courses #1 to #3, in the order that they're listed in above and eventually enrolled in the Honours (genetics) course.

On Labour Day (in Victoria, that was on 12th March), I received word about my application to the Master of Biotechnology... and that was a successful offer too. (The reason the offer came so late is because this is actually a new course that has its first ever cohort next semester.) As I'm already really ecstatic about studying Honours and have clearly started, I had to reject this Master offer like the previous one.

What did I learn here? That I need to have a bit more faith in myself. My natural pessimism tends to make me overthink and believe that I won't make it, but I now know that I can, given a little elbow grease. (Also, I feel like this also shows the severity of my imposter syndrome. ::) )

2. What I've actually been doing.
Recent uni recounts
Besides catching up with friends more regularly, I've been getting old results from previous research again from the beginnings to figure out the inner workings. My supervisor and I also started getting into the finer details of my project by delving right into the beginnings of one of several models we’ll have to construct! Highly exciting stuff!

I've read probably 15-20 more articles (most likely more). Sounds boring, but the good part is to come. We have a literature review due in a few weeks, but they're expecting top notch quality, so I'm reading and writing like a madman.

I've been reading so much that I went to reply on this post last week:
And yet I am a man, the best kind of man...
I am a woman. :-D
And almost posted "When you do too much biology and automatically translated woman as XX. Then realised it could be ZW. Then realised this has nothing to do with sex determination. Exactly why I needed this break from my article reading marathon." Oops. ::) 

Besides this, I’ve been looking into a bunch of graduate programs and applying for them. Currently in a couple of stages into one, so that’s pretty good news. Hoping to score a graduate place somewhere for 2019 and will see how that goes.

Hope you guys have a nice break!  ;D
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 06:04:42 pm »
+10
Date: 23rd April 2018
Literature review was due today and, boy, despite being prepared, it took me forever to get it done. I only hope that literally a month’s effort doesn’t go to waste and I fare well. I would hate to let anybody, especially my supervisor, down after all of that. It did feel a little basic because there were so many corrections to the drafts and I only understood one of the concepts my supervisor was trying to explain to me a few days ago when it finally clicked in my head. (Love it when that happens, am I right? :P )

I’m feeling exhausted from that, so tonight will be an early night for sure. Taking the rest of today easy and just catching up on things.

Aside from uni, it’s been pretty much the same old, same old, albeit a little monotonous. I stopped applying for grad programs a while back to concentrate on the literature review and am yet to hear from two companies, but I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that it takes longer. Longer usually means they like you and they considered you thoroughly. Usually.

Trying to keep a positive mindset lately because it looks like the people I contact are in stress mode. Makes sense given it’s over halfway through semester and a month, nearly two, into Honours. The assessment is starting to trickle into our lives, so everyone’s a bit testy at this time of the year. Otherwise everyone seems to rely on study-related memes that fills my Facebook timeline. (Not that it irks me. Just a trend I noticed.)

My life has been a little empty as I’ve noticed I don’t tend to relax much, so any recommendations or advice on the following would be much appreciated:
- how to force yourself to sleep regularly or, more broadly, how to introduce some regularity/ discipline in my life (Since I started honours, especially because I do theory, I’ve been associating emotion to work. It’s as if there’s an impossibly high threshold of motivation, much higher than it used to be, which reminds me of this video.)
- hobbies/ activities I should try
- how to induce some spontaneity and spice my life up ever so slightly (because balance is key)

Hope all is going well with everybody. :)
VTAC Info Thread

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 08:52:39 pm »
+4
My life has been a little empty as I’ve noticed I don’t tend to relax much, so any recommendations or advice on the following would be much appreciated:
- how to force yourself to sleep regularly or, more broadly, how to introduce some regularity/ discipline in my life (Since I started honours, especially because I do theory, I’ve been associating emotion to work. It’s as if there’s an impossibly high threshold of motivation, much higher than it used to be, which reminds me of this video.)
- hobbies/ activities I should try
- how to induce some spontaneity and spice my life up ever so slightly (because balance is key)

Hope all is going well with everybody. :)
To your first point: "If you want to be tougher mentally, it is simple: be tougher. Don't meditate on it". Jocko Willink. Seems simple, but many people over-complicate it. The simple way to induce sleep is sleeping and getting up the same time, every single day.
Falling asleep
-No screens for 1-2 hours before you sleep
-Establish a nighttime routine and stick to it
-Make sure you have your bedroom or sleeping place as dark as possible
-Make sure you have no to minimal sound disturbance

Waking up
-Expose yourself ASAP to natural light aka sunlight
-Set your alarm away from your bed like the door to your bed and have no snooze alarm
-Have a morning routine and stick to it

For your second point: Join the dance club. Yes a dance club. Dancing lesson. Solo and partner (partner can be a sore spot for a jealous significant other, so if yours is then best to do it with them.), Learn how to draw, Learn how to code/program (Google AN forum for threads on these or just ask Aaron), Learn to meditate, Practice observe/people watching and/or Walk around without your phone & Observe your surroundings (It is a good litmus test for how addictive you are to your phone measured by your anxious levels). You can always try reading (But you may not want to due to all the reading you need to do for your honours)

For your third point, Talk to people. Anyone. Women, Men, Children, Old people, Cops, Tourists (My main group since I'm always helping them find their way around). Skipping, no seriously try it. That is sure to spice your life and get people's attention. Laying out the ground for 30 seconds and be on your way. Pay for someone's lunch/coffee/movie tickets/breakfast/books/whatever you want & can afford. These should get you going, if you need more give me a holler and I'll give you a whole list that will you set you for life.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 09:57:16 am »
To your first point: "If you want to be tougher mentally, it is simple: be tougher. Don't meditate on it". Jocko Willink. Seems simple, but many people over-complicate it. The simple way to induce sleep is sleeping and getting up the same time, every single day.
Falling asleep
-No screens for 1-2 hours before you sleep
-Establish a nighttime routine and stick to it
-Make sure you have your bedroom or sleeping place as dark as possible
-Make sure you have no to minimal sound disturbance

Waking up
-Expose yourself ASAP to natural light aka sunlight
-Set your alarm away from your bed like the door to your bed and have no snooze alarm
-Have a morning routine and stick to it

For your second point: Join the dance club. Yes a dance club. Dancing lesson. Solo and partner (partner can be a sore spot for a jealous significant other, so if yours is then best to do it with them.), Learn how to draw, Learn how to code/program (Google AN forum for threads on these or just ask Aaron), Learn to meditate, Practice observe/people watching and/or Walk around without your phone & Observe your surroundings (It is a good litmus test for how addictive you are to your phone measured by your anxious levels). You can always try reading (But you may not want to due to all the reading you need to do for your honours)

For your third point, Talk to people. Anyone. Women, Men, Children, Old people, Cops, Tourists (My main group since I'm always helping them find their way around). Skipping, no seriously try it. That is sure to spice your life and get people's attention. Laying out the ground for 30 seconds and be on your way. Pay for someone's lunch/coffee/movie tickets/breakfast/books/whatever you want & can afford. These should get you going, if you need more give me a holler and I'll give you a whole list that will you set you for life.

Thanks so much for the advice! Will try to act upon it. First I have to work on my sleep; it’s been waaaay too long since my ‘routine’ was regular. I did, however, get lots of sleep last night so... very first baby step, tick! :)
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 07:26:10 pm »
+8
Date: 18th May 2018
It's been a while since I last updated, hasn't it? Heh, oops. Might be a short update, because I've a bit to do right now.

A bit has been happening since my last entry, with a tiny roller coaster of emotions over the past 3 weeks (technically, past month). I've been chugging along - albeit slowly - with my project. Currently stuck at a point, but I'm not done trying things yet. (I might explain this properly in the future, but I'll see...) I've also been reading up on the current state of evolutionary biology and ecology a little more, which has been rather interesting.

Friends from previous years came back to graduate this week. It was a bittersweet moment to see them again. It's the feeling that you get when you see your friends from primary school again after many years. You feel like it's been a while and that you've changed, but you also feel awfully familiar with telling them what's actually been up with you and not the abridged version that you would tell an acquaintance.   

Oh and remember my last post about those issues I mentioned? Still working on it, but it's getting better. I made sure to be more social, exercise a little more and be a little less workaholic, although all of those are still works in progress. I tend to act all-or-nothing, so I find that I have issues hitting a good intermediate sometimes, but that's something I intend to fix about myself in due time.
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 04:08:24 pm »
+8
Date: 15th June 2018
Really quick update, as I've got an assignment due Monday Just thought I shouldn't leave this hanging.

I'm now about halfway into my Honours year and I've been pretty happy with my progress thus far. At the moment, I'm trying to figure a way to make my project more accessible and presentable. Despite a few issues (we had to redo a model once), things are actually going alright and pretty much to plan. I've been lacking the biological interpretation of what my models mean and that's something I'm hoping to elucidate once my assignment is over. Once I interpret everything, I should be able to start writing up a section of my thesis, although I still have a number of models to go. I've also added to the project since I discussed it in the literature review I talked about a few posts back (which was actually combined with a project proposal), so I've actually got a good chunk to talk about already.

Talking of which, I received the literature review back a while ago and didn't fare too badly. Seeing as I knew it wasn't the best and my project is complex to begin with (I was warned), I wasn't expecting to do well in relation to my cohort, but I actually did alright. So I'm pretty pleased with how that went. I also received my Bachelor of Science certificate (without Honours) the other day and can't wait to frame it up.   

I'll explain my project properly in due time, but once I'm out of the woods. The next few weeks will be composed of coursework assignments, practising for said assignments and starting some new models, which I've been researching relevant species for this past week. I've also got some personal events going on, hence the lack of updating time.

For now, I've got to sign off though... life and Honours are calling for me. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask below, whether it's "What's Honours like?", "How did you figure out you wanted to do a science degree instead of architecture?" or "What's your favourite colour?". Okay, maybe not the last of those, because it's off topic, but anything related to science, uni/ education, life, etc. is more than welcome. :)       
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 04:11:14 pm »
Nice work on the lit review! And congrats on the degree. ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »
+9
Nice work on the lit review! And congrats on the degree. ;D
Thanks J41!

Date: 13th July 2018
Missed meeting up with the AN VIC crew today :( , but pretty busy this week. Also, random tangent: every time I check this journal, it's literally a month later. How does time fly so fast?  :-\
I'll explain my project properly in due time, but once I'm out of the woods.       
The time has come. I've been procrastinating on this for a while, but I should probably explain what I've been doing for a solid 4-5 months so this journal makes more sense. Honours, at least in my department, is run in two parts - the research project and coursework, so I'll discuss these in two separate sections below. Hopefully, this will provide some insight into my experiences.

1. Research Project
Research Project
The research project is the part everyone knows about and thinks of when you tell people you're studying Honours. The question people always ask is: "What's your project about?" or something along those lines. Projects are an individual thing, so every Honours student you talk to will be doing something different.

My research project has been modified since the start, so if this doesn't quite match up with what I said earlier, that's the reason why.

Currently, my project discusses chromosomal evolution in mixed mating species. In its most fundamental form, I am looking at how different modes of reproduction - asexual and sexual reproduction (especially how combinations of these) - affect the genetic make-up of a population in the context of evolution. More specifically, how does parthenogenesis (a form of asexual reproduction) at varying degrees, affect genetic variation? To do this, my supervisor and I are using models to describe how this should work theoretically. Along the way, we make a bunch of assumptions that limits the types of genes and organisms that these models can be applied to.

Plan is to form 4 models, each with 3 different types of genes depending on which chromosome they're from (autosome, X or Z chromosomes), as that'll affect how they're inherited. The 4 models are distinguished by broad differences in how the asexual reproduction happens and the composition of each generation.

At the moment, I've been making several versions of the first model of the 4. It's taking a long time because we've made mistakes several times, we've  found specific cases (but weren't general enough, so we tried again) and we really wanted to confirm that what we got was right. Right now, I'm on a break from finishing this and graphing the results. Next week, I should be starting the next model, which is exciting news.

2. Coursework
Coursework
Besides the project, we have another mandatory component to ensure that we have the toolkit of a scientist. Things like analysing data to derive scientific conclusions, being able to discuss current research and present our research to the average layperson are essential skills. As a result, Honours students, at least in my department, are assigned a bunch of assessments that also count towards our grades.

About a week ago, I received my grade for the statistics assignment. I was relatively happy with my mark.
Around the same time, I had another assessment task. I was a little disappointed in myself about it, but I still hope I did well. (Marks haven't been released for this yet.)

Other News
Other News
Aside from the hectic assessments and my project in general, I've been trying to keep friends and classmates around me positive, as a lot of their experiments and such are just not working or they've lost a lot of motivation. I've been taking breaks regularly (as I am now) to ensure that I don't burn out. Something I also haven't mentioned yet is that there are two Honours intakes; I was a part of the first semester 2018 intake. The second semester intake begins next week, so I'm hyped to meet new people again. 

I've also been catching up with old friends and other life lessons/ events. New graduate programs, jobs and internships are popping up now as well, so I've been busy trying to apply for as many as possible. Talking of which... this reminds me of a few summer internships undergraduate students are able to apply for, so if any penultimate or final year (typically 3rd year) science/ health science/ medicine undergrad students are interested, please PM me.    

Overall, I'd say I'm over the largest hurdles of Honours right now and just need to sprint towards the end at full speed. Honours has been a pretty big learning curve so far and, just like I suspected, I've not just learnt a lot, but I've also been growing a lot personally. There are still many things I am yet to fix, but I'm working on it. I can say for sure that I'm trying my best right now, so that's what really matters, isn't it? :)

Anyway, I should probably go back to my project. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend or break, as the case may be, and I hope you're ready to go come term/ semester. To any currently demotivated VCE/ HSC students, please know that everyone has these lulls in motivation - even at Honours level and beyond. It is natural. If this is happening to you, take a day off when you can and just chill. Rest up (properly) and you'll be back with that motivational fire in your eyes in no time!  :D   
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 02:31:52 pm »
+7
Date: 10th August 2018
Another month gone by. I've had a few things happen, but all in all, it feels like the same old, same old. I guess I need to work on my spontaneity, but that's right after I work on taking more breaks. I realise I don't relax much (I think I mentioned I'm a little more workaholic than I should be before.) and need to ease on the accelerator sometimes. 

How's Honours?
Question of the hour. I seem to get this a lot now. Really don't know how to answer but "It's going ok.". It's a default answer like everyone says "I'm fine." to "How are you?".

In all honesty, it is going okay and it's no lie. If I had to be specific, I'm probably somewhere midway into the second model and we (my supervisor and I) think it'll be my last one for the year, just because we've run out of time. It takes roughly a month to do a model and, add in checking, troubleshooting, coding and simulating, it takes about 5-6 weeks now. Not to mention, I have just 2.5 months left until thesis is due. Slightly disappointed I didn't get to do more, but I'm still happy with my progress and current work. You always have such a grand plan and wind up realising you only can do a portion of it - it simply happens. Oh well. The stage I'm up to right now is just checking my models and seeing if they're right. I'll probably have this complete in the following two weeks or so.

I'm also starting to think of how I can present this to a general audience, as one of the final assessments is to give an oral presentation. Not exactly difficult, except for the fact that I'm doing my Honours in a field none of my peers have really done much on or previously studied much of before. Which means a solid chunk of terminology I use on a daily basis is out the window. Great. -.-

Aside from the pessimism, I feel pretty ahead on top of things at the the moment. I hope that lasts for a solid few months before the last few weeks of constant mayhem and panic of thesis deadline (late October) sets in.

Side tangent: My supervisor got a new Honours student with the mid-year intake and I've been teaching the ropes when he needs it.

What have you been doing besides uni?
I've tried to be more social lately, but it's just not happening with everyone because we're all equally busy. I did, however, attend a party, so that was good. Again, still applying for jobs and grad programs.

Beyond this, as I said at the beginning, trying to implement more breaks into my life (like right now). I'm also going to attempt to shorten my screen time, which is kind of difficult for the Honours project I've been doing. Exercise is slowly getting back into my life, as has a slightly healthier diet. My part-time job is about to see some changes, so I'm also a little anxious about that in the background.

Anything else?
I know that VTAC (and maybe UAC soon?) are opening for preferences. Feel free to drop a PM if you want someone to talk about the Bachelor of Science at Monash, especially if it's anything from biology, chemistry or first year maths (and Japanese, just because). You can also ask me about architecture selection (I tried out for Monash Architecture), having really random preferences, Honours --- pretty much anything.

If you're a student at Monash, feel free to also shoot me a PM for random career opportunities (part time, casual and full time) and such. Also, if anyone has a Year 9 sibling (or you, the reader, are a super organised Year 9) who wants to find work experience for 2019, I know of a list of places too.
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 01:25:51 pm »
+6
Not an update. Just wanted to show some of the work my classmate has been doing:
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2018, 10:19:17 pm »
+7
Note: This post is going to be quick and disjointed, because I don't have much time at the moment.
Date: 31st August 2018
August 2018 will be done in a couple of hours. Every time I start a post, it's about how time's flown - and it really has. I have just under 2 months left until thesis deadline.

Honours Project
The models I've been working on are nearly complete. I'm currently finishing some checks, interpretations, graphs and such to tie up all of the loose ends. I've also been starting to write up my thesis and it's coming along slowly, but I'll need to read some more for better references.

Coursework
Don't think I mentioned this last time, but a week after the last post, I had another coursework assignment due. Yesterday, I received feedback for that assignment and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Last week, the cohort had a few sessions regarding 2019 and onwards - basically giving us information on what's next after Honours. They also introduced the next coursework assignment, which I'm hoping to finish really soon.

Other
Besides Honours, most of my time has been dedicated to job hunting. I realise that my spare time is slowly getting eaten up by Honours and the impending load of thesis writing, so this section will seem really sparse for the next couple of entries.

In terms of how I'm feeling right now, I'm a little tired, but I think it's to be expected at this point of the year with the continuous workload and the fact that it's a Friday night. Otherwise, I'm okay and just need to sit and do things. Recently, there have been some ups and downs, but most of those are related to job applications and not uni-related, so I won't put them into this journal. Anyway, I've run out of time today, so I'll sign off until next time. Have a nice weekend, everybody! ;D
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »
+11
Date: 30th September 2018
This past month has seen me burn out and recover. Still in the recovery process, but it's slow.

Honours Project
The project is now complete, with only two big assessments left: an oral presentation and my thesis. The oral is what I'm working on currently. I had a practise run last week, but it was pretty terrible and the complexity of my project meant I needed to redo my script to make it even simpler to understand. After a bunch of editing, I'm now practising it again over the next few days and making minor edits to my slides that accompany the presentation.

Thesis writing has therefore slowed for the moment, but will be back as soon as my oral presentation is over. With the oral assisting me in realising the results, I'm hoping to just smash out the rest of my thesis immediately after my oral and have it done within a week. I already had about a third of it ready before the oral took precedence, but it wasn't quality and I wasn't proud of it at all. Armed with my new direction, I should be able to just sit and write (well... type) like a madman.

Coursework
Our last non-project related assignment was due a few weeks ago in mid-September. It was only worth a small amount, but I felt like it wasn't worth losing any marks over, so I tried to make it perfect. Results have yet to be released for this.

Other
As I said, I crashed and burned for a couple of weeks, but used that time to fix up several things. Some were related to my project like fixing graphs and simulations, reading relevant articles and writing little bits and pieces of my thesis. Some were related to jobs, since I found a few jobs to apply for or I proceeded to the second stage (interviews usually). (Side note: Those changes in my current part-time job I talked about two entries earlier happened, which went relatively smoothly.) I spent a lot of time procrastinating during those weeks I burnt out. Fortunately, I've recently figured things that I need to avoid. Thankfully, AN isn't one of them. About a week ago, I inadvertently regained a little of my motivation after meeting with my supervisor and that's the push I needed to get back into the action. I'm hoping it lasts. (Also, my thesis is now due in less than a month, so I'll probably have finished by the time I write my next journal entry. I'm in a real time crunch, so please excuse my erratic presence on AN until I'm done in late October.)

Life beyond Honours at the moment is still a mystery. Hopefully, I'll be employed full-time somewhere for the next few years. If I do well enough in Honours to go for a PhD, then I might do that in a few years' time. Since my project has been theoretical, I'm intending to bring my technical skills back up, gain a little life experience and then come back, but I'll see how I go first before I make any concrete plans.

Alright, that's all for today. I'll keep this updated whenever I get the chance.
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 11:13:32 pm »
+12
Date: 23rd October 2018
This month has flown past and seen me racing against time more often than not. Over this past month, I've done an oral presentation (which I discussed in my previous post) and my thesis.

Oral Presentation (aka Final Seminar)
My oral presentation, which we call the 'final seminar', went down surprisingly well. This was despite:
- redoing my script 4 times until I was satisfied with it and the last iteration was done literally the night before
- having an 18 minute speech prepared for a 15 minute oral (students were strictly timed)
- doing a theoretical project - one of the hardest projects to discuss, due to the depth of the concepts
Add that all together and you have one very difficult situation.
Somehow, I managed to not only speak fast enough to finish exactly on time (i.e. took up the 15 minutes allocated; I'm usually a fairly slow talker), but also communicate my complex project to a general scientific audience and still deliver an impromptu joke at the end (and got a laugh in response, which eased my nerves).

Everyone in the Honours cohort presented ridiculously well too. The quality of everyone's presentations was amazingly high and I don't think anyone scored less than 85%. That's 85% with the academic staff (i.e. the professionals) being harsh, by the way, which, as you can imagine, was not easy.

My coordinator probably thinks I'm slightly crazy for cheering like a madman and fist-pumping the air for some of my friends as they walked up and down for their presentations. In my defence, I'd say that was justified by the quality of their presentations and the reactions from the audience.
Thesis (the scarier part)
Pretty much the day after the oral presentations, most of us were writing our theses. The whole process kept going for the following few weeks.

We'd come to campus or hibernate at home, typing, reading articles and editing like crazy. Some had extra meetings with supervisors to discuss their results and discoveries in more depth. Some faced huge adversities by having to redo large quantities of stats several times, complete lengthy analyses in the space of a few days, have computers malfunction and rewrite entire sections of their thesis a week out from the deadline. If we ever came to chat, it'd become long conversations and venting our stress.

After all of that, the deadline (yesterday) arrived and everyone except those with extensions submitted.

"Wait, Angel Wings, does that mean...?" I hear you ask.

Yup, I'm done. (Well... effectively.) I finished Honours. I did it. It's over.

And I don't know how to feel about it.
Ecstatic? Sure. Anybody should be. Proud? Of course! Sad and strange because it's over? Sure, those too.
It's hard to think that I started this journal with basically zero knowledge on my project and a handful of friends. Fast forward to today and I've become friends with most of the cohort (which was already twice the size of normal cohorts to begin with), have countless memories to cherish and, somehow, I'm considered an expert in a niche field of research. It's pretty crazy when you look back. It's been such a journey that this journal will never be able to adequately express everything I want it to say. This year will not be forgotten any time soon.
Now, there's only one thing scarier that looms ahead of me. What's next? I've had a number of people ask me this already, having gone back to campus earlier today to tie up some loose ends. 
And the answer is that I simply don't know. All I know is that I need a break from study and so I won't be studying next year, although I'm hoping to do a PhD in a few years, if everything permits. I'm hoping to look for work again soon, but I think I'll need to take time and recover first. I haven't had a proper day off since I began Honours in mid-February/ early March, so I think I'm well overdue. I don't know what the future holds, but it looks promising. Until I figure things out, I'm going to hope for the best. And when the day comes that I do know what's next, I'll give it my all. 

Signing off until either results come out or something uni-related/ interesting happens, Angel Wings (a newly finished Honours student) out.     
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 10:18:59 am »
+7
CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing work - sounds as though it's been super hectic, but you're right: it's absolutely, 100% something to be proud of. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.