Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:15:33 am

Author Topic: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: Favourite Kitchen Appliance]  (Read 58832 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: TV shows growing up]
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:37 am »
The earlier seasons have more originality and more of an aloof plot. It gives the viewer a supposedly unknown scene and plot to each episode. However, with the new episodes, I find that it reflects moral ideals and issues facing society. The episodes are somewhat predictable in nature but the refinement in the animation really assists in storytelling (i miss those wacky animations you get when you randomly pause on an old episode though...). The new episodes aren't boring as many fans propose and I really hope the series continues well into the future (probs won't though :'(). The Simpsons just require it's silly plot lines again. What're your opinions?

Interesting. I find it difficult to say because I've barely watched anything post about Season 12 or 13 or so. I'm so in love with Seasons 1-10 that I started finding it difficult to watch newer stuff, so in a sense I'm sort of ignorant about the new ones.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2019, 03:37:49 pm »
+1
The earlier seasons have more originality and more of an aloof plot. It gives the viewer a supposedly unknown scene and plot to each episode. However, with the new episodes, I find that it reflects moral ideals and issues facing society. The episodes are somewhat predictable in nature but the refinement in the animation really assists in storytelling (i miss those wacky animations you get when you randomly pause on an old episode though...). The new episodes aren't boring as many fans propose and I really hope the series continues well into the future (probs won't though :'(). The Simpsons just require it's silly plot lines again. What're your opinions?
Personally, I've watched something like the first 24-26 seasons - but basically nothing from the last few years. I would disagree that the current episodes reflect current issues/situations more as I think this has always been quite a strength of "The Simpsons" series.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2019, 03:44:38 pm »
+1
Personally, I've watched something like the first 24-26 seasons - but basically nothing from the last few years. I would disagree that the current episodes reflect current issues/situations more as I think this has always been quite a strength of "The Simpsons" series.

As above, can't comment on basically any of the newer stuff, but definitely agree that older episodes absolutely nail social commentary.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2019, 05:00:50 pm »
+5
PROMPT: What's an activity/endeavour you've always wanted to pursue, but haven't?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: things you haven't pursued]
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2019, 07:04:22 pm »
+7
PROMPT: What's an activity/endeavour you've always wanted to pursue, but haven't?

Always wanted to do outdoor rock climbing. Almost did a few time but then the activity was cancelled :(

Used to regularly practice indoor rock climbing in (year 8-9 I think?) and enjoyed that + have done some outdoor abseiling which was fun (especially after I trained myself out of fear from my 1st failed attempt).

I love heights & as someone who grew up being very short for their age most of their life being able to reach high places was especially nice :)

sowhat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2019, 08:26:16 pm »
+8

Learning another language. I've always wanted to be fluent in another language other than english (preferably Russian) but life seems to get in the way and I never dedicate enough time to learn even the basics. I keep telling myself I will when I've finished school, but even then I've already got so many plans I don't think learning a language other than english will fit in to those plans.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:50 pm »
+7
Learning a musical instrument. Never learnt as a kid and I think it'd be cool to be able to play one, but it's very difficult to do with both money and time constraints now as an adult.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2019, 10:27:44 pm »
+7
Learning a European language. I've been very interested in German since I spent high school learning about German history, but also Germany has a thriving space agency so it would work out nicely (I've been considering an exchange, but I still need to do research on it).

I've also been meaning to learn how to use softwares such as AutoCAD or Python, or even simpler ones like Excel. I've heard how valuable these can be in Engineering (definitely AutoCAD and Excel, Python as well maybe) and I know that they have online classes on these subjects (e.g. Skillshare, Coursera) so I'd like to spend the holidays completing an online, self-paced course on one of these areas.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2019, 03:31:57 pm »
+7

Learning an instrument and learning another language are classics. I can play a bit of the guitar -- but not enough to say I know how. I can have very rudimentary conversations in Bulgarian, but I haven't made an effort to improve on that in years. I'lll get around to one of these things -- they're near the top of my list. Unfortunately, 'make a list' is at the very top of my list.

I love tattoos, so ideally I'd be covered by this point haha, but given I can't due to trying to keep a professional image for whatever-my-future-career-may-be, this is not the case.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2019, 03:49:41 pm »
+8

Learn an instrument- specifically the guitar. I did do a couple of guitar lessons when I was young but quit after months of lessons. I do regret that decision up to this day- so pursuing guitar again would be cool. Would like to learn how to play the violin but I don’t think I have time to learn an instrument nowadays.

I’ve always been fascinated by ice skating as well. Would like to know how to use Adobe After Effects because I would like to pursue motion graphics in the future.

Like Calebark mentioned above, getting a tattoo would be cool. I’ve wanted either a star (representing one of the symbols in my country’s flag) or a semi colon. Probably won’t get it now. Maybe in the future when I’ve moved out my house.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

ssillyssnakes

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2019, 07:44:26 am »
+3
I want to learn how to sew and knit and crochet and embroider really badly. I find the idea of make clothes and blankets that are personalised and made exactly for you or someone you care about really interesting and I think I'd enjoy it a ton

I want to move overseas and work as like an au pair for a year or so, I think that would be really interesting and I love languages so having the opportunity to work on them in the native country would be great.
2019: Bio [38 rip]

2020: Literature, Methods, Chemistry, and Classical Studies

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2019, 08:42:34 pm »
+1
I've always wanted to learn how to sing and dance. I've finally accepted the fact that I can't do either for the life of me  :P
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2019, 09:05:48 pm »
I've always wanted to learn how to sing and dance. I've finally accepted the fact that I can't do either for the life of me  :P

don't give up yet  :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2019, 06:59:44 am »
+4

I've always wanted to do a triathlon. I love swimming and riding my bike (and I use to do a bit of running) but I just never have. I stopped swimming a couple of years back and haven't been on a run in forever so I think that I'm a bit nervous to start back up because I don't think I'd be very good. I'm thinking that it will be a good future endeavour, perhaps when I have more time to go to the pool.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2019, 11:28:08 am »
+4

It's been a dream to own my own horse and learn how to ride it. I'm really not that advanced - I barely ride because all the horse riding places are very far away and are expensive. I've gone cantering a few times, and I absolutely love it. I always have a massive smile on my face as I'm whizzing past the trees and other people and it's only my horse and I. It honestly feels like we're flying. Hopefully when I'm older I can actually go to proper lessons and maybe even get my own horse!

I've also really wanted to learn a type of martial art. I've always been into fighting and the techniques associated with it, but I've never actually gotten to learning anything. Self-defence can be a very useful skill in this world right now too - but I'd mainly like to learn for the sheer curiosity and because it sounds super fun.

Okay this one is a bit extreme - but travel the world. I've always wanted to visit some of the world's most beautiful flora and fauna, as well as seeing the aurora borealis. I'd love to go to the safaris and national parks, as well as deserts and oceans and, I guess I have a lot I want to see :D. The reason I want to see so much is not just because of the obvious reasons, but also because I love to draw, and there's nothing better than sketching things you see with your own two eyes (I mean, Disney didn't bring real animals into their studios when they were animating for nothing!). Just the way animals move - the anatomy of their muscles can only really be grasped when you go out there and actually see it. The experience is so much more different from drawing looking at photographs. I'd love to end up with a sketchbook full of drawings of different animals, plants, scenery and buildings. It would be a once in a lifetime experience!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash