Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:51:29 pm

Author Topic: If you weren't studying what you're studying, what would you be studying?  (Read 7689 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
+2
What's your Plan B? :)
Keep ze maths, swap actuarial with computer science :P

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
+4
Probably Arts (with a dream Psychology, Philosophy, Anthropology and History quad major LOL) at Unimelb or ANU, or Bsc in Psychology/Neuroscience at University College London (the Psych labs and research centres over there are lit, which is why I'm planning to go there for exchange), or History/Anthropology/Economics at London School of Economics.

I mainly picked Science because it was broader than Biomed but still allowed me to fulfill the pre-reqs for med. Apart from Psychology/Neuroscience, I feel like I was interested in the other areas of science to get a decent level of knowledge in the area-Pure Maths, Stats, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Physics, but not enough to pursue a major in the area (I am doing a Physics major, just for the scientific/mathematical beauty LOL, but it has little relevance to my life or future). Given the high quality of science subjects (especially Physics) on online learning platforms like edx by MIT, I would prefer to pursue humanities (provided that there is a pathway to postgrad med after).

During year 12, I applied for everything, Biomed, Arts, Science at Unimelb (contemplated Commerce, but I didn't like any component of the course apart from Economics), Law at Monash (to 'use my ATAR'), PPE and PhB at ANU, Philosophy and Maths double at University College London (why Chemistry grades weren't high enough for the Science courses) and Philosophy and Economics double at London School of Economics. I chose Science at Unimelb because it offered a straightforward path to Med and London is too expensive.

A med and humanities double or humanities followed by med (in a nice city like Melbourne or London) would be my dream course.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
+2
Keep ze maths, swap actuarial with computer science :P

Once you enter CS, you'll never leave
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
+5
And once more I am left out, as the one not studying or intending to study anything. :'(

I have so many ideas that I suspect I'll be swapping round between multiple exceedingly different part-time endeavours for a while to come anyway... I don't even have a solid single path I'm probably heading.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
+2
Once you enter CS, you'll never leave
Lol. Sensing bias :P

But yeah, for me artificial intelligence is becoming interesting.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
+4
Lol. Sensing bias :P

But yeah, for me artificial intelligence is becoming interesting.

Duh.... I'm always biased and love to see those interested in the CS & IT space.

It's such a fascinating area to explore :) Perfect too given we'll soon be taken over by our robot overlords
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
+3
And once more I am left out, as the one not studying or intending to study anything. :'(

I have so many ideas that I suspect I'll be swapping round between multiple exceedingly different part-time endeavours for a while to come anyway... I don't even have a solid single path I'm probably heading.
Hi 5!

I don't have a solid path as well (even after studying at uni for 3 years, HAHA)
Oh wait it's nothing to be laughing at (but I guess laughter is better than sadness) :P.

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
+5

Legit me. Yesterday I wanted to be a nurse, and now I want to be an agronomist. What even *flips table*
2017: VCE COMPLETED

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
+15
Never really told anyone about this, but I always secretly wanted to go to Monash to do a double degree of Science/Law; it was my first preference after Biomed at Melbourne. I live in western regional Victoria and have to catch the train 2 hours each way just to get to uni, meaning the inner-city unis (RMIT/unimelb) were basically my only options. I didn't receive any scholarship offers apart from a $32,500 scholarship to Monash, which was outside the realm of feasible commuting, to study law. It was really tempting. It would've meant, however, that I had to move away from home and basically look after myself and abandon helping my family business in order to do so. One of my biggest regrets in life was letting my parents make the decision for me that I shouldn't go there.

I honestly have no clue why I ended up picking Biomed, but I know it wasn't earnestly for the right reasons. It's easy to complain and wonder what life would be like if I were to have taken the scholarship and dissociate myself from my family, but it also would've meant moving away from my girlfriend at the time and would've forced me to grow up a lot faster; truthfully, that's probably something I was scared of and didn't really want to face at the time. It's impossible to say if I made the right decision, but it's always interesting to entertain this alternate, hypothetical world.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:18:39 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
+3
Never really told anyone about this, but I always secretly wanted to go to Monash to do a double degree of Science/Law; it was my first preference after Biomed at Melbourne. I live in western regional Victoria and have to catch the train 2 hours each way just to get to uni, meaning the inner-city unis (RMIT/unimelb) were basically my only options. I didn't receive any scholarship offers apart from a $32,500 scholarship to Monash, which was outside the realm of feasible commuting, to study law. It was really tempting. It would've meant, however, that I had to move away from home and basically look after myself and abandon helping my family business in order to do so. One of my biggest regrets in life was letting my parents make the decision for me that I shouldn't go there.

I honestly have no clue why I ended up picking Biomed, but I know it wasn't earnestly for the right reasons. It's easy to complain and wonder what life would be like if I were to have taken the scholarship and dissociate myself from my family, but it also would've meant moving away from my girlfriend at the time and would've forced me to grow up a lot faster; truthfully, that's probably something I was scared of and didn't really want to face at the time. It's impossible to say if I made the right decision, but it's always interesting to entertain this alternate, hypothetical world.
Thank you so much for sharing. You could always do the JD :) (or transfer!)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
+5
Thank you so much for sharing. You could always do the JD :) (or transfer!)
It's funny that you mentioned this, actually. I was just talking to someone about my above post and the idea of doing Biomedicine --> JD. It was something I was thinking about a lot (as ridiculous as it sounds) in year 12.

Here's a post on Atarnotes that I made about it a few years ago: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=150050.msg857414#msg857414

Incidentally, I remember trying to explain this plan to my assessors in my German exam for VCE when they asked what my future plans were. I think, right now, I won't be sitting the LSAT because I don't have a strong conviction towards doing law, and don't want to do it without full motivation. I honestly have really widespread academic interests, but the more I question the path I want to take, the further away I get from a decision. But, hey, who knows? Maybe I'll end up in the JD in a few years time, it's all pretty impossible to say for certain now.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
+6
If I weren't doing medicine, I'd be doing medicine. There is only medicine. The end.

Jokes aside, I'd be doing Teaching without a doubt. Often tell myself that if medicine breaks me I'd go and do an MTeach :p Law could be fun, too. I think I'd probably enjoy that sort of stuff, but I'm not sure that I'd deal very well with the environment of law.

2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
Probably would do comm @ UoM (onto JD) or comm/law monash.

or dent @ latrobe -> although I was reluctant to consider it it put it very low (7 or 8 ) on my prefs

Currently doing biomed but still unsure whether I really want to do medicine so it'll probably just be a toss up between that and a JD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:15:08 am by Sine »