Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:32:05 pm

Author Topic: Methods 3/4 Questions  (Read 5669 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

Re: Methods 3/4 Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »
^ Very helpful, thanks a lot. What exactly does well-defined mean? I think I have some idea of what it means but it's not concrete for me

---

Other questions

1) In the Essential book, it says for the composition of g with f to be defined, the range of has to be a proper subset of the domain of g. Does this mean that the range has to be a subset of the domain of g but it can't EQUAL the domain of g?

----------

2) Let a be a positive number, let f: [2, infinity) -> R, f(x) = a-x and g: (-infinity, 1] -> R, g(x) = x^2+a. Find all values of a for which f o g and g o f both exist.

I got the correct answer but not after three tries and I'm looking for a more systemic way of doing it. The way I did it involved a bit of guessing and plugging in different numbers to check.

----------

3) For f: (-infinity, 2] -> R, f(x) = (x-2)^2

To find the inverse, how do you know to take the negative square root? Is the only way to tell just to look at the domain of f and hopefully realise that it must be the negative root to have as its range?

---------

4) Why is the horizontal translation in y=2^(-x+2) two units to the right and not left?

#1procrastinator

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 05:14:45 pm »
By the way TT (or anyone who can help), with the nested radical problem a few posts ago, is that method with the expression a+sqrt(b) a general way of dealing with such problems or is it a special case? e.g. do you use a+sqrt(b) if you're trying to simplify something in that form?

(different numbers to above)

nina_rox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
Questions: how do you find maximal domain of square root of (x-4/x+1)?
Thank you! :)

#1procrastinator

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »
+1
Not sure if this is right but here's how I did it (imagine => to be the equal to or greater sign lol)

We require (x-4)/(x+1) be equal to or greater than 0 so then you have either so either both the numerator and the denominator have to be positive or negative, so then if you set the them greater than 0 and less than zero, you get: x=>4 and x>-1 or x <=4 and x < -1

So then the domain would be (-infinity, -1) U [4, infinity)

Someone might want to check that :p

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »
+1
Not sure if this is right but here's how I did it (imagine => to be the equal to or greater sign lol)

We require (x-4)/(x+1) be equal to or greater than 0 so then you have either so either both the numerator and the denominator have to be positive or negative, so then if you set the them greater than 0 and less than zero, you get: x=>4 and x>-1 or x <=4 and x < -1

Looks all good.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

nina_rox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 08:22:58 am »

Thank you both so much! That makes much more sense now! :)

nina_rox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 08:25:41 am »
Another question if you could help:
If f(x) = -x^3 - 2x^2 + x + 3 rewrite so it is in form of (x-a)(b-x)(x+c) + r(x) where r(x) is the remainder?

Thank you! :)

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 05:08:57 pm »
+1
There are infinitely many correct answers to this question. Have you been given any value of a,b,c? (i.e is this just part of some bigger question)
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

nina_rox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 12:04:35 am »
Ooopps sorry forgot to post part a) Find the remainder of the function when it is divided by x+2? So I got a remainder of 1. Thanks for your help! :)

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »
+1
Ooopps sorry forgot to post part a) Find the remainder of the function when it is divided by x+2? So I got a remainder of 1. Thanks for your help! :)
We have the equation;

We know part of the equation;

We can expand this and put it in the same form;

Then consequently solve for coefficients;

Giving us;

or

So we have;

or

In which case I would go with the latter.
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

nina_rox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 07:35:10 pm »
Thank you so much, that makes much more sense! :)

#1procrastinator

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 10:52:02 am »
How do you rearrange this for x?

ln((x+4)/2) =2e^x-4

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 08:43:30 pm »
Just out of curiosity, is this part of some bigger problem? because I don't think there's a nice solution but perhaps you don't need to...

Just one stupid thing I noticed that doesn't help but makes me curious, x is the solution of f(f(x))=x where f is the function f(u)=ln((u+4)/2)
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

#1procrastinator

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 02:05:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure it was just solve for x (probably meant use a CAS) but if it was part of a bigger problem (I'll check), the biggest step was solving for x.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 10:43:49 am »
The original problem was for f(x) = 2e^x - 4, find the inverse function and then find the coordinates of the intersection of the two graphs